Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Bit of Expo News

Just wanted to tell you that one of my expositions that just commenced about three weeks ago sold two of my images, part of a series and there are two more on order, and no I won't tell you what they sold for..I don't want to piss you guys off....

None the less they are not from LUMAS which are large quantity limited editions but a 5 series limited edition from:

PhotoVintage.fr - Achat, Vente, photos d'art

News came a couple days after Christmas.

01-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, Happy Christmas Ben !
( completely jealous btw ... )
01-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

Well, although I'm new here, I guess this is no news. Congratulations.

Personally, I do not consider myself capable of fashion photography as I am kinda shy. If I had to work with models, my hands would shake so much that the SR of my k10D would probably fry. So, I shoot landscapes (and not as often as I would like I must say).

And Ben, is the K20D anything like the fake image of the K1D posted in some other thread here ?
01-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
Well, although I'm new here, I guess this is no news. Congratulations.

Personally, I do not consider myself capable of fashion photography as I am kinda shy. If I had to work with models, my hands would shake so much that the SR of my k10D would probably fry. So, I shoot landscapes (and not as often as I would like I must say).

And Ben, is the K20D anything like the fake image of the K1D posted in some other thread here ?
Now that is really FUNNY.....

OH and the new K20D if that's what you want to call it, actually looks more like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/16095-could-new-pentax-20dx.html

How you like it? But keep it our secret..OK?

Thanks
Ben

01-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations Ben, and I know that you worked hard for that.

Don't worry, I won't tell everyone that you sold them for a whopping $20.00 each, including rights.

Woops, sorry I wasn't supposed to say that out loud
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Congratulations Ben, and I know that you worked hard for that.

Don't worry, I won't tell everyone that you sold them for a whopping $20.00 each, including rights.

Woops, sorry I wasn't supposed to say that out loud
You might want to multiply that figure by 300 and change it to euros...€ Now that is if you believe me.

You could call the Gallery and ask what a 1.20 x 0.80 meter image would cost and that way you would know for sure
01-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe you Ben, Like I said I know that you worked hard for it.

I wish that I'd get 1/2 that for my pictures.

In your personal opinion can someone expect even a fraction of that until they get their name and reputation out there?
01-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I believe you Ben, Like I said I know that you worked hard for it.

I wish that I'd get 1/2 that for my pictures.

In your personal opinion can someone expect even a fraction of that until they get their name and reputation out there?
You know, I can't answer that question. There are so many factors that cannot be computed in the arts. It isn't a rigid tangible item that can be formalized in to a rule. I don't know if it is the 25 odd years I have been expressing myself through photography or if the culmination of experience reaches a tipping point. I really don't know.

I'll think about it more and try to formulate an answer.

Best Wishes
Ben

01-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've been curious about this Ben for some time now, and this seems like a good a time as any to ask, how do you get your work? Do you have an agent, does Pentax hunt down jobs for you? Do you enter 'contests' to have you work chosen? Are you hired on by designers and the like? Do you interview for assignments? How does all that work?
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I've been curious about this Ben for some time now, and this seems like a good a time as any to ask, how do you get your work? Do you have an agent, does Pentax hunt down jobs for you? Do you enter 'contests' to have you work chosen? Are you hired on by designers and the like? Do you interview for assignments? How does all that work?
Pentax??? No way...Pentax has zero input in my getting work...

It is through a photo agent, referrals and Gallery agents. The more you get published the greater the notoriety and the greater the notoriety the greater the desirability and the greater the desirability the higher the fees etc etc etc.

Here is the standard process:

The Photo Agent represents the photographer. They are in constant communication with all of the Ad Agencies, Press Agents etc. The process kind of goes like this...

An Ad Agency will have a client and the agency will know what the client budget is for the year for Communications, Media, B to B, B to C etc. The agency will suggest certain marketing solutions to the client. Based on the analysis, decisions will be made as to which solutions best suit the clients' goals. Is it Internet, Press, PLV, Viral, Events, PLV's etc. Once the decision is made and if they decide to do an image related Ad Campaign the next steps follow suit.

There is a briefing by the agency with the commercial side of the clients sector. Based on that the Creative Director and Account Executive will discuss the client needs. Based on the briefing the CD will speak with internal traffic of the Ad Agency to find an Art Director or Director's based on the size of the budget and Copy-writing team to work with the AD. They always work in couples AD & CW. The CD will brief them vaguely to give them a lot of latitude but based on the client briefing. Once a concept is accepted by the agency they present it to the client. If it is accepted the next step follows. An Art Buyer will be shown the layout that was accepted by the client. Based on the style of the layout the Art Buyer will start to contact talent that will be able to fulfill that criteria. She/He will contact the Photographer Agents to call in books of Photographers that might relate to the style being sought. This is the same for Still Life, Autos, Beauty, Fashion, Architecture, Tourism etc.

After looking at several books, three to five are chosen by the agency. These books will go with the CD, AD AE to the client. The AD will generally have a preference and fight for it on occasion. The client has the final say, with some diplomatic coaxing. Now prior to that meeting the AB knew the daily rate of the photographer. This doesn't include royalties.

Once the photographer has been chosen the Photographer and the Photographer Agent will come to the agency to be briefed by the AB, AD and often CD. The AB will ask which team they wish to work with. I.e, Model agency (model or model's), hair, make-up, fashion/beauty stylist, set designer, retoucher, studio, lights etc. The AB will negotiate with the agents of all of the above talent in a similar fashion as was done with the photographer. Dates for the shoot are coordinated and confirmed. On the day of the shoot a team of up to twenty people may be on the set. Agency, Client and Team. Payment is 90 days from presentation of final image..

Hope this was helpful.

Ben
01-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, I will stick to my desk jobs and keep photography as a hobby.

Very helpfull insight to your world, thanks.
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

OH and the new K20D if that's what you want to call it, actually looks more like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/16095-could-new-pentax-20dx.html

I KNEW IT !!!
01-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax??? No way...Pentax has zero input in my getting work...

It is through a photo agent, referrals and Gallery agents. The more you get published the greater the notoriety and the greater the notoriety the greater the desirability and the greater the desirability the higher the fees etc etc etc.

Here is the standard process:
[snip]

Hope this was helpful.

Ben
Looking at your work product , you surely do deserve the big Euros. Wonderful imagery!

Do any of the crew costs come out of your pocket? I did some commercial work years ago. Mostly technical/product 6x6cm photography with some food and portraits on the side, but I dealt directly with the client and worked alone. Kept more of the $$$$ that way.
01-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Tips regarding working with photo agents would be sweet..
01-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #15

Ben actually wrote an article on setting up the shoot, can't remember what site I saw it on though.