Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, so did I. Of course, I haven't had a K-01 email yet.........
I have!

02-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I skip an Optio WR/WG generation or two, so it's time to "retire" my W80. I will be getting this one.

When I get this one, it will be the 4th generation I have owned.

I love having an Optio WR/WG with me in my camera bag.
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've only ever had one weather resistant camera and no waterproof/shockproof etc, but I have been contemplating one and I have also been contemplating a Pentax compact for the P&S contests... I rather like the look of this as killing two birds etc. That Panny FT3 is now off the list of possibles.
02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I rather like the look of this as killing two birds etc. That Panny FT3 is now off the list of possibles.
I would advise holding off on that decision until this new WG2 can be properly tested. I loved the design of the WG1, and I was about to get one, but then I read some reviews. The WG1 was a big step backwards in IQ from the W90. Shadow noise was worse, highlights were more easily blown, and the beautiful underwater colors of the W90 were suddenly bland and muddy. The fact that it doesn't shoot in RAW means that you need to get it right at the time of capture. That's what stopped me from buying the WG1, but hopefully the WG2 with it's backlit CMOS will be a step back in the right direction. The 16 MP worries me though, shadow noise and diffraction are going to be issues to overcome.

02-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I would advise holding off on that decision until this new WG2 can be properly tested. I loved the design of the WG1, and I was about to get one, but then I read some reviews. The WG1 was a big step backwards in IQ from the W90. Shadow noise was worse, highlights were more easily blown, and the beautiful underwater colors of the W90 were suddenly bland and muddy. The fact that it doesn't shoot in RAW means that you need to get it right at the time of capture. That's what stopped me from buying the WG1, but hopefully the WG2 with it's backlit CMOS will be a step back in the right direction. The 16 MP worries me though, shadow noise and diffraction are going to be issues to overcome.
Oh dear. OK, will take advice and hold off. I don't think I had registered that they have boosted the Mp to 16. Whats up with that, anyway, cramming so many onto a 1/2.3, just crazy. I've just lost a little of my interest, after all.
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If the IQ on this is decent I'm definetely getting one.
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If the IQ on this is decent I'm definetely getting one.
It's all about the IQ. Sadly the Pentax P&S line has not fared well at all in the IQ department sending me to Fuji, Canon, and Panasonic.
02-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote

... And the dragon comes in the niiiiiiiiiiiight!!
Trogdor!!!!

02-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #24

Frankly, there are no good waterproof cameras out there. The lens is too constricted and getting a waterproof case is just, well, its just too expensive, easily can equal, if not double the cost of the camera in the first place.

That being said, with enough available light, any camera will put out a nice workable image. I'll probably pick up one of these to use as my general point and shoot and just keep it on my key ring.
02-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It's all about the IQ. Sadly the Pentax P&S line has not fared well at all in the IQ department sending me to Fuji, Canon, and Panasonic.
Me too, though no Pannies now. But I went mostly with Olympus and Ricoh. I LOVE Ricoh GRD
02-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I skip an Optio WR/WG generation or two, so it's time to "retire" my W80. I will be getting this one.

When I get this one, it will be the 4th generation I have owned.

I love having an Optio WR/WG with me in my camera bag.
I still have my soon to be 6 year old W10 My daughter has the W80, though, and while the lens obviously is much better than in my W10, the high-ISO performance of the W80 is really a disappointment. I think it's unusable from ISO 200 and up.

But the mention of a backlit CMOS sensor in the WG-2 really gets me interested. I have high hopes that Pentax finally has made a waterproof with a sensor that works better at slightly higher ISOs. Which it really needs! Even snorkeling in very shallow water you quickly need quite high ISO (because you need fast shutter times and even quite clear water absorbs more light than you would think).
02-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This one has an (Sony Exmor?) Backlit CMOS sensor at its heart, so image quality should be a decisive step up. Previous Optio WP/WGs were quite sharp but suffered from noise, whereas the Sony waterproof compacts had low(er) noise but seemed less sharp. So I am contemplating this one too, if I can get over the adolescent design touches!
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #28
Site Supporter

The most intriguing camera I find from Ricoh is the PX:

RICOH PX / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

This camera gets raves for everything BUT the IQ and a couple of design glitches. For some reason Ricoh doesn't "get" ISO.

If Pentax/Ricoh can get this new tough WG-2 out there with and the more stylish PX, and if both could have better IQ especially in the ISO department, then they have a good product range.

One thing smartphone cameras are not is rugged. This is a niche where P&S will still thrive. But it is all about IQ.

And it is an excellent price.
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
One thing smartphone cameras are not is rugged. This is a niche where P&S will still thrive. But it is all about IQ.
Yeah, I think so too. I find my iPhone is surprisingly (very) appropriate for many kinds of quick snaps, specially if light is good. The only reason I would buy a compact camera is for weather-proofiness (does that word exist?). I mean, look at the left. I'm from Brazil. Beach, waterfalls and fishing every weekend
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Has anyone got their hands on a WG-2 to test the image quality?