Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #31

I'll wait and see.
I've got an Olympus Stylus/tough a few models back, and it's fine. I've taken it underwater and all over.
Night/flash images are awful but otherwise it does OK for what it is.
I've heard multiple stories now of Optios weather-sealing failing, with no support from Pentax/lack of standing behind the product. If that's the case, and a "waterproof/shockproof/rugged" camera simply isn't, there are very likely better P&S cameras out there.

I'd love to have an "upgrade path" for a rugged P&S for my Olympus, but until I see some confirmation that the WG2 is in fact rugged/durable/waterproof as claimed and reliable, I won't be jumping on this one.

03-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
I've heard multiple stories now of Optios weather-sealing failing, with no support from Pentax/lack of standing behind the product. If that's the case, and a "waterproof/shockproof/rugged" camera simply isn't, there are very likely better P&S cameras out there.
For what it's worth, we have both a W10 and a W80 at home. The W10 is 6 years old and has endured lots of swims in salt water and pool water, sand, dust, strong cold etc.
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious too. It also has an optional chest harness for POV video which could be fun. But a camera like this isn't part of a system so they need to get the features, IQ, and price point right or we can just buy someone else's rugged camera.
03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I tried before without even a response. Maybe now with Ricoh they may answer...
Perhaps you need to remind them that you're in the US ....

03-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Pentaxian

NIce picture, but where's the poop?
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #36

hoping the image quality is better than previous pentax waterproof cameras but if it is i will defiantely get one of these it looks damn cool
03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It might be interesting to compare this camera to the Q. The sensor is the same size, and it uses the same backlit technology but has a higher resolution. Hopefully the Q's higher-quality lenses and manual controls still give it an edge!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will be buying one in the coming months! I skip an Optio WG generation or two, but I always have one in my camera bag or purse. I LOVE the Optio WGs. Perfect extreme cameras!
03-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #39
Veteran Member

for adventures I would love to see f1.8 aperture and 720p 60fps. The large aperture can be useful for underwater and low light. and 60 fps for slow mo replay.
03-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I also looking for this type of camera to put in my bag. Waterproof and GPS is really what I want it has.
But as some reviews saying that the battery drain too fast.

The pentax really get the 'tough' camera design right in my opinion.

If it has raw option, I would pick up one right away already...
I love the look of Gen I (in bright orange!) more than the Gen II.
03-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I also looking for this type of camera to put in my bag. Waterproof and GPS is really what I want it has.
But as some reviews saying that the battery drain too fast.

The pentax really get the 'tough' camera design right in my opinion.

If it has raw option, I would pick up one right away already...
I love the look of Gen I (in bright orange!) more than the Gen II.
Well if it is because of GPS, this is no surprise. GPS is a battery sucker, really.
I still think a stand alone trekker GPS is a better idea. Less convenient but runs way longer on batteries and serves other purposes than just geotaging...
03-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Hideous looking camera. Looks like an accessory out of an early 2000s computer game
03-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Perhaps you need to remind them that you're in the US ....
After months and emails I never got a response. Not even directed to a distributor or even a retailer. Heck, not even a "NO". I could have sold a bunch of these by now. And they wonder why their market share is so low here in the US.
03-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I tried before without even a response. Maybe now with Ricoh they may answer...
My experience with Pentax USA customer service has been correspondingly frustrating. About half of my queries get a result, I'd say — although 90% of the time when they do get a response, I know more than the responder does.
03-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
Pentaxian

It's crazy, back when there was a Pentax Benelux in Zaventem, Belgium. I was akid at the time (well, teen would be more appropriate) and asked them per email if they had informations/marketing stuff for their new cam. I think it was MZ-7. I received the usual brochure etc and... a 4"x5" slide with sleeve of a front shot of MZ-7.

I wouldn't call that bad marketing at all. Those guys were really VERY nice. Too bad. F**k you Hoya.