Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
My 2cts about the tele lens ...
Falk, my question to you: why would Pentax even bother with a simple spotting scope design? We all know that Pentax is all about IQ, and it's 30 years ago that the last non-ED tele lens was made for the Pentax system (and for a reason; I hated ALL old long tele lenses with regards to sharpness, CA and PF).

Why bring out a lens which will exhibit the dreaded CA around branches and leaves when birding? That would be a step backwards. I'd rather have no tele lens at all than such a "bad" tele lens...

02-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Falk, my question to you: why would Pentax even bother with a simple spotting scope design? We all know that Pentax is all about IQ, and it's 30 years ago that the last non-ED tele lens was made for the Pentax system (and for a reason; I hated ALL old long tele lenses with regards to sharpness, CA and PF).

Why bring out a lens which will exhibit the dreaded CA around branches and leaves when birding? That would be a step backwards. I'd rather have no tele lens at all than such a "bad" tele lens...
I really hope you are right and that this is the way that Pentax is thinking. My only concern would be how much price is dominating the picture.

I have my fingers crossed that Pentax won't go the K-mount spotting scope route as a result of trying to reduce costs to an absolute minimum
02-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Falk, my question to you: why would Pentax even bother with a simple spotting scope design?
I don't expect a design this simple. But I also don't expect a good glass design like in a true FA* lens. Not anymore after thinking about why they made reference to astronomical scopes and dropped the Star designation ...

And that the design will indeed be based on a scope because it is a 4" aperture exactly.

I think they want to fill the 500mm gap with a lens still "affordable" to their target audience, i.e, something in the $1500 price range. Something like the 50-200mm kit zoom.

Unfortunately, this is not what Pentaxians kept requesting all the years

OTOH, I am speculating here and I wholeheartely hope to be proven wrong
02-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #94
Pentaxian

OTOH, I am speculating here and I wholeheartely hope to be proven wrong
Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on this. It makes no sense to bring out crap in that focal length. I can tolerate some CA and PF (my A* 300/4 has some too, but not excessively) so let's see how it performs...

02-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on this. It makes no sense to bring out crap in that focal length. I can tolerate some CA and PF (my A* 300/4 has some too, but not excessively) so let's see how it performs...
Pentax could get away with making a budget 560mm /f5.6 if they brought out a DA* 500mm f/4 at the same time. But that's not happening.
02-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #96
Veteran Member

so let's see how it performs...
Yeah, let's.
02-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #97
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I very much welcome Pentax to embrace the technical possibilty to recess "special" lenses into the mirror box left empty by K-01 and successors.

The particular lens depicted above may be in the ~20 mm focal range and seems to be rather fast.
If Pentax develops XS lenses line for K-01, the body size will be secondary thing. XS - it seems to me EXTRA SMALL - the smallest pancakes.

02-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #98
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Pentax could get away with making a budget 560mm /f5.6 if they brought out a DA* 500mm f/4 at the same time. But that's not happening.
pay attention that all names of lenses are tentative...

DA560/5.6 could be DA*560/5.6 DC WR (IF) IMO
02-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If Pentax develops XS lenses line for K-01, the body size will be secondary thing. XS - it seems to me EXTRA SMALL - the smallest pancakes.
I think that's exactly the plan. Pentax already has a reputation for making supreme, very small lenses, so why not make it a unique selling point for the K-01?

I for one like Pentax's approach (chunky body, tiny lenses) more than Sony's (tiny body, mega-huge lenses)
02-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Let's wait until we'll find out some details about the 560mm f/5.6 before complaining, ok?

About the new K-01 lens; I'm curios if Pentax did something to prevent it to be mounted on a DSLR/SLR without touching the mirror. Or maybe they didn't? The K-01 mount looks like a SLR one.
02-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #101
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
its an 16 or 18mm f2- 2.8 lens. that is my guess. If I were putting money on..........
I think - from 12 till 18 mm.
02-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Hope that's any kind of wide angle. something between 18 and 24mm. F2 would be awesome. In that case, I'd buy the KaiserOne and this lens without any hesitation...
02-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
pay attention that all names of lenses are tentative...

DA560/5.6 could be DA*560/5.6 DC WR (IF) IMO
Yes I know.

That's why I said budget DA 560/5.6 vs. a DA* 500mm f/4. The 560 could be a DA* rather than a DA but in which case it wouldn't be a budget lens. Currently we don't know what standard this lens is aimed at.

My point was that if this 560mm was designed to hit the lowest price point possible that's fine, as long as Pentax also provide a higher cost telephoto as well. I say this because people haven't been asking for a budget telephoto they've been asking for an FA* style remake.

To my mind it makes more sense, from a marketing perspective, to hit 400 or 500mm as a Bigma style zoom if you are aiming for the lowest price point. Such a lens could then be badged simply as DA without raising or lowering expectations.

Also I should say that although the discussion has been couched in terms of DA* versus DA. DA* immediately adds an expectation of a certain leve of performance, cost and features but it's perfectly possible for DA lens to be very good.
02-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I for one like Pentax's approach (chunky body, tiny lenses) more than Sony's (tiny body, mega-huge lenses)
If you like carrying a lot of lenses, with the Sony system you end up carrying quite a bit extra weight for the shake reduction system in (some of) the lenses, and for longer lenses you also have to carry a lot of tubes that you only need once on a K-mount system
02-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Don't get too excited by the 560 yet.... it might be a mirror lens
An autofocus mirrorlens?! With only f5.6? That would be an engineering miracle. Let's hope it IS a mirror lens.