Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the latest response from Canon to Pentax's new product announcements!

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am delighted that Pentax is announcing new products, I don't think I'm interested in anything mentioned so far but it is certainly a great thing for Pentax.

But I do have a concern about the new XS line of lenses. if they are truly k-mount then they will fit on any k-mount camera, right? So what happens when someone mounts that rear protruding lens on their k-x or k-r? Do we have a repair on the mirror coming up? If it is designed not to mount on a camera that it would harm then it is not truly k-mount, and if it does mount on all k-mount cameras then it is not K-01 exclusive.

I am confused.
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it is designed not to mount on a camera that it would harm then it is not truly k-mount, and if it does mount on all k-mount cameras then it is not K-01 exclusive.
Maybe that's why they designated some lenses on the K-01 as "XS" - these won't fit on normal K-mount cameras. It's like the... special line for K-0* series

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Now, if they introduce something similar to the now discontinued 18-250mm and price it right,
There's also that in the lens roadmap, though with that big a range, I don't think that would be easy for newbies to get too. But good investment, yes!
02-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But I thought that it was clear that the DA 40 XS will fit on any K-mount DSLR?

02-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Also it's quite a long lens design judging by the protruding rear tube...
Yes, physically long, but most probably with a short focal length.
02-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But I thought that it was clear that the DA 40 XS will fit on any K-mount DSLR?
Yes, but it looks like the upcoming, nameless wide-angle (?) XS lens probably won't.
02-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Yes, but it looks like the upcoming, nameless wide-angle (?) XS lens probably won't.
That's a shame, because it means the K-mount family will split into two. And one can be dropped later on. The K-01 was a confirmation that Pentax is committed to the K-mount... until now.

02-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #128
Pentaxian

That's a shame, because it means the K-mount family will split into two. And one can be dropped later on. The K-01 was a confirmation that Pentax is committed to the K-mount... until now.
However, it's a strong sign that Pentax wants to go ahead with the K-mount. Mirrorless is the future, if you want it or not.

Edit: woohoo, my 2000th post

Last edited by Asahiflex; 02-09-2012 at 03:58 AM.
02-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe Pentax/Ricoh is committed to k-mount. Otherwise they wouldn't have released the 560mm lense. At least that one doesn't look like it has any protrusions.

I'm thinking a higher end mirrorless is in the future to use the XS lenses.

It's also really a great way to kick-start the mirrorless series by offering the entire k-mount lens lineup until they get their XS lenses going. This is definitely a multi-pronged attack to quickly acquire market share. I also suspect the XS lenses will be mostly pancakes where it will address criticism of the thickness of the body by having thinner lenses.

This is going to be a GREAT year.
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Mirrorless is the future, if you want it or not.
Nope: mirrorless is the past. Remember, nowadays people UPgrade from (mirrorless) point&shoots to mirrored cameras. Why take a step backwards to mirrorless, if you can shoot DSLR?!

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Edit: woohoo, my 2000th post
Congrats
02-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope: mirrorless is the past. Remember, nowadays people UPgrade from (mirrorless) point&shoots to mirrored cameras. Why take a step backwards to mirrorless, if you can shoot DSLR?!

Because entry level viewfinders suck?
02-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Because entry level viewfinders suck?
Not as much as no viewfinders.
02-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not as much as no viewfinders.
Word!
02-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Definitely not, because the "in-protuding" lenses will necessarily have to be limited in focal length, hence limited in number (for example the "leica ranges"), otherwise the "compactness" advantage falls apart.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-09-2012 at 06:20 AM.
02-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Definitely not, because the "in-protuding" lenses will necessarily have to be limited in focal lens, hence number, otherwise the "compactness" advantage falls apart.
I agree. This trick makes great sense for wide angles and wide to longer zooms. No advantage for normal and tele lenses.