Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's a shame, because it means the K-mount family will split into two.
No, APSC crop, no aperture ring and SDM only have already forked the family. And theoretically, the protruding XS lenses could be usable with mirror lockup ión SLRs with LV too.

02-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And theoretically, the protruding XS lenses could be usable with mirror lockup ión SLRs with LV too.
Sounds risky.
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #138
Veteran Member

No, APSC crop, no aperture ring and SDM only have already forked the family. And theoretically, the protruding XS lenses could be usable with mirror lockup ión SLRs with LV too.
That would be really cool though. Do you think a firmware upgrade & menu option would make that possible with e.g. a K5? The functionality basically is already there.

...Just don't want to think about the horror that human error could invoke!
02-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I believe Pentax/Ricoh is committed to k-mount. Otherwise they wouldn't have released the 560mm lense. At least that one doesn't look like it has any protrusions.

I'm thinking a higher end mirrorless is in the future to use the XS lenses.

It's also really a great way to kick-start the mirrorless series by offering the entire k-mount lens lineup until they get their XS lenses going. This is definitely a multi-pronged attack to quickly acquire market share. I also suspect the XS lenses will be mostly pancakes where it will address criticism of the thickness of the body by having thinner lenses.

This is going to be a GREAT year.
I am surprised this point isn't being made loudly and clearly (and repeatedly) until the bloggers and reviewers append it to the obligatory "brick" clause.

And lest I forget: Be of good cheer Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.

02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not as much as no viewfinders.
The initial question had to do with why people would want to upgrade to mirrorless if they could go to an SLR. My answer indicated that mirrorless, particularly with a decent EVF, is better than the current entry level viewfinders. EVFs will come down in price, OVFs are what they are. Mirrorless with or without EVF is the future.
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I wish it had been a 50mm/f1.2 or even better a 30mm/f1.2
so do i but reality is the cheap fast 50 is a big hole in the line that will sell in huge volumes compared to a 1.2 which will be damn expensive
Canon and Nikon sell boatloads of the cheap ones so it's a better profit generator than a high price lens since it will turn fast and not tie up inventory dollars
02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sounds risky.
Why? Of course, I assumed a firmware upgrade, enforcing MLU with a protruding XS lens.

02-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
so do i but reality is the cheap fast 50 is a big hole in the line that will sell in huge volumes compared to a 1.2 which will be damn expensive
Canon and Nikon sell boatloads of the cheap ones so it's a better profit generator than a high price lens since it will turn fast and not tie up inventory dollars
Volume from K-01, XS lenses and a cheap, fast 50, even if not directly profitable to Pentax, helps B&M retailers "make" the minimum stocking / minimum revenue direct buying targets.

Pentax can use that volume as a lever to develop new Dealers, expand shelf in existing Dealers and rebuild a crew of Dealer Reps.

This will be necessary in 2013-2014 as we will see.
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Volume from K-01, XS lenses and a cheap, fast 50, even if not directly profitable to Pentax, helps B&M retailers "make" the minimum stocking / minimum revenue direct buying targets.

Pentax can use that volume as a lever to develop new Dealers, expand shelf in existing Dealers and rebuild a crew of Dealer Reps.

This will be necessary in 2013-2014 as we will see.
Hoya/Pentax US screwed the B&M guys with some of those policies and that is why it's hardly at retail in the US - it did however prevent the big losses nikon and canon took on ritz
02-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only lens of these that I may get one day is the pancake, and only if I decide to go with the K-01 or the next mirrorless. The 560mm in particular will never be mine. But I understand that it is important for the brand in general to have a long telephoto that a certain segment needs (and another segment drools at :-).
02-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Why? Of course, I assumed a firmware upgrade, enforcing MLU with a protruding XS lens.
But that assumes that everyone does the firmware upgrade. The level of awareness in a Pentax forum is higher than average. What about everyone else? Some don't know what firmware is, and don't want to know.

As an engineer, I'm sure you're familiar with "idiot-proofing". I could see compatibilty with new cameras if they've implemented some sort of key in the mount, so that you can't lock one of these on an older camera. New DSLR's could accomodate the key and intruding lenses.
02-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Because there are people that will forget that their mirror is down while they mount such a lens. Automatic MLU when camera off would prevent that though. But will everybody automatically do the firmware upgrade?

Making the mirrorless-only lenses available for DSLR's too would be beneficial for Pentaxes sales too.
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Nope, it needs hardware changes to make sure the mirror would be mechanically locked up even with the camera turned off and without batteries.
I don't think the current cameras would be able to do that only with a firmware change.
02-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #149

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
As an engineer, I'm sure you're familiar with "idiot-proofing".
Nothing is idiot proof to a determined idiot!

I am excited about the new lenses and all the other good news of late! The only bad thing is that the doom and gloomers will not be selling their equipment for cheap!
02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Not everything has to be idiot proof. If you're going to drop a grand on a camera and some lenses, you share some burden in knowing if they're compatible or not.

As others have pointed out, this is not unprecedented.