Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nope, it needs hardware changes to make sure the mirror would be mechanically locked up even with the camera turned off and without batteries.
I don't think the current cameras would be able to do that only with a firmware change.
I don't think the rear elements interfere with the mirror itself in the 'mirror down' position; I think they interfere with the mirror 'swing'.

If true, you can still error proof when the camera is turned off, etc. The camera just won't allow the shutter button to do anything when pressed.

If false your concerns are valid.

02-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Yes, it looks it won't touch the mirror when in down position. However, I was talking about the case when the mirror is up, and the camera is turned off or the battery dies (the mirror would go down then).

I think this could be something like the EF-S, i.e. maybe the lens can be used with future DSLRs (a modification of the mirror mechanism would be necessary). The protrusion doesn't seems so big.
But I'm not sure if Pentax wants this, or to go all the way and make a mirrorless-only (i.e. longer protrusions possible) solution.
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Hoya/Pentax US screwed the B&M guys with some of those policies and that is why it's hardly at retail in the US - it did however prevent the big losses nikon and canon took on ritz
Yes, they raised the floor nuimbers to the point that almost all of them had to drop Pentax. At least in St. Louis we still have a 9-store Indie who buys direct.

Combine Pentax, Ricoh, product, volume and some willingness to build realtionships and our long-stated truism that people won't buy cameras they can't hold first might finally be address.

Did you see Pentax is the featured camera of a Safari COmpany (announcement thread in News). They're MARKETING!!!

Next jawdropping surprise I expect to see is a network TV ad campaign. How about NCAA Basketball Final Four?

Well. Ricoh has a plan but it probably doesn't include that.
02-09-2012, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't think the rear elements interfere with the mirror itself in the 'mirror down' position; I think they interfere with the mirror 'swing'.
No, but it's pretty close. Lets hope the mirror mechanism is built to not be damaged if locked down by the lens.

On a FF though there will be mirror damage if a lens is forced into the mount.

02-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Perhaps a rubberized-outer coating will actually 'gently brush' the mirror to remind you that it won't work?

Nevermind, just typing out loud.
02-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Perhaps a rubberized-outer coating will actually 'gently brush' the mirror to remind you that it won't work?

Nevermind, just typing out loud.
More likely -- or, what I would do if I were Pentax -- there will be firmware upgrades for the recent/popular Pentax DSLRs that read the chip in the lens and refuse to fire off the shot (accompanied by a helpful error message) if the new XS lens is mounted. For all I know, that code could already be in the latest firmware I installed in my K-5.

But this, too, is just me typing out loud
02-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #157
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Still would be a problem when you run out of batteries though...

02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickParkhurst Quote
Nothing is idiot proof to a determined idiot!

I am excited about the new lenses and all the other good news of late! The only bad thing is that the doom and gloomers will not be selling their equipment for cheap!
lmao had to steal that for my signature
02-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #159

Photos: Gallery
So here I go trying to be funny

My luggage tag used to say "It's hard to make anything fool proof because fools are so ingenious!"

It was a free give away from an engineering firm my Dad worked with.
02-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
My thoughts exactly. Not a bad thing either as my 50/1.7 is sharper than my 50/1.4. A very nice lens indeed.
You're missing out on a lot of cool photography if you limit your agenda to sharpness. I have both the 50/1.7 and 50/1.4 and they are two different beasts. If I had to give one up I'd give up the 50/1.7
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Volume from K-01, XS lenses and a cheap, fast 50, even if not directly profitable to Pentax, helps B&M retailers "make" the minimum stocking / minimum revenue direct buying targets. Pentax can use that volume as a lever to develop new Dealers, expand shelf in existing Dealers and rebuild a crew of Dealer Reps. This will be necessary in 2013-2014 as we will see.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
so do i but reality is the cheap fast 50 is a big hole in the line that will sell in huge volumes compared to a 1.2 which will be damn expensive Canon and Nikon sell boatloads of the cheap ones so it's a better profit generator than a high price lens since it will turn fast and not tie up inventory dollars
Had to quote these. Sell the cheapo's by volume first, give more newbies out there with Pentax glass to play on-- more stuff to come in the future!
02-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why? Of course, I assumed a firmware upgrade, enforcing MLU with a protruding XS lens.
Coudn't work. Mirror is always down so installing an XS lens would require mirror UP before mounting the XS.
An upgrade could at best prevent taking any picture with an XS lens. Now, we wouldn't like that, would we?
02-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Mirror is always down
Not necessarily after a firmware upgrade. E.g., pressing the RAW button with the lens off could trigger MLU.

And it can't be idiot proof anyway. Because if the lens hits a mirror during putting on the body, it will crash the mirror regardless if it would have taken a photo or not. So, I assume at least initially, the protrusion will be limited to not hit the mirror when down.
02-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #164
Veteran Member

And it can't be idiot proof anyway..
People already break their cameras on a regular basis nothing is idiot proof to a determined idiot
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not necessarily after a firmware upgrade. E.g., pressing the RAW button with the lens off could trigger MLU.

And it can't be idiot proof anyway. Because if the lens hits a mirror during putting on the body, it will crash the mirror regardless if it would have taken a photo or not. So, I assume at least initially, the protrusion will be limited to not hit the mirror when down.
A mechanical solutuion would be necessary, such as a larger ear on one of the XS lens flanges and a modified body mount to match.

In such a mod any K mount lens would still mount to an "XS-permitted" body (K-01) but XS lenses could not be mounted to non-"XS-permitted" bodies.