Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #61
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/174623-new-lenses-anno...ml#post1836672

have a look

02-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Mmh, actually, it doesn't look the same.
Compare the outer diameter of the mount!
It is smaller on the K-01.
I saw that when I posted the comparison. since it did not affect the mounting of a lens I assumed that the K-01 mount was shaved around the outside so that the body could be made smaller. However, to make sure that your scenario would not be feasible I checked the profile of the mount. I found this:

Oh hey, the mount sticks out the front of the camera. Then again, it sticks out the front of my K10 the same way. In addition the new lens does not appear to have a lip of any sort to take advantage of this slightly smaller diameter mount.

It could be, but I don't think that that is the solution that has been implemented with the equipment that has been presented to us.
02-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Good catch.
Compare K-01 mount with e.g.
MZ-5: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/1/19/PENTAX_MZ-5_mount.JPG
*istD: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/Images/mountccd01.jpg
K-r: http://www.melephoto.com/product%20reviews/Kr/images/kr%20labeled%20front.jpg
Myth busted?

QuoteQuote:
[...] the mechanical obstruction is sufficient to keep the lens from touching the mirror [...]
Mounted on a K-5, it seems that the rear is just (not) hitting the mirror. Perspective and scaling are not totally right, but the picture nevertheless can give a first impression:
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Pentax Neuheiten 2012

We also talked about (im)possible MLU in Pentax DSLRs and the corresponding Voigtländer lenses (http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/012/363/19/N000/000/000/12-15sl.jpg) in German dfn. 15/4.5 mounted on a Canon 5D (with several image samples; especially note the "Mounting Details Appendix"): Voigtlander 15mm v Sigma 12-24mm: Intro
02-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #64
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
I saw that when I posted the comparison. since it did not affect the mounting of a lens I assumed that the K-01 mount was shaved around the outside so that the body could be made smaller. However, to make sure that your scenario would not be feasible I checked the profile of the mount. I found this:

02-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #65
Veteran Member

... ¿Are you going to offer any context or just leave those neat pictures there?
02-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #66
ogl
Banned

... ¿Are you going to offer any context or just leave those neat pictures there?
I'd like to say that it's rather old idea which we can find in Canon's lenses for S mount and for FL mount .
02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #67

Photos: Albums
Oh hey, the mount sticks out the front of the camera. Then again, it sticks out the front of my K10 the same way. In addition the new lens does not appear to have a lip of any sort to take advantage of this slightly smaller diameter mount.
RXrenesis8, do we know which lens this is, and where was this posted? Looks like a prime, no zoom ring. Not too fast, I would guess F/2.8 or maybe F/3.5.

02-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'd like to say that it's rather old idea which we can find in Canon's lenses for S mount and for FL mount .
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with canons mounts. Are you saying the new lens will require an adapter for K mount? Because it looks like it has the appropriate flanges and levers already.

QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
RXrenesis8, do we know which lens this is, and where was this posted?
We still don't know what it is, seeing as it has no zoom ring I think it's safe to say that it's a prime. It was posted here.
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with canons mounts. Are you saying the new lens will require an adapter for K mount? Because it looks like it has the appropriate flanges and levers already.

We still don't know what it is, seeing as it has no zoom ring I think it's safe to say that it's a prime. It was posted here.
in the interview Adam posted he does mention the prototype but doesn't detail it at all

If I had to bet it would be a 28 or so for a normal on the K-01 since the 21 already is out there for a moderate wide. could be a UWA (and originally getting compact wa was where this type of design comes from)
the normal FL is what is missing most 21 to 40 is a big jump bracketing a normal length a 28 would be pretty close to perfect
02-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Compare the outer diameter of the mount!
It is smaller on the K-01.
I noticed that long ago. The consumer grade Ks have a bit less metal in their mount (saving cost) than the enthusiast grade ones.

It is not new and has nothing to do with the K-01.
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #71
Inactive Account

i think that having the lenses resess into the mount is the only way that pentax could make the K-01 a viable contender for the nex etc. That way they would end up with a much more ergonomic camera with better IC, but actually a comparable depth to them. if there are not lenses which recess into the body then it is basically a DSLR with live view constantly enabled.
02-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I dunno if Pentax really want to compete with NEX. K-01 is basicaly an 'almost no cost' product (since it really is a DSLR with mirror/prism removed) and gets attention (design and 'wierdness). They really haven't much to lose moneywise. Even if a couple lenses optimized for it. If it really doesn't work, they still can launch another system without losing much money.

This is precautious. Hope it works because otherwise they don't lose money, they lose time.
02-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Don't know if this has been pointed out, but everytime I handed over my DSLR to the "P&S crowd" they tried spontaneously to use the screen to frame, using the viewfinder felt unatural to them (more than not being able to zoom)

I believe the K-01 is targetted to those people, upgrading from a P&S, they wouldn't feel lost, yet, the camera is as big and looks like a DSLR so they get "for their money".

And finally, many opinion makers in the photograohic blogosphere (Krik Turk, LLoyd Chambers) are predicting the end of the optical viewfinder and its replacement by the EVF. I wouldn't be surprised that Pentax is planning an "Enthousiat" model with an EVF and K-mount in 2 generation time (1 generation after the K5 replacement) or in parallel with the K5 replacement.
  • Short registration mount has no advantage for tele objectives,
  • The thickness of the sensor + electronics + screen will get smaller and smaller (think that we will eventually get MX thickness),
  • The distance between the lense and the sensor has to be kept relatively big to avoid issues like excessive vignetting
  • A very short registration distance requires much tighter tolerances on the mount to keep everything aligned.

So all in all, I think Pentax has the good approach, making lenses recessing in the barrel is a good solution for wides, and Pentax still has the Q for those who are crazy about compactness.
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Duh, or I would have linked it. However, it would be odd for them to put out several XS lenses with some of the compatible with mirrors and some of them not. I would expect similarities in the mounts among the XS series. That was the point. The registration distance is the same.

Edit: Why don't you Singapore folk post some test images with 40XS and a dSLR for us backwoods hicks. :Hysterical:
You mean this:
03-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does this look?