Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
I don't like the DA40xs, because 60mm film equivalent isn't an ideal focal length for single fixed focal length lens photography.
Getting pretty tired of this "common knowledge" that 60mm is a useless focal length. I loved using the DA 40 on my K-7 and K-5, and I love using the FA 43 on it now (probably my favorite Limited overall). Tastes differ in focal lengths as in all other things. Every focal length is useful for something.

02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
The distance numbers on the focus ring look exactly like those of the DA 40/2.8. However, the front element looks much larger, like the DA 70 or DA 21. And the rear element is definitely larger that the DA 21's, so my guess is a DA 70 2.4 XS
i'm guessing a 28 so there is a more normal length (a 23 would be cool though like a 35 on ff )
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what is the mystery XS?
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

MAYBE.. the lens is collapsible?

E.g. Sticks inside the body only when "OFF". But i don't see any kind of mechanism (switch, mark on distance scale, etc) to support it...

02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
The 55mm-58mm lenses are more symmetrical simpler Double Gauss designs, then the current more successful asymmetrical Double Gauss 50mm designs. The reason why they switched to the 50mm was that it better matched the focal length that photographers really wanted. Even the 50mm lens is still a little long, which is why the Pentax 43mm F/1.9 was a nice lens for film.
43mm is the diagonal of 24x36, thus the image circle perfectly covers 135 Film.
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
The distance numbers on the focus ring look exactly like those of the DA 40/2.8. However, the front element looks much larger, like the DA 70 or DA 21. And the rear element is definitely larger that the DA 21's, so my guess is a DA 70 2.4 XS
I think this lens is just a concept model that might look very different when finished (if released at all). Distance scale might be re-used from DA40, but can change later. Maybe it's done on purpose for not reveal any details of the lens, or Pentax might not have finalized the specification (focal length and aperture) of the lens yet
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Getting pretty tired of this "common knowledge" that 60mm is a useless focal length. I loved using the DA 40 on my K-7 and K-5, and I love using the FA 43 on it now (probably my favorite Limited overall). Tastes differ in focal lengths as in all other things. Every focal length is useful for something.
Exactly.
Seems odd to always hear the same conventional dogms...

02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Getting pretty tired of this "common knowledge" that 60mm is a useless focal length.
Were/are even some actual 60mm lenses. My Schneider PC Cinelux AV 60/2.8 (shift) isn't typical, but other 60mm camera glass exists. Canon, Nikon and Tamron all have 60mm macro lenses, and Konica had a 60/1.2 Hexanon. And of course there's always the Holga (New Optical Lens!) 60/8, available in popular mounts.
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

As someone on FM pointed out, Pentax and Olympus are just about the only lens-makers who haven't put out a 60mm lens at some point.
02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Really...55-58 mm lenses were standart for FF many years ago. I started to make photos with Zenit E and Helios 44 58/2 lens more than 30 years ago.

Super-Takumar 55 mm f/ 1.8
Mamiya Sekor 55 mm f/ 1.4
Zuiko Auto-S 55 mm f/ 1.2
Carenar 55 mm f/ 1.4
Fujinon 55 mm f/ 1.8
Chinon MC 55 mm f/ 1.7
Porst Color Reflex Auto 55 mm f/ 1.4
Minolta MC Rokkor 58 mm f/ 1.2
Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58 mm f/ 2
Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58 mm f/ 1.4
Voigtlander Nokton 58 mm f/ 1.4 SL II
Auto-Topcor 58 mm f/ 1.4
Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4

it's not full list...
You forgot my Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.2
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I for one love the 40mm length. Great side to side sharpness, and it's easy to stich into a wider image. Also great with a decent amount of cropping.

For me it's a great 20mm-120mm lens. I recognize that others might not want to that much postprocessing, but if I'm carrying a bazillion lenses I'm not enjoying my hike nearly as much.
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think this lens is just a concept model that might look very different when finished (if released at all). Distance scale might be re-used from DA40, but can change later. Maybe it's done on purpose for not reveal any details of the lens, or Pentax might not have finalized the specification (focal length and aperture) of the lens yet
I agree. I actually was wondering if this is a mock up of the DA Limited zoom. Perhaps they have used the barrel of the 40 mm in the prototype. As you note, this is not finalized. The actual lens may be slightly larger with a zoom ring. This way Pentax can show a little without showing it all. They let you know it is the limited by the casing and show off the rear portion of the lens to show off the concept of how they plan on keeping the future lenses smaller. If true, I would guess that the portion extending out back would not be so great. Instead the barrel could be bigger to allow for the zoom ring. Just my dreaming... but if I am right I am calling it first! otherwise forget what I said. My only speculative support is the fact that the lens map shows a da limited zoom but no prime scheduled. Also, others are claiming that from the front element it looks like a wide angle lens. It is an exciting time to be a Pentaxian!
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I agree. I actually was wondering if this is a mock up of the DA Limited zoom. Perhaps they have used the barrel of the 40 mm in the prototype. As you note, this is not finalized. The actual lens may be slightly larger with a zoom ring. This way Pentax can show a little without showing it all. They let you know it is the limited by the casing and show off the rear portion of the lens to show off the concept of how they plan on keeping the future lenses smaller. If true, I would guess that the portion extending out back would not be so great. Instead the barrel could be bigger to allow for the zoom ring. Just my dreaming... but if I am right I am calling it first! otherwise forget what I said. My only speculative support is the fact that the lens map shows a da limited zoom but no prime scheduled. Also, others are claiming that from the front element it looks like a wide angle lens. It is an exciting time to be a Pentaxian!
I agree. It isn't logical that Pentax woulds release a featured, mass-market lens not useable with - in fact dangerous to - other recent (and future) mirrored cameras. The spec sheet states release not decided, not release date not decided, I think..
02-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
You forgot my Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.2
Yes. I missed approx.~ 20-30 lenses with 55-60 mm...
02-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree. It isn't logical that Pentax woulds release a featured, mass-market lens not useable with - in fact dangerous to - other recent (and future) mirrored cameras. The spec sheet states release not decided, not release date not decided, I think..
EF-S lenses can't be mounted on EF-bodies. It's not entirely unpossible to make a lens for the new mirrorless Pentax, that would not mount on any of the previous slr bodies.

I no longer use digital Pentax cameras - I switched to FF in 2009 - but would still like to see Pentax use the full potential of the mirrorless k-mount by making small and fast lenses.