Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

This is a good sign, would LOVE to see more Pentax around. Alot of Pentax's selling points are usability and ergonomics/haptics which can't be communicated in a online environment.

02-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
This is a good sign, would LOVE to see more Pentax around. Alot of Pentax's selling points are usability and ergonomics/haptics which can't be communicated in a online environment.
There ya go, "Just hold a Pentax" I had a similar experience to the OP a few months ago. I was in a local camera store in Cincinnati buying some ink and paper. As I was getting ready to leave, I caught something in the display case out of the corner of my eye. It was the Q, the first time I had seen one in person. I did a double take. I knew it was small, but it's hard to comprehend just how small until you actually see it in person. But what surprised me even more than it's size is the fact that a Pentax was sitting in a brick and mortar store. I didn't buy it, because, well, it's the Q, but I dream of the day when I can "Just hold a Pentax Full Frame DSLR"

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 02-09-2012 at 11:26 AM.
02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Banned

Why would anyone want to buy a camera at a camera store and pay sales tax in most states ? I first purchased the Pentax 6x7 system with ten lenses from 35mm fisheye to 400mm along with the 1 Pentax Digital Spotmeter from a dealer in Hong Kong in 1974 when the exchange rate was 367 yen to 1 USD. I only buy stuff from vendors outside of NJ to avoid paying 7% NJ Sales Tax. It seems like some people don't know what a camera looks like and need to look at it in person.
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Why would anyone want to buy a camera at a camera store and pay sales tax in most states ? I first purchased the Pentax 6x7 system with ten lenses from 35mm fisheye to 400mm along with the 1 Pentax Digital Spotmeter from a dealer in Hong Kong in 1974 when the exchange rate was 367 yen to 1 USD. I only buy stuff from vendors outside of NJ to avoid paying 7% NJ Sales Tax. It seems like some people don't know what a camera looks like and need to look at it in person.
Somehow I think there's more to learn about a body than what it looks like. But if that's your only criterion ......

02-09-2012, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this idiotic tax exemption rule is the reason you have virtually no B&M specialty camera stores to shop at in the US you realise. the rest of the western world has no such exemption AFAIK. If I order from anywhere in Canada I'm charged the local tax rate, if I order from outside Canada the courier or post office collects it on delivery (the post office is the cheapest way since couriers rape you on "brokerage fees"
AFAIK this is true in Europe and England , though i believe Aussies can import a grand no tax
Whenever I hear people moan about local sotores not being there and then see them bu online to avoid taxes it drives me nuts

my $0.02

back to the original discussion

I'm glad to see Pentax US is encouraging development of a local dealer network. I think it has really hurt their US market share having close to zero presence in stores. to bad the gov't rules won't change on taxes because that is the biggest struggle for these stores
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Somehow I think there's more to learn about a body than what it looks like. But if that's your only criterion ......
Humor me, tell me you have no clue about a camera today in 2012 with the myriad of videos, hands on reviews etc on the internet.
02-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Merci

Thanks for this news ... sounds very positive!
02-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Humor me, tell me you have no clue about a camera today in 2012 with the myriad of videos, hands on reviews etc on the internet.
Oh, I have clues. Occasionally conclusions. Probably do entirely too much Internet research.

I was simply replying to the individual who didn't seem to see much value in evaluating the viewfinder, checking on how well the controls fall to hand, feeling the balance and grip, etc. These may be of no importance to a studio shooter whose camera spends its life on a tripod. But these are things that vary from person to person as well as from camera to camera. They're important to me. My preference for a grip is not yours, etc.

I think that makes it clearer, right?

02-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I consider that naive thinking. It's called marketing for one. Take my experience with the "Q". I would have never considered buying one if I hadn't actually seen and held one. Now I think it would be a great little camera when I'm out on the motorcycle all day.

Secondly. I sold off all my Canikon film gear to go digital a few years back. What I looked at and picked up in the "box" stores around here didn't impress me. Of course it was all Canikon. The higher end gear was nice, but a little out of my price range at the time. I took a chance online after weeks of reading and ordered a K10d. I love my K10 and K20.
Not being able to pick up and test out a camera is part of the reason I didn't upgrade to the K-7, or the K-5 yet. I know they are slightly different bodies. Now if Pentax comes out with a K30d I'd order one online because I know exactly what the body "feels" like in my hands.

Not everyone has the same hands or thinking and no "YouTube" video will convince me that a camera will fit me.
02-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam - please pass this on . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you sure? The US marketing VP has an account here

They have been quite reserved in the past, but I think that's about to change...
I hope JCPentax tolerates the initial discomfort his visits may engender. After a time (with leadership from certain members) I'm certain he will be treated as a respected resource, and we as partners.

I think we just want straight answers and to feel that our strange and unnatural breed of loyalty is recognized - nothing special, no favors - just recognition.

And I bet we'd help build the brand, if asked. We are a different breed of cat.

I hope PRI give PentaxUSA and Ned and John a budget and a brief to build a real distribution arm, with real people and real presence. I hope the reorganization adds some needed scale in PUSA (and PCan).

Of course, as you know, I believe we should

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians, Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.