Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More Good News

I live in a Pentax repressed area. The last "new" Pentax I saw on a shelf was a k100d, and this was put there after the K20d came out. I had a some time to burn so I stopped in the local camera shop to thank them for some prints they did for me while I was out of town. Then they knocked me over.

Seems the owner was at the last show (the one we belittled the rep so bad for) and he attended the "Pentax party" afterwards. As tight lipped as they were, this is what I learned. He is trying to put new Pentax cameras on the shelf, and Ricoh / Pentax WANTS him to. It sounds like he'll be carrying Pentax in the next few months!

He also had a "Q" on the shelf that he won at the show. So, now that I got to play with one I want one. It's kind of nice to actually be able to pick up and play with some of this instead of buying "blind" on the internet.

02-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok..where in Florida are you!!!!!!
What Camera store????
I NEED to know!
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good. And I really wanna get my hands on a Q... I adore it, it's too pricey for me, but gosh dangit, it's cute.

And I wonder if anyone else has news of this "after party"....
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Glad they talked it up to him. Too bad their marketing people seem to think of this forum as some sort of place to be avoided and the members here as uninformed.

02-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad they talked it up to him. Too bad their marketing people seem to think of this forum as some sort of place to be avoided and the members here as uninformed.
Have you SEEN the K-01 threads?
02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are you sure? The US marketing VP has an account here

They have been quite reserved in the past, but I think that's about to change...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'll toss this in for good measure. I haven't been shopping online in the Air Force/Army Exchange stores in several years and last time I did for camera gear they were Canikon heavy of course. Went there today and found both black and white versions of the Pentax Q there for $649 tax free (with the normal lens only). Not to bad really for any of you in or ex US military. It think that's a good sign too.

02-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, I'll toss this in for good measure. I haven't been shopping online in the Air Force/Army Exchange stores in several years and last time I did for camera gear they were Canikon heavy of course. Went there today and found both black and white versions of the Pentax Q there for $649 tax free (with the normal lens only). Not to bad really for any of you in or ex US military. It think that's a good sign too.
That's the MSRP, lol. Good to see it on the shelves though!

Pentax Q $100 Instant Rebate - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
That's awesome!!!

Back in the 80's, I bought my ME Winder II from the Naval Exchange catalog!

I was fortunate to get down to Shinjuku (or was it Akihabra?) in 1984 and buy Pentax directly!

02-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ok..where in Florida are you!!!!!!
What Camera store????
I NEED to know!
I'm up in Pensacola, about a 5 hour drive for you...

It's just a little "Mom and Pop" shop, which to me, if they are going to carry Pentax is a great sign.
02-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

They have been quite reserved in the past, but I think that's about to change...
I hope so.

I also hope the membership (not everyone, of course!) can manage to dial back their rage a few notches if/when they do post. JCPentax's previous visits have been met with considerable hostility, and there was an awful lot of abuse dished out in the recent PMA@CES timeframe.

I will note, however, that JCPentax did post recently and it appears to have passed without notice. I decided not to point it out at the time for fear of inciting a riot.
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
That's awesome!!!

Back in the 80's, I bought my ME Winder II from the Naval Exchange catalog!

I was fortunate to get down to Shinjuku (or was it Akihabra?) in 1984 and buy Pentax directly!

I wasn't able to get as good a deal in the Navy Exchange as I was in a corner shop in Yokosuka in 1969. Bought it at the recommendation of two Navy PJs I worked with as a JO2/3 (one shot Nikon, the other Leica - what wonderful SLR vs. RF wars). Still have it, too! (Not the shop, the Asahi Spotmatic + 50mm, 28mm, 135mm).
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

And are likely to remain somewhat uninformed until someone from PRIC stops in to help. I'm looking forward to it.
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Do they have a new Marketing VP already?!? Another example of Ricoh moving fast!
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I hope so.

I also hope the membership (not everyone, of course!) can manage to dial back their rage a few notches if/when they do post. JCPentax's previous visits have been met with considerable hostility, and there was an awful lot of abuse dished out in the recent PMA@CES timeframe.

I will note, however, that JCPentax did post recently and it appears to have passed without notice. I decided not to point it out at the time for fear of inciting a riot.
Not sure many know that JCPentax is an official with Pentax Imaging. Too bad they can't be more forthcoming and take a leaf from the Singapore Pentax reps behavior IMHO.