Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Pentax Takes Over Cameras for Ricoh!

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Ricoh reshuffle sees Pentax take control of cameras: Digital Photography Review

Re-organization of Imaging Systems Business including Digital Camera Business

Tokyo, February 9, 2012 – Ricoh Company, Ltd. (President and CEO: Shiro Kondo, hereinafter Ricoh) announces an organizational change to its imaging system business including security system business and consumer digital camera business.

Since October 1, 2011 when PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY (President and CEO:Zenji Miura, hereinafter PRI) was established, Ricoh managed its global imaging system business under two brands, RICOH and PENTAX. Specifically RICOH brand digital cameras were designed, developed and sold by Personal Multimedia Product Company (hereinafter PMMC), an internal organization of Ricoh, while PENTAX brand digital cameras were designed, developed and sold by PRI.

In an effort to strengthen customer relationships and provide innovative products and services, Ricoh will re-organize its structure.

1.Effective date:
・April 1, 2012(plan)

2.Scope:
・Worldwide

3.New functions of each business unit:
・PRI: Consumer businesses such as digital cameras for B2C market
(This includes Ricoh development resources to improve capabilities and support
Ricoh branded cameras )
・Ricoh PMMC: B2B businesses including security system business, and imaging solutions
business for B2B market

February 9, 2012
Ricoh Company, Ltd.

02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh shi-!!! That sounds pretty damn awesome!
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That should move the market in favour of Pentax branded cameras, lenses and such related photographic gear.
O course, it also mentions that the Ricoh digital cameras ... will we see a "blend" in the not-so-distant future?

I am no guru on the subject but this tells me that we are about to see a wave of Pentax products at different levels of publicity, hence some(?) increase in sales.

Who knows what this will do but it sure looks good to me - and correct me if I am wrong.

JP
02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reads like a good business move...hoping for good things to come!

02-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if there will be any more Ricoh compact cameras, or if they will all be Pentax in the future. I guess it makes sense to consolidate where there are no issues of lens compatibility, but surely they mean to continue the GXR series.
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This really makes sense. If Ricoh didn't do this, one might have competition between smaller cameras and larger cameras, instead of the two groups working together as a team. Also publicity from one camera size, say PS sensor size, helps the marketing of the other camera size, e.g. SLRs.

Also, technology may flow easier inside the corporation, e.g. contrast focusing systems.
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

That Is Huge News !

IMHO what that means is Ricoh is going full bore to push the Pentax brand like it has never been pushed before.

After all the years of being a me too camera line (although being unique and having good built quality) but not having the lenses or accessories that are truly needed for studio or top pro stuff, Ricoh has stepped up.

I think in a very, very short time we will see the big two camera companies take note of Pentax, and I think the public will like what they see.

Good going Ricoh ! ..... Good going Pentax !

wll

02-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is the single biggest piece of news yet signaling that Pentax has Ricoh's FULL backing in the camera business. Wow! This supports what several of us have been saying regarding Ricoh's past approach in taking on the copier market. I'll say it again: Ricoh has the resources, now we have to give them the time.

On another note, the comments at DPReview are just sad. What a display of both arrogance and ignorance simultaneously. Ah, K-5 & K-x anyone?!?

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

I deleted a thread a few minutes ago as I noticed I got it in 4 minutes after this thread.

It's worth saying this has been one heck of a news week for Pentax!
02-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't delete my thread lol...
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
This is the single biggest piece of news yet signaling that Pentax has Ricoh's FULL backing in the camera business. Wow! This supports what several of us have been saying regarding Ricoh's past approach in taking on the copier market. I'll say it again: Ricoh has the resources, now we have to give them the time.

On another note, the comments at DPReview are just sad. What a display of both arrogance and ignorance simultaneously. Ah, K-5 & K-x anyone?!?
As I've been saying, "Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy."

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I deleted a thread a few minutes ago as I noticed I got it in 4 minutes after this thread.

It's worth saying this has been one heck of a news week for Pentax!
We and Canon should become accustomed to a much faster pace of product announcements from Pentax Ricoh Imaging. Things that we've only dreamed about will happen in the next two years. dpreview will regret every PentaxForums member ever banned and every Pentax camera ever unfairly panned.

Break out the popcorn and pull up a seat. Its going to be a ride.

Nikon is a different story altogether.
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

that was fast. XD

QuoteQuote:
3.New functions of each business unit:
・PRI: Consumer businesses such as digital cameras for B2C market
(This includes Ricoh development resources to improve capabilities and support
Ricoh branded cameras )
BOOM!! Can't help feeling positive at this moment.
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As I've been saying, "Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy."
oh and sir, may I put this quote of yours in my sig also?
02-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It doesn't say the Ricoh brand camera is going away. It says that the PRI camera division will manage both brands from a single unit.

I don't think there's enough focus and market space for what Ricoh is doing with the GXR mounter system. It's dead. They are just taking their time doing it. In 36 months....gone.
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It doesn't say the Ricoh brand camera is going away. It says that the PRI camera division will manage both brands from a single unit.

I don't think there's enough focus and market space for what Ricoh is doing with the GXR mounter system. It's dead. They are just taking their time doing it. In 36 months....gone.
No, Ricoh has said a K mount unit is on its way !

wll