Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #1

The optical design of DA 18-250

I just had an interesting conversation of with Fovi, the norwegian importer of Pentax. They claim that the optical design of the DA 18-250 is made by Pentax. The guy I spoke with told me that this is what Pentax told him.

I haven't found any evidense suporting this, but Fovi are usually well informed.

I don't have enough information to make any conclusions, but IMO this strongly suggests that there is a optical differnse between the Tamron and Pentax version of the lens. (A optical differense does not mean that the Pentax is better, just different)

I also asked if the chip in the Pentax version made any differense in MTF program mode. They did not have any information on this topic.

Tim

01-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or, it means that Pentax did the optical design for the Tamron version in the first place.
01-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Or, it means that Pentax did the optical design for the Tamron version in the first place.
Which I doubt very much.
Pentax never designed extreme zoom like these. Even the FA28-200 was a Tamron design why would they suddenly design such a good extreme zoom is beyond me. Not that they can't do it, they probably know much better at other things than lose time doing this.

This is typical marketing BS. At the same time, I do not see them admitting they did not design it
01-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That was my first reaction too. I asked about it. The response on this was vague. He simply implied there where optical differenses.
Between the lines, I read co-development and different tweaking. But thats my conclusion.

Tim

Last edited by Fototim; 01-02-2008 at 08:51 AM.
01-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Which I doubt very much.
Pentax never designed extreme zoom like these. Even the FA28-200 was a Tamron design why would they suddenly design such a good extreme zoom is beyond me. Not that they can't do it, they probably know much better at other things than lose time doing this.

This is typical marketing BS. At the same time, I do not see them admitting they did not design it
I see your points. But there is a first time for everything you know. A few years ago some may have said similar things about Pentax designing an DSRL.

About the BS part. I honestly don't know. The reason I posted it was the way he expressed this. It was more a claim, than vague marketing talk. He also explicidly said it came from the horses mouth. A bit more than usual marketing BS IMO.

Tim

BTW. I just ordered the Pentax version. Got a better price on the Pentax than on the Tamron. It made the price differense insignificant. I celebrated it by ordering a DA* 50-135 to fill up the box :-)
I'm very exited about both.

Last edited by Fototim; 01-02-2008 at 12:20 PM.
01-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I just had an interesting conversation of with Fovi, the norwegian importer of Pentax. They claim that the optical design of the DA 18-250 is made by Pentax. The guy I spoke with told me that this is what Pentax told him.

I haven't found any evidense suporting this, but Fovi are usually well informed.

I don't have enough information to make any conclusions, but IMO this strongly suggests that there is a optical differnse between the Tamron and Pentax version of the lens. (A optical differense does not mean that the Pentax is better, just different)

I also asked if the chip in the Pentax version made any differense in MTF program mode. They did not have any information on this topic.

Tim
Information I have read have indicated that Pentax is co-operating with Tokina and Tamron on lens design. Together they design a lens, then manufacture each themselves.
01-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Information I have read have indicated that Pentax is co-operating with Tokina and Tamron on lens design. Together they design a lens, then manufacture each themselves.
There is no truth to that. There will not be a Tokina version.

In addition, if Pentax were involved at the design stage, the lens would have appeared in the road map long ago. Basically the Pentax 18-250 version appeared out of the blue. And you can see that it is identical to Tamron's design right down to the lens cap. (Compare this with Pentax vs Tokina lens differences for DA* and other lenses) And if you compare the lens reflection, it looks like even the lens coating is from Tamron rather than Pentax SMC despite the name on the lens.

01-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
There is no truth to that. There will not be a Tokina version.
I think his point was to say that Pentax worked with both Tokina and Tamron (which I doubt about the Tamron part). It doesn't mean Tokina and Tamron do talk to each others. Only that Pentax talk to both of'em and rebrand lenses from both manufacturers.

We will see.
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

Tim
It's a Tamron design, an update of their 18-200 design for improved range and optical performance. In fact the Pentax version is actually closer to the Sony version (which shares the faster AF gearing) than the Tamron version. Each version uses coating specific to its brand (Sony uses Minolta's coating tech, Tamron uses Tamron coating, Pentax has SMC coating).
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
It's a Tamron design, an update of their 18-200 design for improved range and optical performance. In fact the Pentax version is actually closer to the Sony version (which shares the faster AF gearing) than the Tamron version. Each version uses coating specific to its brand (Sony uses Minolta's coating tech, Tamron uses Tamron coating, Pentax has SMC coating).
I know this version of the origin of the lens, read it several times at various forums. And it makes sense. The fact that it showed up out of the blue without being introduced at the roadmap, supports this version of the story. But Pentax has new managment now. So they could change their politic regarding preintroductions and hints. There are rumours about a DA* 11-16 now, but nothihing sbout this at the roadmap.

I honestly don't know whatto beleave. I simply reported what a valid source told me. What he was told by some source inside Pentax, could be the sales departement, he wasn't specific. Make your own conclusions.

Tim
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #11

I know this version of the origin of the lens, read it several times at various forums. And it makes sense. The fact that it showed up out of the blue without being introduced at the roadmap, supports this version of the story. But Pentax has new managment now. So they could change their politic regarding preintroductions and hints. There are rumours about a DA* 11-16 now, but nothihing sbout this at the roadmap.
That's funny, had a DA* 10-16mm on my personal Pentax lens roadmap/wishlist. Well would be quite a logical lens to add to their line up I guess.
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I honestly don't know whatto beleave. I simply reported what a valid source told me. What he was told by some source inside Pentax, could be the sales departement, he wasn't specific.
If it comes from sales department, it has no value at all IMO. Salesman (from big corps) dunno what they sell. That's not their job. They have their reasons for you to beleive that story.

We than you for that information nonetheless, being true or not, it is interesting anyway.
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've seen lots of posts on several forums on this topic & honestly believe that the Pentax 18-250 is the Tamron rebadged. It appeared as "from nowhere" - no advanced publicity - I'm certain if Pentax had been developing such a lens they would have made more noise.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who makes it - the 18-250 (tamron or Pentax) looks a very impressive lens consider its focal range. I'll certainly be buying one, probably the Tamron as its noticeably cheaper than the pentax in the UK

simon
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
That's funny, had a DA* 10-16mm on my personal Pentax lens roadmap/wishlist. Well would be quite a logical lens to add to their line up I guess.
It's nearly a given. Tokina has one, Pentax needs a f2.8 ultra-wide zoom. And Tokina owes Pentax some designs (Pentax got the 12-24, Tokina got the 10-17, 16-50, 50-135 and the 35 macro so far). I suspect Pentax didn't have it on the roadmap because Tokina didn't know when the optical design would be ready, and Pentax still needs to design a barrel and focusing system for their version. I'm expecting it to get announced on the 24th but not be seen in stores until late summer or early fall. Pentax has too many other lenses already announced that it needs to deliver first.
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Tokina has one, Pentax needs a f2.8 ultra-wide zoom. .
You think it will be f2.8? At 11-16mm that would be quite extreme wouldn't it, I mean are there other brands with a lens like that?