Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nothing exciting.....

A road map with no FA lenses. No fast primes. No plans to fill the gap from 77mm to 200mm.
A 1.4x TC that has been under development for 5 years and is still not ready, but they will try to get one out in the next 2 years.... maybe..... If you are lucky....

I think they had a map at the Pentax booth showing people how to find the Sigma booth if they had any lens questions.
I get that you don't think the K-01 is a good move but if you dislike Pentax so much why don't you just go get a Canon. You're getting boring.

02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Look at the bright side of it: We can continue to speculate about cool features in new DSLR bodies possibly being released soon (there was some talk about K-r replacement in spring, right? Just a couple of months away...) instead of having angst-ridden threads about possible manufacturing faults in the new bodies
Yes, let the mental masturbation informed speculation continue apace. What else have we to do? This beats having to go out and photograph something, eh?
02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nothing exciting.....

A road map with no FA lenses. No fast primes. No plans to fill the gap from 77mm to 200mm.
A 1.4x TC that has been under development for 5 years and is still not ready, but they will try to get one out in the next 2 years.... maybe..... If you are lucky....

I think they had a map at the Pentax booth showing people how to find the Sigma booth if they had any lens questions.
An f1.8 isn't a fast prime? Wow, what do you want an f0.95?
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Waiting ...

Yes I was hoping for a K-5 replacement too. I still got the K10D and well I thing itīs time for a change... If there will be a replacement for the Kr we can be shure, it canīt be better than the K-5. The K-5 will be in the shops for at least a few more months. So if the new Kr would be better than the K-5there would be no use of buying a K-5. They say the K-01 has the same cmos like the K-5 but the quality is better.... I want a DSLR! nothing else! With a OVF!

02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by recando Quote
Yes I was hoping for a K-5 replacement too. I still got the K10D and well I thing itīs time for a change... If there will be a replacement for the Kr we can be shure, it canīt be better than the K-5. The K-5 will be in the shops for at least a few more months. So if the new Kr would be better than the K-5there would be no use of buying a K-5. They say the K-01 has the same cmos like the K-5 but the quality is better.... I want a DSLR! nothing else! With a OVF!
Pentax currently makes a great upgrade for you - the K-5. Buy it!
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #21

Nothing exciting for me.....
^ fixed.
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
An f1.8 isn't a fast prime? Wow, what do you want an f0.95?
For a 50mm.... F/1.8 is actually not fast. F/1.8 is the slow cheap lens for 50mm. That is the purpose of the lens.... slower and cheaper for people who like the Canon and Nikon 50mm F/1.8 budget lenses. If this were a 135mm at F/1.8 then yes, that is fast. Nothing wrong with it and even if it was F/2 that would be fine, but it is not a fast lens for a 50mm. F/1.4 is pretty much the standard for non-macro 50mm lenses.

I am hoping that Pentax brings the A 50mm f/1.2 back as a DFA* 50mm f/1.2, but that is probably just a dream. I almost bought a used on not long ago. They are very hard to find in the states, but I believe they are still available new in Japan. If I buy the Fuji XP1 I will try to find either the Olympus 50mm f/1.2 or the Pentax 50mm f/1.2. Both are excellent lenses and both are hard to find now the M4/3 has taken off.

02-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It would have been a bit silly for PRI to release a K5 replacement on top of the K-01 and steal it's thunder.
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
It would have been a bit silly for PRI to release a K5 replacement on top of the K-01 and steal it's thunder.
Photokina or before.
02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

For a 50mm.... F/1.8 is actually not fast. F/1.8 is the slow cheap lens for 50mm. That is the purpose of the lens.... slower and cheaper for people who like the Canon and Nikon 50mm F/1.8 budget lenses. If this were a 135mm at F/1.8 then yes, that is fast. Nothing wrong with it and even if it was F/2 that would be fine, but it is not a fast lens for a 50mm. F/1.4 is pretty much the standard for non-macro 50mm lenses.

I am hoping that Pentax brings the A 50mm f/1.2 back as a DFA* 50mm f/1.2, but that is probably just a dream. I almost bought a used on not long ago. They are very hard to find in the states, but I believe they are still available new in Japan. If I buy the Fuji XP1 I will try to find either the Olympus 50mm f/1.2 or the Pentax 50mm f/1.2. Both are excellent lenses and both are hard to find now the M4/3 has taken off.
ROFLMAO - 1.8 isn't fast. 1.4 is NOT the standard - never was, never will be. 1.7's are often praised here as better lenses (debatable but not here ok) and they're fast. 55/1.8's were considered fast in film days. You can't make it any other way as its <2.0 and even for 50s anything <f2 has always been considered a Fast-Fifty. As for it being cheap - YEAH! The 35/2.4 gets panned by snobs but is an excellent little lens that takes terrific photos and it's CHEAP.
02-09-2012, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Pentax is only giving me new lenses and new corporate overlords that are clearly committed to the k-mount. I want a pony!

I am very happy with Pentax' announcements even though I am anxious to hear about the K-5 replacement. Do it correctly instead of rushing it.
02-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm personally very excited. I know there were none of the announcements I was hoping for... but it shows that the company is moving forward and there are a few options for my LBA.

The DA 50mm is interesting... but I think I'll save up and get the DA* SDM 55mm instead. (faster, sharper, better, in my budget)
The 560mm is very very interesting, alas I think I will never be able to afford it and will settle with getting a x2.0 adapter for my Sigma. (I rarely need anything longer than 300 anyways)

The one thing we all wanted was the FF, but we all knew the answer before the show....

Personally, whenever a company is slated to announce a camera, I'm always looking at Canon/Nikon/Pentax to announce my dream camera... hopefully Pentax of course...specs would be something like this:
FF sensor (one from the D800 would do nicely)
Spot metering
Spot Auto Focus
switch for AF on/off
dials for Aperture, Shutter, ISO sensitivity (each on a dedicated dial)
standard menu system for WB/shutter modes/bracket modes/jpg/raw...etc
Shake reduction in cam
Video mode
100% OVF
Tilting screen with live-view on a OLED screen with a high resolution

What it wouldn't have?
Matrix modes for AF/Metering
Anti-Aliasing
Wifi/Bluetooth
huge price tag ($1500 CAD?)
touch screen
any auto modes to speak of (including priority modes)

ALL MANUAL BABY! Stripped down to the essentials.

I bet you they would sell 500 units globally

Last edited by Wired; 02-10-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
+1 Far better to keep the pot stirred by announcing or leaking things over time rather than one big splash. Marketing is all about 'impressions' which is how many times the word 'Pentax' gets bounced off of a consumers brain. We know Pentax has great cameras, what they have not had for a long time was a marketing department (or budget) that could make any headway against the marketing giants.

I for one would be delighted to see a new rumor or announcement every month all year long. Anything to get the trade and consumer press to publish the 'P' word.
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The market need for anything faster than f/1.4 is almost non-existent, especially when one considers the price. The Canon versions is $1,400 and weighs a ton.

High ISO has obviated the need for glass so fast it makes AF work slower and produces little to no discernible DOF effect over 1.4, much of which is achieved now with PS in any case, for those that can afford a $1,400 lens!

In the good old days f/2 lenses were the norm (just look at RF lenses now in the "normal range"), with 1.7-8 being a step up. 1.4 was considerably more expensive and 1.2 was truly exotic, and really priced for pros. A 1.8 50mm is pretty much the best value for the vast majority of users.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 02-09-2012 at 08:56 PM.
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The market need for anything after than f/1.4 is almost non-existent, especially when one considers the price. The Canon versions is $1,400 and weighs a ton.

High ISO has obviated the need for glass so fast it makes AF work slower and produces little to no discernible DOF effect over 1.4, much of which is achieved now with PS in any case, for those that can afford a $1,400 lens!

In the good old days f/2 lenses were the norm (just look at RF lenses now in the "normal range"), with 1.7-8 being a step up. 1.4 was considerably more expensive and 1.2 was truly exotic, and really priced for pros. A 1.8 50mm is pretty much the best value for the vast majority of users.
Thank you. You said it better than I did. The 50 Prime is the starter lens among Primes for most new to dSLRs. My sister's first prime was a 50 just last month. Her reasoning, its been the most common prime for ages so it must be the most useful. I got her a Nikon 50/1.8 and she's been very happy shooting away with it learning about DoF and other aspects of walking the lens instead of turning the dial When folks look at lens selections a modern 50 is a "must have" IMHO. All the comments on the FA50 I read around used terms like "dated" or "still competitive" thereby indicating its not modern and intimating not as good as the Nikon and Canon 50/1.8s. Nonetheless, a "new" Fast-Fifty for Pentax is a huge plus IMHO.