Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Overall, I am pretty pleased. It just looks to me like ricoh has allowed pentax to go forward with many of the projects that hoya was holding back on. Hard to say how much the earthquake in Japan and floods in Thailand have slowed development of new cameras as well.

As to the question of what is a fast lens, a wider aperture than f2 is considered by most to be a "fast lens." If Pentax uses the F 50 f1.7 lens as the base, it will be sharper wide open than the FA 50 f1.4 at the same aperture (although with harsher out of focus areas). I consider the FA limiteds to be fast lenses too, even though none of them has an aperture as wide as f1.4. But why quibble about half a stop? It is better to have an f1.8 lens that is usable at f1.8 than to have an f1.4 lens that you have to stop down to f2.8 to get enough sharpness to use it.

02-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What you call 'plastic' is polycarbonate (PC) aka Lexan, VERY tough and resilient. I paid much money (more than for any lens!) for Lexan windscreens for my recumbent bicycles, and worth every penny -- no scratches or bends or breakage. Metal dents. Glass breaks. Polycarbonate bounces. Some of the internal elements in many many lenses now are polycarbonate, because PC can be cast in ways that glass can't. Polycarbonate isn't used just to meet price points, but because it's a superior material for many applications. The PC mount on my ZX-M shows less wear than the metal mount on my MV-1.
I sold Lexan for many year. Internal element are not Lexan , it's acrylic they use because is highly clear material that yellow very little over time
02-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
What is Prime lens, I do not think a plastic constructions like the new 50mm f1,8 or the 35mm f2,4 are primes, they are fixed focal lenses, but not primes - in my opinnion.
A prime should be with metal bajonet and probably with metal body too besides a good optical construction.
To each their own. The optics of the 35/2.4 are excellent. I'm sure there were people who said - Aluminum?!?! For an AIRPLANE!?! Are you Daft!!! Too.
02-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #49

Original Poster
My already departed father made dentures of acryllic, and believe me, dentures will be treated quite tough in mouth

02-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
To each their own. The optics of the 35/2.4 are excellent. I'm sure there were people who said - Aluminum?!?! For an AIRPLANE!?! Are you Daft!!! Too.
I have not said that the 35mm f2,4 is not optically good, I fully agree your opinnion about that.
About aluminium in airplanes, hmmmm... may be they should be made of plastic
02-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think it's probably not ready yet but they have said it's in the plans at one point.
People say that the GXR K-mount module is going ahead, but I don't believe there's been any such announcement. Only that a K-mount module is "under discussion":

Ricoh mulls K-mount GXR unit

Ricoh may launch a Pentax K-mount version of its GXR system, as well as a variable-angle LCD monitor. Ricoh's Digital Camera business development manager Keisuke 'Keith' Minagoshi told AP that a K-mount module or adapter was 'still under discussion'.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/...day_updates_saturday_news_311097.html
02-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm personally very excited. I know there were none of the announcements I was hoping for... but it shows that the company is moving forward and there are a few options for my LBA.

The DA 50mm is interesting... but I think I'll save up and get the DA* SDM 55mm instead. (faster, sharper, better, in my budget)
The 560mm is very very interesting, alas I think I will never be able to afford it and will settle with getting a x2.0 adapter for my Sigma. (I rarely need anything longer than 300 anyways)

The one thing we all wanted was the FF, but we all knew the answer before the show....

Personally, whenever a company is slated to announce a camera, I'm always looking at Canon/Nikon/Pentax to announce my dream camera... hopefully Pentax of course...specs would be something like this:
FF sensor (one from the D800 would do nicely)
Spot metering
Sport Auto Focus
switch for AF on/off
dials for Aperture, Shutter, ISO sensitivity (each on a dedicated dial)
standard menu system for WB/shutter modes/bracket modes/jpg/raw...etc
Shake reduction in cam
Video mode
100% OVF
Tilting screen with live-view on a OLED screen with a high resolution

What it wouldn't have?
Matrix modes for AF/Metering
Anti-Aliasing
Wifi/Bluetooth
huge price tag ($1500 CAD?)
touch screen
any auto modes to speak of (including priority modes)

ALL MANUAL BABY! Stripped down to the essentials.

I bet you they would sell 500 units globally
The Sport mode and the 36mp sensor would require one heel of a new prime engine (the D800 uses 3 chips and is not a sports machine) All the pro level sport cams are lower MP (and $6000 )
Dedicated dials won't happen it will be 2 wheels like we have now (which is fine with me as long as the buttons are placed right. i can control everything right now without moving my eyes from the VF
Not a chance matrix metering will be dropped
only way it will be touch screen is possibly if its a MILC (and i think FF MILC is a high probability myself. it will make them distinct from the otthers and allow the smallest FF with full lens compatability (provided there is an apsc mask )
If it's Milc the tilting OLED screen is a distinct possibility (easier to keep size down with OLED - first Sony prototype tvs i saw 10 + years ago they were talking about being able to roll them up )

02-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The Sport mode and the 36mp sensor would require one heel of a new prime engine (the D800 uses 3 chips and is not a sports machine) All the pro level sport cams are lower MP (and $6000 )
Dedicated dials won't happen it will be 2 wheels like we have now (which is fine with me as long as the buttons are placed right. i can control everything right now without moving my eyes from the VF
Not a chance matrix metering will be dropped
only way it will be touch screen is possibly if its a MILC (and i think FF MILC is a high probability myself. it will make them distinct from the otthers and allow the smallest FF with full lens compatability (provided there is an apsc mask )
If it's Milc the tilting OLED screen is a distinct possibility (easier to keep size down with OLED - first Sony prototype tvs i saw 10 + years ago they were talking about being able to roll them up )
Sorry, meant Spot A/F not Sport.

Its my dreaming up specs at work camera and I never use Matrix modes, don't really understand them if I can highlight my target. Every photo has at least one main subject, something that you want to highlight, thats what I meter.

MILC is not what I would personally want, unless the EVF was pretty awesome. I personally don't like touch screen. Turned it off on my NEX5N pretty quick. But it would keep size down.

I personally would take 3 wheels, ISO, and then the two dials. Replace the mode dial with an ISO dial Then all manual.

Leave the green button on there.

Man, if it was slower @ work this week I would just sketch it out. Not that it would serve any purpose.
02-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I told that it was only my personal opinnion
I have only one lens with plastic mount, and I'm sure the mount will not last for ever like all my other mounts.
In my opinnion you save money in wrong place if you make the mount of what ever plastic.
Plastic actually has higher environmental tolerances than metals, has lower friction, less heat/cold expandibility, and an be merged with dissimilar materials with less volatility in the adhesives. It's also lighter and can be more self-lubricating.

Plastic is also more likely to retain its shape after a trauma. It has elasticity and memory which metal does not.

Plastic is also much easier to weather seal.
02-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Plastic actually has higher environmental tolerances than metals, has lower friction, less heat/cold expandibility, and an be merged with dissimilar materials with less volatility in the adhesives. It's also lighter and can be more self-lubricating.

Plastic is also more likely to retain its shape after a trauma. It has elasticity and memory which metal does not.

Too bad they cut you out of The Graduate during Final Edit.
02-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

Plastics expand more with changing temperatures, not less. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about 'environmental tolerances'? That it won't corrode if you drop it in salt water or something?
02-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About aluminium in airplanes, hmmmm... may be they should be made of plastic
You mean they're not?

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Plastics expand more with changing temperatures, not less. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about 'environmental tolerances'? That it won't corrode if you drop it in salt water or something?
Correct. Plastics have a higher coefficient of thermal expansion and will expand (or contract) more with a given temperature change than steels and aluminums.

Last edited by dgaies; 02-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
02-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The lens could be fetish or could be tool.
This just may be the best thing I've ever read on a photo forum.
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The lens could be fetish or could be tool.
No, I have some Zuni fetishes. They don't look like lenses at all.