Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, I have some Zuni fetishes. They don't look like lenses at all.
But they do kind of look like the K-01. Especially the Yellow one.

02-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Carbon fiber is not plastic at all, only the bond material is plastic, sorry, but this is not relevant in this matter.
02-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Irrigation? Medicine? and the wine?
Public order? fresh water system? health?

Other than that, what did the Romans Pentax, ever done for us??
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #64

02-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #65
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Originally posted by ElJamoquio Quote Irrigation? Medicine? and the wine?
Actually the Romans invented none of these things but they used a lot of them. Many of these things were developed independently by diff civs at diff times but generally:

(Medicine (western) ->Greeks, Irrigation -> Persians/Indus Valley Civ, Wine -> Georgians)

/as you were

Last edited by Deimos; 02-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
02-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
You are probably correct and the rest of us are confused.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In film and photography, a prime lens is either a photographic lens whose focal length is fixed, as opposed to a zoom lens...
QuoteQuote:
or it is the primary lens in a combination lens system.

Confusion can sometimes result due to the two meanings of the term if the context does not make the interpretation clear. Alternative terms primary focal length, fixed focal length, and FFL are sometimes used to avoid ambiguity.
[source: Prime lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

Did you drop the rest of the text on purpose (and suppressed a link to the source)? The full text says rather the opposite of your snippet ...
02-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #67

Original Poster
For me it was only a short time ago a surprise to know that prime do not mean in this case a top quality but a lens with fixed folcal length. Stupid me

02-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Did you drop the rest of the text on purpose (and suppressed a link to the source)? The full text says rather the opposite of your snippet ...

The other definition of 'prime' lens doesn't mean 'good', it means the 'regular' lens when you're using lenses with teleconverters and macro lenses, etc.

I've never heard that definition of prime actually being used, for what my experience is worth (not much).
02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

No I didn't "drop the rest of the text on purpose (and suppressed a link to the source)". Below is the full text of the message I responded to. Are you saying you agree with markku55's post? I didn't see anything on wikipedia to suggest primness was about construction materials. As I read it a prime lens and a fixed focal length lens are exactly the same thing in the context of markku55's post . If I am wrong, I'd consider it a kind act if you'd educated me. I mean that sincerely.

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
What is Prime lens, I do not think a plastic constructions like the new 50mm f1,8 or the 35mm f2,4 are primes, they are fixed focal lenses, but not primes - in my opinnion.
A prime should be with metal bajonet and probably with metal body too besides a good optical construction.
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
No I didn't "drop the rest of the text on purpose"
Ok, fine.
I don't participate in your discussion about the word "prime". I just noticed that you truncated one of two meanings in a source.
02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Plastic actually has higher environmental tolerances than metals, has lower friction, less heat/cold expandibility, and an be merged with dissimilar materials with less volatility in the adhesives. It's also lighter and can be more self-lubricating.

Plastic is also more likely to retain its shape after a trauma. It has elasticity and memory which metal does not.

Plastic is also much easier to weather seal.
In the last 4-5 years repairing cameras and lenses, I've seen around 8-10 Nikon 18-55mm lenses snapped off at the plastric bayonet mount flanges, and around 4-5 Canon ones.

Last edited by dnas; 02-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.
02-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #72

Original Poster
From a free of charge web dictionary the translation of prime gives me similar answers as in English:
being at one's best, conspicuous, first, heyday, peak, prime, prime number, principle, summit, the extreme, the most, To apply a coat of primer paint to., To prepare a mechanism for its main work.

In Finland we understand prime as a best or very good quality, but I give up, in the discussion of lenses it seems to mean ONLY fixed focal lens, don't "fight" because of my opinnion
02-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #73
Veteran Member

In Finland we understand prime as a best or very good quality, but I give up, in the discussion of lenses it seems to mean ONLY fixed focal lens, don't "fight" because of my opinnion
Words have different meanings in different contexts and jargons. A good example is 'proof', which is quite different in logic, law, printing, distilling, sealing, etc. 'Prime' also has different meanings in photography, butchery, math, genealogy, etc. We make one word serve many purposes. Welcome to the funhouse!
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #74

Original Poster
Ok, I try to understand, but if you call some camera as a prime camera, do you mean it is with fixed focal length lens or is it a camera with better quality than an average quality cameras?
I'm sorry, I only try to explane how difficul it is to understand English some times, in Finland everything means what you say or write, and thats why we have a lot of different words for same thing not to understand wrong what you mean.
02-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, I try to understand, but if you call some camera as a prime camera, do you mean it is with fixed focal length lens or is it a camera with better quality than an average quality cameras?
Here is the thing, I've never heard anyone call a camera a prime camera. It's correct english but not in common usage and it's precise meaning (prime) is vague (context dependent). Personally I'd never use prime to describe a camera with better quality than an average quality. Hope this makes sense.