Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #241

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
RE: Translation of unique, my view is that Pentax strives to exploit the market by being different in some way from the standard players, and doing that at an attractive price point. Some desireable features may be victims of the price-point decision; others may be victims of a culture that eschews followeing the traditional path.

Pentax will always be different. The question is whether we want to be different.
Considering desirable features, does not a full frame format one of the victims of the price point that turn away many would-be adopters? Meh, just my thought, not going to rally for a full frame crusade or something.

I always appreciate Pentax as a brand that strives for making differences, and a lot of time I do not mind that differences no matter how many people decide to go against.

02-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think the Nikonians with the D7000 might disagree.

Again, same as above.

So why should Pentax artificially limit itself to unique-ness? Does everything about Pentax have to be unique to Pentax? I love the limited lenses (which in a way ARE unique to Pentax), and I also have a FA 50 f/1.4, which is decidedly NOT unique to Pentax. Does that mean it shouldn't be sold?
Pentax seems to have done it slightly better, at least enough for "bragging rights" fwiw. Supposedly the K-5's weather sealing is better than the D7000's. The K-5 is also a little smaller. And, of course, all lenses used on the Pentax can benefit from image stabilization.

Features, lenses etc. don't have to be "either - or". "Unique" doesn't have to be "either - or". Why do people so often argue in extremes?
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
I do not think I can comment on that. Japanese is something I consider alien to me even if their kanjis are the same characters in Chinese language.
Not quite sure what "utterly ambiguous language" mean. I think that in any languages, spoken and used by a person with a great command and intellect, one can be as ambiguous as one wants to be. Translation of Japanese is fairly straight forward. The topic is such that I don't think anybody from Pentax wanting to be straight forward. Why would they want to spill the beans, to purposely send goofy signals to other manufacturers? If anything I hear more interesting things about Pentax from my cousin who works for Canon. . . .
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #244
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Another update, and probably the last one before we start publishing the interview:

Half of the transcript has been translated, and we aim to have the other half ready within a few hours, meaning that tomorrow has become feasible for publication of the text, with the video to follow Thursday.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Another update, and probably the last one before we start publishing the interview:

Half of the transcript has been translated, and we aim to have the other half ready within a few hours, meaning that tomorrow has become feasible for publication of the text, with the video to follow Thursday.
Thanks for the update.
02-13-2012, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax will always be different. The question is whether we want to be different. But . . . .
But does different mean having an inferior flash system, no tethering, and substandard video compared to the competition?

In an APS-C world, if FF is not coming in the foreseeable future, then NOT having these makes Pentax look laggard.
02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #247

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But does different mean having an inferior flash system, no tethering, and substandard video compared to the competition?
I don't think Pentax means that every product they make has to be different. By definition, if you want to sell cameras, you need an ecosystem of lenses, flashes and accessories. Some of those are unique (FA limiteds,) some are substandard.

I do think most Pentax DSLRs were somewhat unique in that they offered features that were either not available at all or not available at that price point, and not just clones of low to mid-level Canikon DSLRs.

I guess Pentax feels that they don't have anything unique to offer in full frame (as an aside, can you do in-body SR in a full frame camera?) Being that full frame is such a small percentage of the market, and Pentax has such a small percentage of that, I think its a reasonable position to take. They cannot compete by offering the exact same camera, so why waste the resources developing it?

On another note, all this talk about full frame mirrorless has me very confused. Isn't one of the main reasons for going full frame the improved optical viewfinder?
02-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #248

QuoteQuote:
as an aside, can you do in-body SR in a full frame camera?
Certainly -- Sony's A900 has in-body stabilization.

02-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by p. rex Quote
Certainly -- Sony's A900 has in-body stabilization.
Interesting. Wouldn't the sensor move out of the image circle?
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #250

I'm not sure. I think the lens casts a larger image circle than is technically necessary to cover a 35mm frame -- if it didn't, there'd be issues with vignetting. I mean, shake reduction works on crop-sensor cameras with crop-sensor lenses.
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #251
Veteran Member

In an APS-C world, if FF is not coming in the foreseeable future, then NOT having these makes Pentax look laggard.
I imagine the K-5 successor would include tethering and improved video controls.

I'd like Pentax to make the *best* APS-C camera money can buy - especially if FF is off the table.
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #252

I agree if no FF then push the limit of Aps-c atleast.
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Interesting. Wouldn't the sensor move out of the image circle?
It does not. My A900 can go as slow as 1/4s on 16mm with a good result.
02-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #254
Pentaxian

They already are different, they don't have a FF. Goal achieved.
02-14-2012, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
They already are different, they don't have a FF. Goal achieved.
But so are Olympus, Nikon, Canon and Sony, which don't have a medium format camera. Diversity is in the eye of the beholder.
Closed Thread