Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Come on, Sony alrady tried to make a full frame DSLR for a minority and they failed badly
Didn't they just announce their commitment to full frame and plans to release a brand new full frame camera?

02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #107
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Didn't they just announce their commitment to full frame and plans to release a brand new full frame camera?
Sony full-frame camera coming, 500mm F4 lens finally announced
02-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam, chapeau for doing the interview and awaiting the full text now.
Thanks!
02-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How is the K-5 'unique'?

Is the K-5 a failure?
Best-performing APS-C sensor at the time of introduction.

Weather sealing at the price point.

No, but then nobody said anything about failing.

02-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Adam
Any word on an update to the flash?
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Best-performing APS-C sensor at the time of introduction.
I think the Nikonians with the D7000 might disagree.

Weather sealing at the price point.
Again, same as above.

No, but then nobody said anything about failing.
So why should Pentax artificially limit itself to unique-ness? Does everything about Pentax have to be unique to Pentax? I love the limited lenses (which in a way ARE unique to Pentax), and I also have a FA 50 f/1.4, which is decidedly NOT unique to Pentax. Does that mean it shouldn't be sold?
02-11-2012, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #112
Inactive Account

Fair enough..... if there's no FF DSLR in the next six months (and it doesn't sound like it) I'm jumping ship..... Nikon here I come. Now then, any nice Nikon owners getting a D800 and want to sell their D700 cheap? (There again, how much is a used 645D? And if it's 'used' - what has the owner upgraded to?)

02-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #113
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffWessex Quote
Fair enough..... if there's no FF DSLR in the next six months (and it doesn't sound like it) I'm jumping ship..... Nikon here I come. Now then, any nice Nikon owners getting a D800 and want to sell their D700 cheap? (There again, how much is a used 645D? And if it's 'used' - what has the owner upgraded to?)
You should post in the wanted section, or look on our other site:
Camera & Photography Forum - Camera-Enthusiast.com

I wouldn't hope for a Pentax full frame until next year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2012, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think the Nikonians with the D7000 might disagree.
They might, but then they'd be wrong wouldn't they.

02-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They might, but then they'd be wrong wouldn't they.
I love the k-5. I think it has the best APS-C sensor, in the best-sized body, with the best implementation on the market. It does not address a 'market that is unique' by any definition. There are dozens of smallish DSLR's. The k-5 was the second or third camera with that sensor, so that sensor alone doesn't make it unique; and the Nikon 7000 was definitely a lower-priced WR body at introduction, too, so WR at the k-5's price point doesn't make it unique, either.

The k-5 was a fantastic success. It's an awesome camera. It doesn't 'address a unique market'. All good designs are either very new or very common.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 02-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
02-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #116

Thanks for the interview, Adam. I do appreciate your effort.

No EVF for K-01, and no full frame DSLR in the coming future? Well....it is back to Fuji and Sony for me, then.
02-11-2012, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #117

I don't know what disappoints me more, no FF in the foreseeable future or the reason there won't be. I could understand if it would be a burden on their allocated resources or wasn't financially viable at this time. But ignoring the requests from this many of your customers because you won't be filling a unique niche of some sort, is offensive. Reminds me of when I was younger, guys going and buying idiotic impractical and junk cars (or anything for that matter), for the simple reason of being percieved as unique or cool.

Guess what Pentax. The k-r and k-5 are in no way unique, yet make up what % of your sales in comparison to your all so important 'niche' products?
02-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #118
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Thanks for the interview, Adam. I do appreciate your effort.

No EVF for K-01, and no full frame DSLR in the coming future? Well....it is back to Fuji and Sony for me, then.
Good luck. Bye-bye!
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #119
ogl
Banned

Yes...For USD 17 000.
02-11-2012, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #120
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I like to see that the PRI remains realistic about the market.
And it is sad to see so many people here wanting something commercially not viable.

Come on, Sony alrady tried to make a full frame DSLR for a minority and they failed badly. And the succeeded with, surprisingly EVIL camera without EVF. Is that so difficult to see?
It is difficult when you are looking through tiny dark crop sensor VF's! Ba dum bump...dish... I 'll be here all week..

Seriously, I agree with you and have said the same. FF in the past for Pentax would be a death sentence. Now I don't know. They may with Ricoh's financial backing make it work. I don't think that is where they see the money. Selling smaller sensor cameras and mirrorless with lenses is the way to go I suspect.
Closed Thread