Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
people are buying used 5D's and D700's like crazy.
That is still 1.8% of the used dslrs that people are buying like crazy. 1.8% is a very rough number, so lets for argument sake increase that number by 500%......it's still just 9%. You just happen to be paying attention to the FF models because that is your interest.

02-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Anyone reading these three posts should have all questions about Pentax plans answered.
That would be my expectation too....mirrorless FF. It covers the "unique" statement made by Pentax reps
02-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Unique doesn't means "we actually don't want to sell any of them, so let's make them mirrorless. Viewfinderless, that would be even better!".
Unique should be read as in: making it attractive, offering something the competition doesn't; and not cutting a very important component - the viewfinder (or crippling by replacing it with an EVF). It could be even something as simple as a small, rugged DSLR for an affordable (but not cheap, let's be realistic) price.
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Not judging you, obviously you should use the best camera for your needs. But I honestly would like to know.

You say that you plan to switch because there is no EVF for the K-01, and no full frame. 2 questions come to mind:
  1. If an EVF would suffice, why wouldn't the K-5 fill the same need for you? <<< Already have one.
  2. Why is full frame so important? I'm a bit clueless here about this. What advantage does full frame offer you? <<< Have lots of legacy lenses. But sometimes wide is not wide enough.

Please dont take this the wrong way. I just want to understand these issues better.
As I mentioned earlier. I already own 7 brands of cameras, mirrorless and DSLRs. So "switch" means practically nothing to me (I switch cameras every day, depending on circumstances). It is just my tendency to hoard stuffs. And...well, if Pentax releases FF, I am more than willing to buy from the brand that I like.

02-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #155

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
As I mentioned earlier. I already own 7 brands of cameras, mirrorless and DSLRs. So "switch" means practically nothing to me (I switch cameras every day, depending on circumstances). It is just my tendency to hoard stuffs. And...well, if Pentax releases FF, I am more than willing to buy from the brand that I like.
Sounds reasonable enough. I'm glad I only hoard Pentax stuff, I couldn't afford canikon (especially that 200mm f2)

What does full frame add for you? If we take away all the other features, which can be included in an APS-C camera, what is it specifically about full frame that you need?

I never wanted a full frame DSLR (and i still dont) but I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left out here, as everyone else seems to want one.
02-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #156

Sounds reasonable enough. I'm glad I only hoard Pentax stuff, I couldn't afford canikon (especially that 200mm f2)

What does full frame add for you? If we take away all the other features, which can be included in an APS-C camera, what is it specifically about full frame that you need?

I never wanted a full frame DSLR (and i still dont) but I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one left out here, as everyone else seems to want one.
Naw, I just like taking landscape photos with wide angle lens, and Distagon 21mm on APS-C can be quite limiting. Also, if Pentax releases a full frame, I am certain they will make it weather-sealed, which I believe it will be on the same quality as earlier weatherproofing dslrs they made or even better. I will be the one in line if that happens. (The only things I will touch from those big two would be lenses mounted on something like Kodak DCS Pro series)

But in essence, it is not a priority. I can always wait, provided that the end of the Mayan long count does not mean the end of human civilisation.

Last edited by K1D27H; 02-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are not the only one. The FF crowd is just a very vocal one. I know I don't want one, at least not at the price tag it will surely carry.

02-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #158
Veteran Member

This has grown to 11 pages so perhaps I missed it, but does anyone know when they think they might have finished translating the interview?
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #159
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
That is still 1.8% of the used dslrs that people are buying like crazy. 1.8% is a very rough number, so lets for argument sake increase that number by 500%......it's still just 9%. You just happen to be paying attention to the FF models because that is your interest.
Yes, but no.

Most of the used bodys and lenses were not sold last week of last year, or the year before that.

And, no, not my interest to buy a FF from Canikon. Might be interested in the future to buy FF, not now though. But i want to see FF happen for those who want it
02-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I see it everywhere... people are buying used 5D's and D700's like crazy.
What are the people who are selling these cameras buying? If they are buying replacement FFs, it should show up in the official stats. Since it doesn't show up in the official stats, it suggests that many people who have owned FF want out and are moving either back to APS-C DSLRs or mirrorless. What do these people know that the rest of us don't?
02-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
You are not the only one. The FF crowd is just a very vocal one. I know I don't want one, at least not at the price tag it will surely carry.
So it seems. I feel like i should want full frame.
02-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #162

If no FF for over a year, how about a 645D price reduction to the D800 price? Now that's a gap in the market. Do what Sigma did when they lowered their SD1 price by such a margin, to keep the early adopters happy.
02-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
This has grown to 11 pages so perhaps I missed it, but does anyone know when they think they might have finished translating the interview?
I believe Adam said Monday or Tuesday for the text, and Wednesday or Thursday for the video.
02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Naw, I just like taking landscape photos with wide angle lens, and Distagon 21mm on APS-C can be quite limiting. Also, if Pentax releases a full frame, I am certain they will make it weather-sealed, which I believe it will be on the same quality as earlier weatherproofing dslrs they made or even better. I will be the one in line if that happens. (The only things I will touch from those big two would be lenses mounted on something like Kodak DCS Pro series)

But in essence, it is not a priority. I can always wait, provided that the end of the Mayan long count does not mean the end of human civilisation.
I hear that. It would be nice to have lenses be what they actually claim to be with no crop factor. But at this point, I'm so used to APS-C, I wouldn't know what to do with my lenses on a full frame.
02-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
What are the people who are selling these cameras buying? If they are buying replacement FFs, it should show up in the official stats. Since it doesn't show up in the official stats, it suggests that many people who have owned FF want out and are moving either back to APS-C DSLRs or mirrorless. What do these people know that the rest of us don't?
That's an interesting take - majority of folks selling their D700 are doing it to move back to aps-c?

I think people who are selling want to get the best price possible, so they're doing it early while putting in a pre-order for the D800 (or D4.) Same thing will be happening on the Canon side.

It may be very hard to take delivery of a D800 in the first three months, maybe longer.

I'm sure there are some folks selling the D700 if they think it's more camera than they need, or because of financial reasons, but the majority of sellers are pre-ordering or planning to. (& I think mirrorless is serving as a 'second camera' for most of these folks, not a FF DSLR replacement.)
Closed Thread