Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Sensor supply a this level is NOT about just sourcing the produce from a variety of third parties. Way more complicated than that, I'm afraid.
At last. I spent half the afternoon researching that.

02-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would be happy with APSC that had a FF viewfinder. How hard would that be?.
am I wrong to think it's not possible?
02-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Welp, that's it, I'm tired of waiting for Pentax to put out a FF DSLR, I'm jumping ship to a different kind of camera...

02-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
APS-H is only dead because of poor marketing. Cost to IQ wise it's probably the best option available.. isn't a "unique" market something Pentax is looking for anyways? I think a good weather sealed mirrorless APS-H with a good EVF would do just fine... Regardless, Pentax continuing to not provide a FF solution when most of their PK mount glass is FF is annoying.. commit one way or the other already!

02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Sensor supply a this level is NOT about just sourcing the produce from a variety of third parties. Way more complicated than that, I'm afraid.
Of course it's more complicated.. but it doesn't mean it cannot be done. Surely whoever Kodak's sensor making department to has the means etc.. I wouldn't expect them to be able to use the exact same sensor as Nikon and then undercut them on the market, the D800 has a 36MP sensor, I do believe Sony also has a 24MP FF sensor available if I'm not mistaken.. regardless.. with little to no effort put forth by Pentax on it, we will never have a solution.
02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Sort of, You can get one of these O-ME53, or any other viewfinder loupe but the viewfinder will be darker.
02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Welp, that's it, I'm tired of waiting for Pentax to put out a FF DSLR, I'm jumping ship to a different kind of camera...
Looks very much like my FF solution for Pentax right now as well..

02-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #203

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Because they need to sell hundreds of thousands of cameras. Not just thousands.
Untrue, if the sales stats reported elsewhere here are to be believed. I was surprised as many that it only took 000's of units to rank. Ten thousand would put them on the top of the heap.

King of the hill

A #1

(sorry, going to Vegas this week...)
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's mainly "My thingy is bigger than your thingy".
That, and the viewfinder can be twice as big, and the noise half as much, and the DOF 1.5x smaller, and the stop faster wide-angle lenses.
02-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
It's possible, but it would be less than half as 'illuminated' as a viewfinder you're currently used to.
02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would be happy with APSC that had a FF viewfinder. How hard would that be?.
It's easy, but you probably wouldn't. What you want is an APS-C camera with a viewfinder that's as good as on FF, without showing more than will be in the photo. That's hard. Or strictly speaking, impossible. (Since whatever you do could also be done on an FF finder.)

Since I know no one ever understands what I say even when I'm clear, I should probably explain what I just said. You can make a camera with an FF view finder, showing what would have been recorded by an FF sensor, and put an APS-C sensor in it. This is easy, and useless, because you just see extra stuff not in the recorded picture. (Well, not completely useless, but it doesn't provide most of the benefit.)

But certainly, the only reason I want FF is for a better finder. (Really, I want more than FF, but I'm willing to compromise so my lenses can still be used.)
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Since I know no one ever understands what I say even when I'm clear, I should probably explain what I just said. You can make a camera with an FF view finder, showing what would have been recorded by an FF sensor, and put an APS-C sensor in it. This is easy, and useless, because you just see extra stuff not in the recorded picture. (Well, not completely useless, but it doesn't provide most of the benefit.)
I was assuming that he meant putting a FF size view finder, with 100% coverage rather than 225% coverage. Still possible optically but not without dimming the image.
02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #208

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
the viewfinder can be twice as big
that is a feature i would pay for.

the noise half as much
Is the noise really that much better than the K-5? I dont have a K-5, so I dont know how noisy it is, but my understanding is that it does a really good job at minimizing noise. I would pay for significant noise reduction, but I dont care for 30 megapixels. I'd rather a 16 or 18 megapixel camera with really low noise levels than a 30 megapixel camera with some noise.

the DOF 1.5x smaller
I guess in some cases that a good thing, and in some its a bad thing.
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #209

And Kodak sold the unit to an industrial venture equity company.
Is it not the Truesense Imaging (then Kodak Sensor Division) still supplies their sensors to all their clients such as Leica (M9, S2) and Pentax (645D)?

And who supplies the FF sensor?

Sony?

The same company whose customer Nikon buys 100% of their FF sensors now, and has a hand in designing them?

You think Sony will let Pentax drop the high margins on the FF camera market to make Sony's best customer angry?

Not going to happen.

Got a spare $100 million for the fab and the patents?
Teledyne Dalsa just offer a new 24mp sensor for full frame format. Still a CCD, however.

http://www.teledynedalsa.com/sensors/products/sensordetails.aspx?partNumber=FTF6040C

Last edited by K1D27H; 02-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
Is the noise really that much better than the K-5? I dont have a K-5, so I dont know how noisy it is, but my understanding is that it does a really good job at minimizing noise.
I have one (two if you count Mrs. ElJamoquio's camera). It DOES do a really good job at minimizing noise. It's the best noise/(sensor area) sensor that I'm aware of in a DSLR. I love it.

But a sensor that had 2.25-2.5x the area of the k-5 would trounce the k-5. That's why the 5d mark ii has less noise at iso 800 and above, even though that camera was the lowest priced full frame camera when introduced AND is going to turn four years old this year.

My point is, if the equivalent k-5 sensor material/design was used as a full-frame sensor, the signal to the sensor would be over twice as high for a given field of view.

I would pay for significant noise reduction, but I dont care for 30 megapixels. I'd rather a 16 or 18 megapixel camera with really low noise levels than a 30 megapixel camera with some noise.
I'd recommend buying a 30 MP camera and downsampling when you wanted less noise; and cropping when you wanted a 'longer equivalent focal length'...

I guess in some cases that a good thing, and in some its a bad thing.
...or larger DOF.
Closed Thread