Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #211
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
APS-H is a dead horse. Doesn't ride.

Kodak sold its sensor manufacturing unit to a venture capital firm who are breaking it up.
Truesense Imaging, Inc. (Kodak sensor manufacturer) is sold to Platinum Equity

And producing sensor is not stopped at all...

As an independent company, Truesense Imaging will continue to provide a broad range of image sensor devices that combine high resolution, ultra-fast frame speeds, and unmatched image quality – features relied on by camera manufacturers around the world for use in their most demanding commercial, industrial, and professional imaging applications.

DALSA produces FF sensors too. Just make new 24 MP CCD sensor FTF6040C 24 MP Color CCD - Product Detail - Teledyne DALSA

Maybe, for Leica M10.

Last edited by ogl; 02-13-2012 at 06:12 AM.
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
that is a feature i would pay for.

Is the noise really that much better than the K-5? I dont have a K-5, so I dont know how noisy it is, but my understanding is that it does a really good job at minimizing noise. I would pay for significant noise reduction, but I dont care for 30 megapixels. I'd rather a 16 or 18 megapixel camera with really low noise levels than a 30 megapixel camera with some noise.

I guess in some cases that a good thing, and in some its a bad thing.
The K-5 does a great job, but it also suffers from a strong AA filter that the IQ would benefit greatly by having a few more MP of size to be able to crop or reduce size. If they had the K-5 sensor material in a 24+ MP size it would do very well!

shallower DoF would be great.. how can it be a BAD thing if it's fully controllable on the other end.. you don't want shallow shoot @ f8-f22 etc..
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Is it not the Truesense Imaging (then Kodak Sensor Division) still supplies their sensors to all their clients such as Leica (M9, S2) and Pentax (645D)?

Teledyne Dalsa just offer a new 24mp sensor for full frame format. Still a CCD, however.

FTF6040C 24 MP Color CCD - Product Detail - Teledyne DALSA
Ha! I've been using one of their cameras (and Nikon lenses) to photograph 'combustion' in a test engine for the past six months. I never knew they sold chips.
02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #214

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Ha! I've been using one of their cameras (and Nikon lenses) to photograph 'combustion' in a test engine for the past six months. I never knew they sold chips.
Dalsa's one? How did it perfrom, by the way?

Last I checked, all newer models of Phase One and Leaf digital backs use Dalsa sensors. I believe it was recently they decided to step into full frame format. Perhaps they want to offer this solution for something like Leica M10,R10, or Digital Zeiss Ikon.

Last edited by K1D27H; 02-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Teledyne Dalsa just offer a new 24mp sensor for full frame format. Still a CCD, however.

http://www.teledynedalsa.com/sensors...umber=FTF6040C
Wow they seem pretty friendly too... I wonder how much the evaluation kit costs...
02-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #216
Veteran Member

Dalsa's one? How did it perfrom, by the way?
No complaints; but to be honest it's the only camera I've ever used in this manner so it's not like my opinion is all that valid. The camera doesn't really have a lot of similarity to cameras you and I would use; it's a pretty industrial form factor and has 1 Megapixel downsampled to about 0.25 Megapixel. The chip is chilled to about negative 80 C or so to keep noise down as we're taking pictures at ISO 5 gazillion (we're actually taking pictures of fuel spray formation illuminated by a laser sheet, rather than actual 'combustion').
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Wow they seem pretty friendly too... I wonder how much the evaluation kit costs...
Have no idea for that one, to be honest. I do not think it will come cheap, for sure.

No complaints; but to be honest it's the only camera I've ever used in this manner so it's not like my opinion is all that valid. The camera doesn't really have a lot of similarity to cameras you and I would use; it's a pretty industrial form factor and has 1 Megapixel downsampled to about 0.25 Megapixel. The chip is chilled to about negative 80 C or so to keep noise down as we're taking pictures at ISO 5 gazillion (we're actually taking pictures of fuel spray formation illuminated by a laser sheet, rather than actual 'combustion').
Wow. It needs that kind of cooling? I think I had better stick with my cameras....

02-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Wow. It needs that kind of cooling? I think I had better stick with my cameras....
Our shutter speeds are high (taking pictures of things moving at roughly the speed of sound, travelling the full width of the picture in about 1/1000 s or so). Our illumination is quite low. Most of the time the Aperture is 1.2 but even still we need a great deal of ISO equivalent.

(Although I don't think you did), please don't take that to mean you'd need -80 for any consumer implementation.
02-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #219

Our shutter speeds are high (taking pictures of things moving at roughly the speed of sound, travelling the full width of the picture in about 1/1000 s or so). Our illumination is quite low. Most of the time the Aperture is 1.2 but even still we need a great deal of ISO equivalent.

(Although I don't think you did), please don't take that to mean you'd need -80 for any consumer implementation.
Ummm, no. Judging from the description you gave, I do not see the need for having such equipment, especially the price and everything that comes with it.
02-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Probably the first time in years Pentax have such a large booth in photo show. If my memories serve me correctly...
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #221
Veteran Member

So, Adam: If Pentax is mainly concerned with the Japanese market; what's your plan to convince the Japanese Pentax forums that they should be clamoring for FF?

Last edited by RXrenesis8; 02-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.
02-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
... That makes more sense than making a FF mirror-less because the other guys will probably soon have FF mirror-less themselves.
i don't think Canon or Nikon will have any FF mirrorless anytime soon. Hasn't anyone else noticed that Canon and Nikon have not rushed to the APS mirrorless table, i.e. neither of the Canikon mirrorless offerings have an aps size sensor. I don't think this is a coincidence. It seems that the two largest SLR makers aren't in any hurry to upset their carefully constructed lucrative lineup of conventional SLR cameras. And will be very content to let the smaller volume SLR makers, Sony, Fuji, Pentax, take the risks in innovating various mirrorless solutions.

At some point in time, Pentax will jump on the FF mirrorless train, probably after they issue an advanced mirrorless APS model (but with a viewfinder :-)) IMHO.
02-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #223

I think i'd appreciate a mirrorless FF as much as one with a mirror, however the caveat being it looks, smells and interfaces like a regular DSLR. The K-01 sure looks like a nice camera but for my uses is pointless, need a decent sized weighty body with VF... My concern if Pentax do go mirrorless FF in 2013ish, will they take the 'unique' approach to far and produce something in a package more like a K-01 than a K-5? That would send me running to Canikon...but would they really go that 'unique'?
02-13-2012, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #224
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All this unique talk is giving me piles!

Who cares about unique but the special people... Give the rest of us a friggin FF with OVF, make two models, one for sports and the other for the fashion/other photogs...

Pentax, your stated aim is to compete, so start competing... Produce models that compete not models that no one else produces.

A long distance athlete does not take part in the sprint because that is a different race....
02-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #225
Veteran Member

When, many years ago, I wanted to use large format cameras, I didn't start campaign for Pentax to make view cameras and LF lenses. I did buy a supergraphic, a Nikon 90mm and a Fujinon 210, all used and relatively affordable. It's really so easy.
Closed Thread