Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #91
Pentaxian

I guess one problem with making such a large lens telescoping (and WR) is all that air that must be pumped in and out. Somewhere there has to be a rather large hole.

02-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I guess one problem with making such a large lens telescoping (and WR) is all that air that must be pumped in and out. Somewhere there has to be a rather large hole.
There is a rather large hole at the back end of the lens. Haven't you heard of the new inflatable camera they are releasing?
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #93

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I very much like the concept of sliding hoods. I am aware of few people that like the screw on hood of the FA*3002.8 better than the sliding hood of the A* 300/2.8. The usefulness of these contrast greatly
to those often not well liked telescoping hoods on smaller lenses in the Pentax A family that seems to sort of flop around at will because they didn't have locking screws.
Agree totaly on the superiority of sliding hoods v/s screw-on. The sliding hood is always there, and not left at home because it's so bulky.

I have all three varietys of Pentax sliding hoods. The telescoping A*200mm that slides forth and back as it wishes, the screw fixing the hood of the A* 600mm with the drawbacks ryannatta mentions and finally the best one, used on the F* 300mm (and F*250-600/F* 600mm?). It is loosened from retracted position by screwing the very hood, slided forwards and screwed to fixed position like a screw-on hood but "from behind", so to speak.

The only question I have about the DA 560mm is how much of a dummy the displayed pre-production sample is. I don't think there's much meaning in speculating around details at this stage.

Kjell