Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
From what I heard, this lens doesn't telescope at a, it's just big.
What's the thumbscrew nearest the front element do?

02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ohgodiwantone.

I'd definitely bring this on a safari or something. Time to go work out!
02-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I marked the 2 spots that caused speculation about it being collapsible. The circled knob could theoretically be loosened to allow the front of the body to slide back. When in the collapsed position, the knob would be retightened. The circled smudge on the body *might* be a mark from the knob (or it could just be rough handling shipping to the show, or a flawed paint job on an early prototype).

It's an interesting concept but difficult to manufacture with tight tolerances needed in order to maintain optical alignment.
Attached Images

02-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #34

Now to find a job as a reporter that will pay me enough for me to afford a beast like this. And then insures it for me. Instead of making me shoot with a P&S.

02-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could use a focal reducer and flatner

Being of astronomical design maybe it has an 8.4 fl objective, a focusing lens group near the camera end, and a 2/3 focal reducer combined with a field flattener lens set before the camera mount. The field flattener will match the objective to the sensor and with the focal reducer you will have a faster 5.6 fl setup. This focal reducer flatener combination is used in astro scopes to get shorter length scopes and a flat field to the edge. Of course no auto-focusing lens groups are used in astro scopes, instead a quality focusers are used before the eyepiece.
Hank
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I marked the 2 spots that caused speculation about it being collapsible. The circled knob could theoretically be loosened to allow the front of the body to slide back. When in the collapsed position, the knob would be retightened. The circled smudge on the body *might* be a mark from the knob (or it could just be rough handling shipping to the show, or a flawed paint job on an early prototype).

It's an interesting concept but difficult to manufacture with tight tolerances needed in order to maintain optical alignment.
It wouldn't need any tighter tolerances than the actual mount of the lens to the camera. Since the diameter is at least twice as much, you could probably get away with a much looser fit.
02-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be really cool if it was a dual fl lens, 560-5.6 and 400-4.0.

02-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I think that's the hood. If you look at the above pic you can see the front ring (around the front element). If you look in line with the reflections on the left of the lens there is a white dot (3rd from the left). That dot is on the filter ring. The distance from the opening to that dot seems similar to that between the circled items.

Last edited by Giklab; 02-11-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #39
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Why the 2nd?
Limiter

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #40

Photos: Albums
Like Mistral75 suggests, it is really looking like this is a long focus design, not a telephoto. I guess that makes sense if it is based on a telescope. While that means it is physically long it might mean fewer elements and perhaps a lower weight and especially cost than if it was a telephoto design.
02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long focus design = minimal aberrations without having to spend a boat load of money.
02-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Long focus design = minimal aberrations without having to spend a boat load of money.
I estimate the length around 45 cm (assuming that the front element is 100 mm). This is consistent with the design of a A*600, the lens seems longer because of the smaller front element. Anyway the use of ED glass for the front element will maintain the price point rather high
02-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 900mm f 7.5 telescope (120mm objective) with FPL-53 glass is a "long" design and fairly cheap, coming in at sub $2k. So there is hope for this Pentax to be somewhat affordable.
02-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #44

DA 560 seems to telescope

If the pictures in the lens database (SMC Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) are not a mockup I think it's safe to say that the DA 560 will be able to telescope.

In the first picture we see the DA 560 with retracted lens hood and extended front section. In the second picture we see it with retracted lens hood and collapsed front section. In both pictures the lens hood is never extended unlike in the pictures posted before in this thread. You can clearly see that the second picture shows a more compacted DA 560 compared to those where just the lens hood is retracted. Also it's easy to spot that the thumb screw which secures the front section is pulled back to the lens colar.
02-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Please be advised that those are photoshopped photos; made by one of our fellow members on this forum. IMHO, the final word is not out yet wrt it to be retractable/telescoping (although it does seem like that way).