Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #46
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aguest Quote
If the pictures in the lens database (SMC Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) are not a mockup I think it's safe to say that the DA 560 will be able to telescope.
It's not telescope lens.

02-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

It is tempting to think it could be telescoping. On the other hand not.

To get the outer sleeve to move longitudinal in a straight fashion you would have to have some sort of rail system otherwise the outer tube would spin around aimlessly. There is no evidence of this rail since it would have to be on the outside of the tube over which it slides. In the absence of this rail system the arresting grub screw (the one with the knob) would hit a different spot at the end of the tube it moves over all the time. I don't think it would just simply be tightened over the tube without providing some sort of strike plate. In the picture of this mockup however it may have just simply been left off to confuse people. I don't know what to make of it.

Greetings
02-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #48
Veteran Member

There are thumb screws for lens hoods on a lot of lenses that don't have any 'strike plate', FYI.

It is disturbing that this lens, probably not that old (but probably has seen plenty of use), already has a marred surface, though.
02-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aguest Quote
If the pictures in the lens database (SMC Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) are not a mockup I think it's safe to say that the DA 560 will be able to telescope.

In the first picture we see the DA 560 with retracted lens hood and extended front section. In the second picture we see it with retracted lens hood and collapsed front section. In both pictures the lens hood is never extended unlike in the pictures posted before in this thread. You can clearly see that the second picture shows a more compacted DA 560 compared to those where just the lens hood is retracted. Also it's easy to spot that the thumb screw which secures the front section is pulled back to the lens colar.
Nice catch!

02-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Please be advised that those are photoshopped photos; made by one of our fellow members on this forum. IMHO, the final word is not out yet wrt it to be retractable/telescoping (although it does seem like that way).
The lens database and PF home page article have a set of 3 images showing the range of the DA 560's length. The shortest of the 3 has both the hood and part of the optics retracted. Are you sure that's a fake image?

If yes, Adam, please delete those photos because they are very misleading.
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The lens database and PF home page article have a set of 3 images showing the range of the DA 560's length. The shortest of the 3 has both the hood and part of the optics retracted. Are you sure that's a fake image?

If yes, Adam, please delete those photos because they are very misleading.
Didn't the text with those pictures say it was a photoshop job?
02-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Didn't the text with those pictures say it was a photoshop job?
They look photoshoped but the photo here says it can be done so even if they are photoshoped they do demonstrate the function quite well.

02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #53
Pentaxian

SMC Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The lower-right photo depicts the hood and front portion of the optics both in a retracted position. No disclaimers about the photo being imaginary.
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The lower-right photo depicts the hood and front portion of the optics both in a retracted position. No disclaimers about the photo being imaginary.
Well, I made the following image in photoshop so... Here's your disclaimer!

02-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam: did you guys ask Pentax if the new AF system in the K-next will have any f/8 AF points? Nikon/Canon seem to have added them in their latest bodies so I was wondering if Pentax did for the K-01 or K-next as well? If this lens can't focus when you put a TC on it...
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #56
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you look at the back of the lens, you can see the red lining around the lens cap- that's what WR lenses have! Note the same on the 90mm, which we already know will be weather sealed.
In the photo of the back end of the 560mm, almost looks like two or three sets of the typical K-mount electronic contacts, just inside the red seal. What's with that? Does that make the lens compatible with the DSLR series plus the new K-01? Is there a basic concept I'm missing here?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/117503d132...k-imgp0447.jpg
02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by infosyn Quote
In the photo of the back end of the 560mm, almost looks like two or three sets of the typical K-mount electronic contacts, just inside the red seal
I thought that at first also, but they are just reflections from the rear cap flange. We cannot see the contacts, they are hidden under the cap.
02-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I thought that at first also, but they are just reflections from the rear cap flange. We cannot see the contacts, they are hidden under the cap.
Me thinks folks are looking at the pictures way too hard. I'm just hoping that the business about "optimized for longdistance quality" isn't literally
true. that would imply that IQ was best when focused at or near infinity as that is likely a long ways off.----somewhere beyond 50 meters on my 600mm. well beyond bird range.
02-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If this lens can't focus when you put a TC on it...
The K-5 can auto focus a manual Sigma 500/4.5 with the 1.7AF TC. So, it should be able to do the same with a 560/5.6 + 1.4x TC combo.
02-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The circled smudge on the body *might* be a mark from the knob.

It's an interesting concept but difficult to manufacture with tight tolerances needed in order to maintain optical alignment.
Thinking about this, it would seem unlikely to me that the smudge would be a mark from the knob. As you say, the lens would need to be solid enough to maintain alignment. That kind of contradicts the idea of using a knob with a contact surface of a few square millimeters to tighten it, doesn't it?