Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 560mm F5.6 to be WR - CP+ Photos of front and back

If you look at the back of the lens, you can see the red lining around the lens cap- that's what WR lenses have! Note the same on the 90mm, which we already know will be weather sealed.

Photo credits go to one of our members who was at CP+ today.

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great! Many thanks for this.

Now a picture of front of the lens to finally settle the score on the length of the lens, i.e. hood shown extended or not.

Wim
02-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Ask and you shall receive
Attached Images

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Banned

How can that beast only be 560mm I still wonder.

02-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You've got a point, considering this lens is just as fast, longer, and a zoom:

Adam

02-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks again Adam! The 560 will be huge then... Good sign from a IQ point-of-view no doubt, not so good for travel (for me at least)...

Looking forward to the interview...

Wim
02-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Thanks again Adam! The 560 will be huge then... Good sign from a IQ point-of-view no doubt, not so good for travel (for me at least)...

Looking forward to the interview...

Wim
Hence it telescopes, the knob nearest the objective clearly having nothing to do with the hood from these images (I'd wondered if it was going to be a Nikon Hood type attachment) Surely it can only be to permit the lens being collapsed for transport. Mind you transport would also be easier if the lens had strap lugs.

02-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Wow...

i sure looks collapsible... smart design... Maybe thats why its large yet f/5,6

Is there any optical disadvantages with that design?
02-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

The funny thing is that it makes me kind of sad because small chance of it been in my price range (2000$ and lower) decreases with every bit of good news about its capabilities.
02-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fstdslrkx Quote
The funny thing is that it makes me kind of sad because small chance of it been in my price range (2000$ and lower) decreases with every bit of good news about its capabilities.
Ah, but is amazing how much money you have to spend if you've put £500 aside every year, for one, when there wasn't a long lens available. The obvious optical issue is accuracy of alignment & registration. More complicated to seal.
02-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

WR and colapsible? Interesting at least...
02-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

But being as long as it is, doesn't that mean that it is a "simple" design with less complicated lenses? And thus it might not be THAT expensive?

Last edited by Gimbal; 02-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.
02-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax makes for example this telescope, which is said to be optimized for photography. I wonder if the lens could be developed from it?

Pentax Eyepieces and Telescopes

02-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Or Pentax Eyepieces and Telescopes

02-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But being as long as it is, doesn't that mean that it is "simple" design with less complicated lenses? And thus it might not be THAT expensive?
If I remember correctly, Pentax made the reference to "optics used in astronomical telescope" which can mean simple optics. However, simple optics doesn't imply low quality at all.. Some birders use the Orion/Skywatcher 80ED (which can be bought at ~320 €) which has an outstanding quality. I can provide a link to a comparison with a Canon 100/400mm IS L (don't know if I'm allowed to post link though) and the Orion is near to the Canon. In fact the Orion uses a APO doublet, FPL-53 glass I think..

Maybe Pentax has used that kind of glass and conception and added a focusing system to it..