Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
with the Sony NEX full frame around the corner I would rather Pentax to hurry up (but of course lots of us FF fanatics would and have been doing for years). Although I cannot imagine a FF announcement by PRI I really really hope because I'd love to keep my equipment but decided to go FF next year. Keeping 2 systems where other manufacturers provide me with FF and APS-C is no option.
Heck the D800 really eliminates the need for a 2 body apsc/ff system from one brand. cropped it's as good as shooting a D7000

02-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #137

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Heck the D800 really eliminates the need for a 2 body apsc/ff system from one brand. cropped it's as good as shooting a D7000
ahm, yes, true. I will probably go with a Nikon, but the idea of keeping my 31mm for the (additional) FF NEX sounds sweet
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #138

Here is a rumor... I will be buying a FF camera in January of 2013. If Pentax has a good one, I will buy Pentax. If not, I'm leaning toward the D800. Not an ultimatum, but I cannot wait much longer for Pentax to offer what I need.
02-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tomsparks Quote
Here is a rumor... I will be buying a FF camera in January of 2013. If Pentax has a good one, I will buy Pentax. If not, I'm leaning toward the D800. Not an ultimatum, but I cannot wait much longer for Pentax to offer what I need.
I'm with you 100% on this one. With the D800 and the 5D3 coming out soon, I'm afraid there are a lot of Pentaxians in the same boat, and even more who might consider getting a D700 or a 5D2 as folks from the other brands upgrade and used gear starts inundating the market. Come on, Pentax, if you're waiting for the perfect time, it was yesterday!

02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #140
Lens Buying Addict

Even I might do that since I probably will need to sell all my MF and film gear due to vision issues.
02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomsparks Quote
Same plan, whoever the manufacturer.... doesn't matter to me any more, to me it's FF or nothing. I would love for it to be Pentax but can't wait much longer.

The annoying thing would be if I sell my Pentax gear in anticipation of the move then 1 week later Pentax surprise announces a FF camera.
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
The annoying thing would be if I sell my Pentax gear in anticipation of the move then 1 week later Pentax surprise announces a FF camera.
The problem with pentax is: you never know.... you can keep your precious set of FF lenses worth couple of thousand for years and suddenly pentax can vanish, k-mount disappears from the market leving you with bunch of not so precious gear that you will sell for a value of scrap weight.... so one way or another you are uncertain....
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Same plan, whoever the manufacturer.... doesn't matter to me any more, to me it's FF or nothing. I would love for it to be Pentax but can't wait much longer.

My thoughts as well, but what I might do is just sell off my APS-C gear, and keep the full frame stuff so I can at least use it for film. If Pentax then comes out with a mind-blowing full frame, I imagine that it won't be too hard to sell a slightly used D800. Or I might just stick with Nikon.

But what still gets me is that we should not even be having this conversation. Pentax should have done this 8 years ago, failing that they should have done it four years ago when the D700 and the 5D2 came out. If they miss the boat this time, I don't think there will be another. It's much easier to retain users than it is to win them back, or convert new users.

02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
...Certainly the idea af an LXD that focuses on high quality Still imaging and ignores the video side isn't a bad idea at all.
Yep! I'm on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And D800 also just does 4 fps so with 3.6 fps it isn't to bad (not what I was hoping). As long as it can perform up to iso 3200 and be good at it.
Mhm...

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
The problem with pentax is: you never know.... you can keep your precious set of FF lenses worth couple of thousand for years and suddenly pentax can vanish, k-mount disappears from the market leving you with bunch of not so precious gear that you will sell for a value of scrap weight.... so one way or another you are uncertain....
I don't think so. Ricoh has stated that the K-mount is an important thing to keep going (think K-01). Furthermore, the K-mount has been around a long time, I don't see it just disappearing.

Long live the K-mount! ...only bring us back the k-mount goodness in FF!!!
02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
It happened to Konica-Minolta before they got bought by Sony. So yeah, everything is uncertain, just as Canon and Nikon sitting on top of the market share is.
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #146
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

High Tech Campus 27
5656 AE Eindhoven
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 40 2599009
Fax: +31 40 2599015

I live about 13 km from this side.
Never knew it before...Funny.
02-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To a certain extent if Pentax is going to announce FF at Photokina I wonder whether it's worth them pre-announcing now.

The K-5 is at such a low price that I can't think there are many people who are actively considering buying it now who would also be actively considering a >1500 FF camera in 7 months time. And with the 5D III coming soon it would at least send a message that Pentax is moving forward.

My other reason is that I am getting sick of FF discussion when the situation basically hasn't changed since Pentax aborted the launch of the MZ-D.
02-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
To a certain extent if Pentax is going to announce FF at Photokina I wonder whether it's worth them pre-announcing now.
If they're going to announce it in September, then it would be smart of them to deliberately leak some solid rumors now. It would keep the people who desperately need FF soon with Pentax for a little longer.
02-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #149
Veteran Member

People that are really looking to switch for (and have money for) a D800 or (still to be presented) Eos5DM3 will find the (illusory) Pentax FF too low specced for their taste.
People that are dreaming of switching to (but have not money for) a D800 or (still to be presented) Eos5DM3 will find the (illusory) Pentax FF too much expensive for their taste.
02-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
People that are really looking to switch for (and have money for) a D800 or (still to be presented) Eos5DM3 will find the (illusory) Pentax FF too low specced for their taste.
People that are dreaming of switching to (but have not money for) a D800 or (still to be presented) Eos5DM3 will find the (illusory) Pentax FF too much expensive for their taste.
Which only leaves the people who aren't looking to switch to the D800 or the forthcoming Canon equivalent, but who have the money, and those who aren't but haven't. Perhaps there's another group who will buy the Nikon and/or Canon and a sub-group who will also buy a future Pentax of similar ilk, but they've probably already bought an M9 and/or a 645D (which, if I remember correctly, went through an illusory stage for some time).

Anyway, I suspect the sufficiently-affluent non-switching group is bigger than the others, so I'm left wondering what the point of your negativity is, if that's the case. Perhaps you think otherwise, but in any event, you're presenting your opinions as fact (the use of the opinionated "will find", rather than the more considered "may find" is a bit of a give-away, as is "illusory", if it isn't a second language issue - I don't mean that unkindly: I can tell your English is far superior to my Italian).

I'm sure the D800 is a fine camera, but there are many people here who seem to believe that Pentax can't produce a similar format camera that would be attractive to any group they can conceive of. That may just be a lack of adequate imagination, of course, as we've seen that thinking already applied to the Q (which I think is proving them wrong) and to the K-01 (which I suspect will also prove them wrong). The problem is essentially that some people project their own wants, needs or prejudices onto the marketplace, and think that something will inevitably fail if it doesn't meet those standards, and that simply isn't necessarily so.