Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #466

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Of course. With the gang of three F2.8 G-zooms, we talk about $8000 / €8000 here
At least the Hernia and Cervical Disc Prolapse are for free. The great thing about Pentax is the Size of Camera's. The other day I switched from my EOS 1d mk2 to the Pentax and out of the blue I have a serious problem.

WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE SPACE IN MY CAMERA BAG. (No I am not shouting it is a echo from the dark inarts of my back pack)

My Camera gear looks almost silly. The Nikon Glass is indeed nice and the F2.8 G Zooms will kick az.So does Canon L glass and Sony G glass

03-17-2012, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #467
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is a lot of talk about expensive lenses and cameras here. I find kinda puzzling. In my country (USA) and here in Thailand I see a ton of Harley Davidson, BMW motorcycles that cost the same or more than a quality camera and lens set up. Which is a hobby? I know people who drive expensive cars and such. Actually I see this hobby as not being as expensive as boating, motorcycles really many hobby's. What am I missing here?
Actually I like the hobby. You can choose many quality cameras and lenses or just dabble and have fun with inexpensive.

I'll tell you I have seen some art student pics with point and shoot that are stunning. Winning flickr awards. Just amazing stuff. I have taken a step back. Just to look around.

Look at this site if you have time. I think amazing. There are extraordinarily talented people out there shooting. Some of these photos just make me reflect and pause. Amazing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milamai/

Last edited by garyk; 03-17-2012 at 02:52 AM.
03-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #468
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
There is a lot of talk about expensive lenses and cameras here. I find kinda puzzling. In my country (USA) and here in Thailand I see a ton of Harley Davidson, BMW motorcycles that cost the same or more than a quality camera and lens set up. Which is a hobby? I know people who drive expensive cars and such. Actually I see this hobby as not being as expensive as boating, motorcycles really many hobby's. What am I missing here?
Actually I like the hobby. You can choose many quality cameras and lenses or just dabble and have fun with inexpensive.
Absolutely true. I did a calculation last year to the expenses for a Pentax photohobby. Starting out is always expensive, but when you put 200 euro in a yar every month and plan on the things you want or need for your hobby, you are good on your way to have a really excellent camera set. (including laptop, software, maintaining internetside and all the extra's that are needed next to camerabody and lenses).
03-17-2012, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I think the rumor should be interpreted as "full frame will be released sometime between 2018 and 2023".

- Journalist: can we expect an Pentax FF in the near future?
- Pentax rep: No. Not now, not later, not at all.
- Journalist: Should this be understood as "well, we are thinking of making one very soon"?
- Pentax rep: No, absolutely not. We have a firm decision to stay out of the FF market.
- Journalist: How should we interpret this?
- Pentax rep: I cannot speak out clearer than I have.
- Forum rumor: A Pentax FF is soon to be announced!

Kjell
LMAO!

03-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Absolutely true. I did a calculation last year to the expenses for a Pentax photohobby. Starting out is always expensive, but when you put 200 euro in a yar every month and plan on the things you want or need for your hobby, you are good on your way to have a really excellent camera set. (including laptop, software, maintaining internetside and all the extra's that are needed next to camerabody and lenses).
The real cost of the hobby is if you start to do directed art. I.e., staged scenarios, picked or rented locations, studio with models, etc. Esp. for movie making of course. But it can be serious fun too. I've seen people (and myself) do things which wouldn't have been done otherwise.
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #471
Veteran Member

I sold my car and spend my "car money" on fun things. Thats why im realy excited about this 120-300/2.8 maby, possible comming in pK.
Last month my colleges at work thought that i was crazy when i bought a 130E whisky. I told yhem "next time you fuel up your car, you could have bought this whisky". Then i wasnt so crazy anymore.

Spend 50 000E on a hobby whith an engine - no problem. Spend a tenth on camera eqipment... OMG!
03-17-2012, 12:07 PM - 2 Likes   #472
Veteran Member

I work with a guy who collects model train equipment and has built extensive tracks/landscapes, etc. He told me he probably has around $20K invested in the hobby. Where I'm from it's routine to buy $25,000 fishing boats that are used three times per year, even if that amount represents 50% of yearly income. Of course, the Harley's that stay parked in garages 95% of the time are everywhere.... And more power to all those folks - they own things that make them happy in their own way.

On my wife's laptop, she has downloaded every picture of our kids that I've ever uploaded to picasaweb for the extended family to view - thousands & thousands of shots. They cycle on her screensaver after the laptop has been idle for a couple minutes - she sometimes just lets the screensaver go, watching the pictures, many of which document events that have already started to slip the mind.... As a life-documentation project, with some creative asides, my photography hobby has already paid for itself.

03-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
There is a lot of talk about expensive lenses and cameras here. I find kinda puzzling. In my country (USA) and here in Thailand I see a ton of Harley Davidson, BMW motorcycles that cost the same or more than a quality camera and lens set up. Which is a hobby?

The problem is that 99% are not willing to spend the same kind of money on a camera as on a motorbike. We have different comfortzones regarding price depending of what item we are talking about.
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The problem is that 99% are not willing to spend the same kind of money on a camera as on a motorbike. We have different comfortzones regarding price depending of what item we are talking about.
That, and what you could have spent the money on instead (if not a camera). A Harley sales director is alleged to have said that Harley's main competitors weren't other makes of motorcycle but things like swimming pools and new kitchens. Once you start totting up a potential investment of $5-10K in camera equipment, an awful lot of other things come into view.
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #475
Inactive Account

I justify my purchases a little by thinking that that won't depreciate too badly too. I got my fa 77 for £500 pounds in the states and they go on eBay in the uk for £500ish used regularly. Obviously that depends on condition. A harley is going to depreciate as you drive it regardless of its condition.- though I am guessing here
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #476
Veteran Member

Why are most people assuming that this photography caper is merely a hobby? From many of the great shots I've seen in these forums I assume that the involvement most people have makes it go much deeper than that. When something becomes a way of seeing everything around you, it's no hobby, it has become an intimate part of who and what you are.. not just 'something you do'.
03-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Life in itself is a hobby.
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #478
Inactive Account

Well... its actually quite strange all this, what we buy and and what it costs us.

Some people can buy boats wich they use a few times a year, or veteran cars that spend most time in a garage.
Some people buy big flat TV's and cinema systems. Most people can justify the costs of their interest with arguments that i can understand.

But... when i hear about people saying a good quality bed for 6000 usd is expensive, i call them stupid without feeling bad.
They can have the latest 2012 SUV parked outside, but they cant understand the importance of a good bed.

Me and my wife recently bought a good bed, costing us about 4000 usd. I admit, it felt a litle strange... but i have never ever in my whole life slept as good as i do now.
03-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #479
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well... its actually quite strange all this, what we buy and and what it costs us.

Some people can buy boats wich they use a few times a year, or veteran cars that spend most time in a garage.
Some people buy big flat TV's and cinema systems. Most people can justify the costs of their interest with arguments that i can understand.

But... when i hear about people saying a good quality bed for 6000 usd is expensive, i call them stupid without feeling bad.
They can have the latest 2012 SUV parked outside, but they cant understand the importance of a good bed.

Me and my wife recently bought a good bed, costing us about 4000 usd. I admit, it felt a litle strange... but i have never ever in my whole life slept as good as i do now.
A good bed is more important then a car. You also spend more time in bed then in the car... Well that goes for most people, I hope.

And not every hobby or passion has to be expensive. I run a coral reef in my living room. It was expensive initially, but now the corals are growing so good, then I sell lots of frags. Actually, almost all my lenses are funded with money earned by reefkeeping.

Now I have to figure out a way of getting money out of photografy...
03-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote

With all that sleep I don't suppose there's much chance of you wearing out your new bed. I thought you Swedes were better than that.