Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Just a thought, can the existing 16mp on the K5 be coupled, thereby getting a 32mp FF sensor.
Sensor aren't edgeless so you will have an edge in the middle of the frame so that doesn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well a mix-up with this sensor rumor for Leica is logic, since that would be presented in Germany:

What sensor will Leica use in the new M10? | Leica News & Rumors

But that is 24 megapixel CCD from Dalsa. So what are the chances on that?

As quoted earlier here.
CCD, doubt we will see that in these class of DSLR any more.

02-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #62
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Sensor aren't edgeless so you will have an edge in the middle of the frame so that doesn't work.

CCD, doubt we will see that in these class of DSLR any more.
3.6 fps 24 MP CCD...Dalsa is expensive. It's only for Leica. Not for Pentax.
02-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Now that's a pretty original joke.
Recycled thread, recycled jokes.
02-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Pentax can get access to a ready supply of sensors they are ready to make a high quality, somewhat different (unique) FF camera at a compelling price point. But they can't get the sensors (Nikon controls theirs, Sony controls theirs and Canon actively prevents others access). .
Seriously doubt that. Sony semiconductor is in the market for selling sensors...

02-18-2012, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Seriously doubt that. Sony semiconductor is in the market for selling sensors...
+1. It's definitely not in Sony's interest to limit the FF sensor buyers to Nikon and Sony only, despite some well-known PF members saying so. If Nikon goes belly up then they have a big problem. I can understand Sony not selling Nikon-spec sensors to anyone but Nikon, but Sony's own version of that sensor? They want sales, sales, sales.

If Nikon has a problem with that then it's up to them to find another supplier. Oh wait... :P
02-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
3.6 fps 24 MP CCD...Dalsa is expensive. It's only for Leica. Not for Pentax.
How much more expensive then say a Sony 24 MP CMos sensor?

Well when a pentax FF is going to run on a single PRIME M processor then 3.6 fps at 24 MP is a lot of pixels to digest.
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Sony's interest is to sell more, for sure. But if Nikon pays loads of cash to Sony so Sony let's exclusivity to Nikon (and Sony of course) for a couple months, would Sony Sensors department listen ?

I expect them to. No reason for Intel (for computer market comparison) would be alone. Sony is THE major sensor supplier and Nikon is THE major customer (Canon ruled out because the have their own sensors). Don't tell me there's no deals under the table to keep other sensors suppliers out of Nikon and keep other camera manufacturers out (or negligable) of Sony.

02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony's interest is to sell more, for sure. But if Nikon pays loads of cash to Sony so Sony let's exclusivity to Nikon (and Sony of course) for a couple months, would Sony Sensors department listen ?.
No they woudn't. I believe this is nothing but a myth. While it is very likely that Sony make some bespoke sensors for Nikon, they are otherwise a parts supplier for the industry. There are litterally thousands of parts in a camera and the manufacturers are depending on long term relationships with reliable subcontractors; not companies that may refrain from selling a component because some other customer have paid them to.
I think the main reason that Pentax may be a bit later with some sensors has to do with the initial cost factors. Sensors probably drop in price over time. Particularly when the developing cost are covered.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 02-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.
02-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I would be willing to bet the Sony's pricing structure is volume based, and Pentax can simply not buy the volume to qualify for the pricing they need to be competitive in the FF market. Nikon is projecting 30,000 D800 a month which would mean that Sony has to provided 30,000+ sensors per month. There are rumors that Nikon has an exclusive on the 36MP until 2013 and that Sony will release a 24MP in the A99 in September. It also appears there will be another OVF Sony DSLR. It is still possible we will see an A9xx. SLT is not catching on for higher end users.
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #70
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would be willing to bet the Sony's pricing structure is volume based, and Pentax can simply not buy the volume to qualify for the pricing they need to be competitive in the FF market. Nikon is projecting 30,000 D800 a month which would mean that Sony has to provided 30,000+ sensors per month. There are rumors that Nikon has an exclusive on the 36MP until 2013 and that Sony will release a 24MP in the A99 in September. It also appears there will be another OVF Sony DSLR. It is still possible we will see an A9xx. SLT is not catching on for higher end users.
Could be very true. Maybe they can jump on with the 24mp sensor from Sony, since Sony isn't going to sell the numbers of Nikon by them selfes eiter. For Pentax I presume that a production of 2,000 FF camera's a month is all to plan for production and salesnumbers.
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SLT is not catching on for higher end users.
SLT was a failure for Canon...
02-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
+1. It's definitely not in Sony's interest to limit the FF sensor buyers to Nikon and Sony only
Yes it is. If you want to keep margins high leap competition down. It's a classic biz strategy.

I've heard rumours of Nikon exclusives as have others.

No they woudn't. I believe this is nothing but a myth. While it is very likely that Sony make some bespoke sensors for Nikon, they are otherwise a parts supplier for the industry. There are litterally thousands of parts in a camera and the manufacturers are depending on long term relationships with reliable subcontractors; not companies that may refrain from selling a component because some other customer have paid them to.
I think the main reason that Pentax may be a bit later with some sensors has to do with the initial cost factors. Sensors probably drop in price over time. Particularly when the developing cost are covered.
It's volume. The cost per unit Pentax can afford is nowhere close to what Nikon can. Sony sells 100% of its FF sensors to Nikon at substantial profit. They will not jeopardize that lucrative cash flow to make Pentax happy because supplying two competitors will drive the demand price down.

Absolutely. Sony semi is selling at high margins to one major customer and keeping the rest for itself. Pentax does not have the funding to buy at those volumes so must look elsewhere for FF or delay the development.

It is in Sony's best interest to keep FF between them, Canon, Nikon, and Leica.
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Full frame be damned. I'm hoping for a large format - 8 x 10, gigapixel sensor, brand-new lens mount for which there are no existing lenses. Only $99,000.
large format digital backs exist. and there are lenses for it too.
I still think Pentax is on the way to a FF camera, and that the new design was a clever choice.
Apple were nowhere until the candy iMacs appeared.
If I could afford a K-01 now, I'd buy one. Perhaps good that I cannot, so I may have more funds when the K-2 is launched
02-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #74
Veteran Member

SLT was a failure for Canon...
The canons actually split the image between VF and film, so the finder was dim and the film is at a .5-1 stop loss.

The Sony only splits off enough light for a meter and autofocus. Its a much better system than was possible with Canons Film pellicle mirror system.
02-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I've heard rumours of Nikon exclusives as have others..
I've herad rumors that it is internet rumours with no basis in reality....