Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Having a 33x44mm sensor inside the body of a K-5 is a hopeless dream, especially if you have to put SR into it. But I think that wouldn't be necessary. I think SR is loosing importance with high ISO better year after year, and anybody would take a 33x44 sensor in a bigger body, the size of a D700, for example. A mirrorless 33x44mm sensor sized camera, with shortened mount, with a tube adapter for 645 glass and a flat adapter for K lenses would be a better camera for Pentax than a me too 24x36 camera with basically just 6 fixed focal, no zoom, lenses available for new.
Without SR and with an EVF, that camera would be ok for static shooting. Landscapes, architecture, etc... Perfect for me, because I'd keep my K5 for when there's action involved.

02-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony's interest is to sell more, for sure. But if Nikon pays loads of cash to Sony so Sony let's exclusivity to Nikon (and Sony of course) for a couple months, would Sony Sensors department listen ?

I expect them to. No reason for Intel (for computer market comparison) would be alone. Sony is THE major sensor supplier and Nikon is THE major customer (Canon ruled out because the have their own sensors). Don't tell me there's no deals under the table to keep other sensors suppliers out of Nikon and keep other camera manufacturers out (or negligable) of Sony.
These supposed deals don't seem to be working very well, considering Aptina supply all the sensors for the Nikon 1 line:

Image Sensors World: Aptina CX-Sized Sensor Named Finalist of 2012 Electronics Creativity Award
02-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #108
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
These supposed deals don't seem to be working very well, considering Aptina supply all the sensors for the Nikon 1 line:

Image Sensors World: Aptina CX-Sized Sensor Named Finalist of 2012 Electronics Creativity Award
Who are the possible sensor makers for a Pentax Full Frame sensor (CCD/CMOS) that are in the market active at this time? If PRI would descide to order a sensor just for the Pentax camera.
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Who are the possible sensor makers for a Pentax Full Frame sensor (CCD/CMOS) that are in the market active at this time? If PRI would descide to order a sensor just for the Pentax camera.
Making FF or larger chips

CCD
Dalsa
Trusense

Cmos (known FF manufacturer)
Sony
Canon

I imagine id ricoh partnered with another maker they could devlop a FF alternative but it would be a costly venture
Possible

Samsung
Fairchild
Aptiva

Of course Panasonic also makes sensors but I doubt they are ready for FF fabrication

When i look around most other manufacturers are in the technical imaging business and make CCD not Cmos

Maybe the something different will be a CCD sensor from Dalsa or trusense. with the need to update the 645D approaching maybe they can leverage it to provide a FF 645 sensor as well.

EDIT - BTW Dalsa has licensed Phillips Cmos technology so you never know they could be developing MF Cmos

02-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #110
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Making FF or larger chips

CCD
Dalsa
Trusense

Cmos (known FF manufacturer)
Sony
Canon

I imagine id ricoh partnered with another maker they could devlop a FF alternative but it would be a costly venture
Possible

Samsung
Fairchild
Aptiva

Of course Panasonic also makes sensors but I doubt they are ready for FF fabrication

When i look around most other manufacturers are in the technical imaging business and make CCD not Cmos

Maybe the something different will be a CCD sensor from Dalsa or trusense. with the need to update the 645D approaching maybe they can leverage it to provide a FF 645 sensor as well.

EDIT - BTW Dalsa has licensed Phillips Cmos technology so you never know they could be developing MF Cmos
That list is not to bad. And Kodak (is that now trusense?) is not on the list. So if they want a sensor that can be done (also APS-H the way I look at it!).
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Kodak is now Trusense you're correct

Reality is Dalsa doesn't actually make FF 35mm currently though they make bigger so tech could be downsized

Truee FF off the shelf it's really Trusense and Sony at the moment (ccd or Cmos)

I have no problem with a CCD but I think it would probably struggle in the consumer end of the market a $2000 FF is targeting. CCD means no live view, no video and poorer high iso performance. The benefit is better low iso performance. It works in Medium format since the Low iso performance easily trumps all the reat for that client. Same for the leica where the mindset has always been if you want to shoot low light you buy a really fast (and bloody expensive) lens

I certain someone else can fab a FF sensor (aptiva already makes APSC for instance, and Pentax has used Samsung before as we all know) but getting a unit cost comparable to what it will be off the shelf will require a big commitment and I'm not sure the sales base exists yet for tat level. So it's back to will Sony sell Pentax the sensors or not, or will Pentax be willing to be more unique making a true photographers CCD FF at a much lower price than the leica???
Only time will tell (apparently the m9 sensor originally cost leica a couple of thousand though)
02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That list is not to bad. And Kodak (is that now trusense?) is not on the list. So if they want a sensor that can be done (also APS-H the way I look at it!).
Yes - Kodak is now Trusense

02-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #113
Veteran Member

I'm pretty certain Sony will have no problem selling FF sensors to Pentax.
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I'm pretty certain Sony will have no problem selling FF sensors to Pentax.
Replace Fife with Sensor.

02-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #115
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Kodak is now Trusense you're correct

Reality is Dalsa doesn't actually make FF 35mm currently though they make bigger so tech could be downsized
FTF6040C 24 MP Color CCD - Product Detail - Teledyne DALSA
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #116
Pentaxian

As per Canon rumors Pentax may have missed the opportunity to deliver a small FF DSLR... Canon seems to have jumped on that boat.

If nothing has materialized on the Photokina then I will buy a 5D MkII as a 2nd body for my precious FF glass.

02-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #117

Yes, from these pictures the new 5D really looks smaller than the previous 5D bodies... very interesting times.. Wonder what will be the price point - now that the Nikon D800 was priced much lower than anticipated? Anyway, it will bring the other 5D series prices down even more...
02-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
As per Canon rumors Pentax may have missed the opportunity to deliver a small FF DSLR... Canon seems to have jumped on that boat.
Really? That camera looks fat to me. Even an elephant will look small when compared to the 1DX
02-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Really? That camera looks fat to me. Even an elephant will look small when compared to the 1DX

But as an ex-5D owner I think it's really smaller. Of course the photos can be deceiving but it really seems smaller than the previous 5D iterations.
02-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #120
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Yes, from these pictures the new 5D really looks smaller than the previous 5D bodies... very interesting times.. Wonder what will be the price point - now that the Nikon D800 was priced much lower than anticipated? Anyway, it will bring the other 5D series prices down even more...
It's not small camera. It's BIGGER lens mounted at it. It's illusion that camera is small