Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

this, from an nda signature, on the k20d

in this small world, i met someone who has used the k10d replacement. over a coffee, 'some' stuff, off the record, was shared.

paraphrasing our 45 minute conversation (the bits about pentax anyway);

re the k10d replacement:

Liveview? - yep.

Viewfinder review? - no expression, no comment.

14bit colour? / 14mp sensor? - just a smile, no comment.

FPS? - big nod, pretty fast, but not as fast as d3.

Screen? - gorgeous, very high res 3"

TTL/PPTL? - PPTL only

Any 'secret weapon'? - this sent him off on an interesting tangent. His take was that pentax is on the verge of some kind of beginning - aka Steve Jobs return to Apple - that they're going to use a precision campaign over the next 12+ months that'll build momentum/sales, for far less marketing money than big $ ads in glossy mags ever yield. Including aggessive poaching/recruiting of well known photogs from the n/c duopoly. The exception being marketing $ for the 'glass' - that's going into the standard streams for the first time.

he said the 'pro/serious amateur' orientation of design - makes the d300 look like a 'for dummies' camera - they're not trying to be all things to all people - which they'll continue, building image as a serious photographic tool (no money in p/s market - margins are too low).

n*kon (didn't mention c*non?) are going to sh*t themselves, because if they drop their prices to compete - they'll drop the perceived value of their products - ie 'brand image'. Pentax designers/engineers aren't as likely to be poached by n/c - because they have a lot of freedom atm - + fresh hoya merger $.

new weatherproof flashes? - didn't know.

secret weapon (had to ask again)? - when you see them (that was 'them', so I'm assuming more than just 'one'), you'll think, "god, how obvious", like all great design, it seems simple when you see the finished product - and n/c could/will do it, but they'll have to do it the long/hard/expensive way because the patents protect/apply to the most cost effective methods/options.

why was he chosen to test the new cam? - no Pentax experience but, plenty with the opposition - and time on his hands (back injury).

will he shoot pentax when it's released? - not until they get the new glass out. then, definitely.

why'd he talk to me? chance meeting, and i think he was busting to tell someone. or he's a great liar who carries around a brilliant k20d mockup ;-)

regrets - wish i'd asked him more pentax questions, but i was too busy asking him about how he got his business going and building/maintaining his client base. i did ask if he'd heard of ben kanarek, he hadn't - fashion isn't his thing

01-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Aren't you the same guy who saw this mysterious camera at a wedding?
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it was the same guy. i never forget a face.
01-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you ask him about the potential image quality of the new sensor?

The camera can have all the secret weapons, but if the image quality does not match up, it will not earn the respect.

01-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

so, 123K10D, why didn't you mention at first that it was the "wedding guy"?

we seem to have many good writers around here!
01-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Not Registered

Some people really find a sadistic pleasure in torturing other posters who a) if they are honest they are just trying to help/share or b) they are lying in the pursuit of attention in which case they need some help rather than an interrogatory. If that conversation is true (and I dont have a reason to think that it is not) I understand that the guy wouldnt want to look like a tech jerk looking for the information that every person in the forum is looking for. Actually, I think that he did a good job. I wouldnt ask him to many things as he did, I would have been more interested in knowing more about his view of photography and some advice in lighting...
01-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote

new weatherproof flashes? - didn't know.
Thank you for asking.
01-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
...they're going to use a precision campaign over the next 12+ months that'll build momentum/sales, for far less marketing money than big $ ads in glossy mags ever yield. Including aggessive poaching/recruiting of well known photogs from the n/c duopoly. The exception being marketing $ for the 'glass' - that's going into the standard streams for the first time.

Interesting...It kinda goes back to Pentax's original marketing strength, word of mouth. I also think it's interesting that the marketing dollars are going to go into promoting the glass. That makes sense from a Hoya point of view because that's where they can control more of the production sources and optimize their profit. Get 'em hooked on the cameras and make your money off the glass.

01-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, hope its all true.

Now then, this wedding guy, whomever s/he might be signed a NDA with Hoya/Pentax right? He is in Australia and he has/had a back injury.

Isn't this type of detail enough to find out who's been talking and therefore he will no longer be trysted by Pentax and might have even broken the NDA.
01-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's some further info on the new body and the press realease which is sheduled now for Jan 10 in Dubai

Quote from the page Google translation from Italian:
02.01.2008 - With the merger of the group Pentax Hoya effective from 12 March, will open for a glorious Japanese brand new road in the photographic market. What seems certain is that Hoya, the medical interessatissima of Pentax, has all intezioni of photographic value. This was confirmed by the fact that for the first time in its history, Pentax announced an international press conference to be held on January 10 in Dubai. On that occasion, in all likelihood, it will be possible to see confirmed two new entries reflex (evolution excellent K10D and K100D with Cmos sensors from 14 and 10MP) and understand how the "new" Pentax intends to move in a market across reflex 'compressed hours between Canon and Nikon. Furthermore, if ever riesumato the project 645D, in which time the house will proceed to and renovation of the range of objectives and if, as it seems, will continue cooperation with Samsung for reflex cameras.

Translated page is here:
Translated version of http://www.reflex.it/news.html

Original page is here:
FOTOGRAFIA REFLEX

Looks like we'll know soon and the various rumours are all sounding very similar.
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

Now then, this wedding guy, whomever s/he might be signed a NDA with Hoya/Pentax right? He is in Australia and he has/had a back injury.

Isn't this type of detail enough to find out who's been talking and therefore he will no longer be trysted by Pentax and might have even broken the NDA.
Or perhaps this slow leak of information is part of the new marketing style.
01-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

Perhaps Pentax broke his back when they heard he had used the camera in a public shoot (breaking the NDA), and now he just hasn't got anything to loose anymore?

Wim
01-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you read carefully, he didn't tell anything.
Either it is already known or it is so wishy-washy that it could mean anything.
01-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Or perhaps this slow leak of information is part of the new marketing style.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Perhaps Pentax broke his back when they heard he had used the camera in a public shoot (breaking the NDA), and now he just hasn't got anything to loose anymore?

Wim
How true, to both.
01-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #15

Google translator su**s, i'm italian, here a rough translation:

With Pentax/Hoya merger effectively starting from 12/3/08, a new path is opening for the glorious japanese brand. What's for sure is that Hoya, originally VERY interested in medical division, will take care of photographic one too. Confirmed by the first time ever worldwide Pentax press release in Dubai next 10 january. In that time almost surely we'll see the evolution of the very good K10d and K100d with 14mp and 10mp CMOS sensors and to try to understand next Pentax moves in market heavily saturated by Canikon. Then, maybe we'll know 645d destiny, new lenses roadmap, and Samsung partnership.

10 january???