Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Impressive quality Dan and not all that expensive either when you consider the alternatives.
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Yeah the Nikon 24-70.. for about $1800... that 28-75 looks pretty damn fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm thought the Tammy was very good on APS but very mediocre on Full frame?
I know this is photozone take on it but I mostly read comments in the same way...
Yeah, certainly the main alternative is quite expensive. I own the Nikon 24-70, although it was a somewhat recent acquisition and I haven't really has a chance to directly compare it to the Tamron (which I am borrowing from a friend). I have no doubt the 24-70 will prove to be the superior lens, but at a cost of 4-5x, I would certainly expect that to be the case. In terms of value, it's a much tougher call and would come down to what type of shooting you were doing and if you were getting paid to do it

As for the Tammy not being good on FF, again I think it depends what your expectations are. I'm sure the edges and corners aren't as good on FF as they are on crop, but at the same time for a lot of what I shoot (my kids) I'm not terribly concerned with corner/edge performance. Kind of like the 18-135WR that photozone gave low marks to, I personally like that lens a lot despite it's weakness away from the center of the frame at longer focal lengths.

03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Do Nikon bodies correct other makers lenses on-board? I know that Pentax only allows the advanced metering and lens corrections with their own lenses. I played around with a Nikon 24-70 on a D700 bdy in a shop a week ago and thught teh lens was pretty big and I could see barrel distortion in the VF. Also, CA results on tests of that lens aren't all that great ASFAIAC. The Sony/Zeiss version gets better test results where I've seen it tested.
03-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well this thread has been officially jacked into another FF (Nikon) discussion thread!
At any rate... from what I've been reading the 24-70 is supposedly best in class & FL range. But it still is far from "perfect".
I was surprised to read up on the 105mm f2.8 Micro-Nikkor VR.. Great high end glass for a fairly good price oveall..
Well I JUST about bought a D3 off ebay today, I missed it by seconds! Ahh well lots will come up now with the D4 and D800/E hitting shelves soon.
03-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #364
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
As for the Tammy not being good on FF, again I think it depends what your expectations are. I'm sure the edges and corners aren't as good on FF as they are on crop, but at the same time for a lot of what I shoot (my kids) I'm not terribly concerned with corner/edge performance. Kind of like the 18-135WR that photozone gave low marks to, I personally like that lens a lot despite it's weakness away from the center of the frame at longer focal lengths.
Thank you !

03-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #365
Pentaxian

Do Nikon bodies correct other makers lenses on-board? I know that Pentax only allows the advanced metering and lens corrections with their own lenses. I played around with a Nikon 24-70 on a D700 bdy in a shop a week ago and thught teh lens was pretty big and I could see barrel distortion in the VF. Also, CA results on tests of that lens aren't all that great ASFAIAC. The Sony/Zeiss version gets better test results where I've seen it tested.
Metering? AFAIK All lenses won't do anything to metering but if they're non 'A type' or if
03-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #366
Pentaxian

Metering? AFAIK All lenses won't do anything to metering but if they're non 'A type' or if aperture ring isn't on 'A' setting.
Auto geometry correction is sometihng else but pretty obvious, correction data is embedded in lenses chip (all DA lenses AFAICT).
03-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
correction data is embedded in lenses chip (all DA lenses AFAICT).
I'd put this data in the firmware of the cameras if I were the MFR, but I have no data to back this up...
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
I'd put this data in the firmware of the cameras if I were the MFR, but I have no data to back this up...
Has been said by Pentax rep but really can't remember, it was at the time of the K7 introduction (and introduction of the feature).
Previous (like FA Limited, DFAs) are probably in camera firmware indeed.