Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #31
Pentaxian
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
A great interview but nothing for the FF hopefuls. A tad disappointing really.

02-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #32
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poland, Cracow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8
Now it's clear to me - no chance for FF in near future.
I wait for Mark III to compare with Nikon D800 - time to change system

It's great Pentax wants to be unique, different to others. But somtimes I need tools to work or even chance for it
02-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
I just don't understand the point of FF hoping forum members.
It is several years already that Pentax tell you no, there will be no FF DSLR. "We'd lose money on that" they say and I agree. What is it you don't understand about it?

It's like dating a girl that won't sleep with you and tells you that she is not interested in sex for five years, in some faint hope that she will change her mind. And yet you keep seeing her. You have 2 options - either leave her or date some other girl simultaneously, one that is more open to your propositions. Having more systems is not a sin.

A 5D with K-to-EOS adaptor is not that expensive.
02-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
Good interview even if nothing really new and exciting was mentioned.

02-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I just don't understand the point of FF hoping forum members.
Well, if Pentax released such a camera, they'd have something to new to complain about.
02-20-2012, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,910
I thought it interesting he said that the K-01 was not really a mainstream product. He emphasized the designer angle, its K-mount heritage and its video abilities but something told me his heart wasn't really in it. If mirrorless continues to grow and starts to take over the whole house, Pentax must be wondering how long they can wait before moving on from K mount and developing a new lens system with a far smaller registration distance. That's the real challenged they face, I'd guess, and if they place the wrong bets they really will be putting themselves out on a limb. FF is neither here nor there by comparison. Otherwise he gave nothing away but I guess we'd expect that. He did, however, sound far keener on continuing with OVF that I expected and his emphasis on how a camera feels and handles was good to hear.
02-20-2012, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Pentax must be wondering how long they can wait before moving on from K mount and developing a new lens system with a far smaller registration distance.
I'm wondering why everyone seems to forget the Q as that is exactly what Pentax did. Come on guys, the Q deserves more praise!

One positive thing about the interview: more 2nd hand precious FF glass will be available in the coming weeks

(I will stay with Pentax no matter what).
02-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by pich Quote
Now it's clear to me - no chance for FF in near future.
The most ardent FF hopefuls are the easiest to get disillusioned...
But the Pentax president didn't deny the possibility of a future FF camera. He said Pentax continually considers it! And he went on along the lines of "if a FF is going to be developed, it will have to...," which is very much compatible with the possibility of it's being developed now. There's no clear indicator for or against the development of a Pentax FF in this interview--and yet nobody could have extracted more info from a Japanese guy. The Japanese are known to be very evasive if pushed to reveal info.

I think a Pentax FF will show up at some point, but for me a FF isn't essential. I'd like to have one, though. On the other hand, a VF is essential, so I'm glad he believes DSLR's will still dominate the market (for a while), I'm not very happy concerning their decision not to come up with an EVF for the K-0x series. They apparently take the K-01 to be a complement to the Pentax dslr line rather than an independent project: "since the K-01 uses K mount lenses, a VF would be meaningless." Meaningless, because we already have cameras with optical VF, and the K-01 is something different.


Last edited by causey; 02-20-2012 at 07:03 AM.
02-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
Meaningless, because it would only work for the 31mm Limited Otherwise, I can only agree.
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
Time for the FF K1000 retro alike! Its the most well known Pentax and would blow the OMD out of the water! That or the FF mounter for the GXR as unique as it gets.
Actually I'm gonna start a totally new thread for this.
02-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,910
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm wondering why everyone seems to forget the Q as that is exactly what Pentax did. Come on guys, the Q deserves more praise!.
Lol. Where I live, a Q kit costs more than several Panasonic or Olympus m4/3 kits. Much as I like the Q's build quality and design, I'm afraid sanity has to prevail when it comes to reaching for the plastic. Actually, it's a pity the interviewer didn't ask some questions about the Q and its future in the ecosystem because it has attracted a lot of interest and mostly favourable coverage (apart from the price), more so than the K-01 may in fact.
02-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #42
New Member
norm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 22
He said there are some lens that aren't on the roadmap.... Why?

The answer is... all those lens are designed for FF!!!!
02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
Actually I liked his answer on full frame. Basically it was "We're not going to do it just to do it, we're going to do it when we can make it successful in our own way." I think that's as best we can hope for as Pentax fans. From what he said, I personally think we can expect a full frame camera some time down the line.

But if you want a full frame camera this year or maybe even next year, YES, definitely look at companies who already sell full frame. Especially if you want a huge beast for professionals that has 36 MP because I can't imagine Pentax creating anything like that.
Don't delay, do it! Otherwise it will just turn into resentment toward Pentax that they don't deserve.

Personally my current plans include picking up a used Canon 5D to have fun with full frame and to continue on with my Pentax stuff so I can take advantage of the exciting new products that will be coming down the pike from Pentax/Ricoh. I am particularly interested in this new limited zoom, which, besides the super telephoto and possibly the XS lens line, seems like the most ambitious and promising item on the lens roadmap.
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,008
+1 on the new zoom limited!
02-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Actually I liked his answer on full frame. Basically it was "We're not going to do it just to do it, we're going to do it when we can make it successful in our own way." I think that's as best we can hope for as Pentax fans. From what he said, I personally think we can expect a full frame camera some time down the line.

But if you want a full frame camera this year or maybe even next year, YES, definitely look at companies who already sell full frame. Especially if you want a huge beast for professionals that has 36 MP because I can't imagine Pentax creating anything like that.
Don't delay, do it! Otherwise it will just turn into resentment toward Pentax that they don't deserve.

Personally my current plans include picking up a used Canon 5D to have fun with full frame and to continue on with my Pentax stuff so I can take advantage of the exciting new products that will be coming down the pike from Pentax/Ricoh. I am particularly interested in this new limited zoom, which, besides the super telephoto and possibly the XS lens line, seems like the most ambitious and promising item on the lens roadmap.
Well said, there will be a few 'cheap' Nikon D700s hitting the 2nd hand market soon with the D800 release. Thats what I would do if I needed that FF body NOW.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cp, interview, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The EXCLUSIVE GALLERY ("PEG") at PentaxForums Adam Post Your Photos! 627 12-08-2016 02:45 PM
PentaxForums.com to Interview Pentax Japan on Feb 11 - Preliminary responses up! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 286 02-19-2012 11:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top