Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I took the laughter to be a little bit more benign than you did.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
always trying to invent reasons to be unsatisfied with something.
FFS, it was just a natural reaction to that question.
If it were a free talk interview with a western speaker, I would agree. But his answers were prepared. And I guess, his laughter was too. But that's not my point, only a reinforcement. May point is that the dogmatic non-committment wrt FF did not change with the change to Ricoh, despite the obvious acknowledgement that it is the single most issued request by Pentaxians.

And I am not bitter about it. I am only sorry to see so many Pentaxians stand in line for a D800. Not sorry for them, but for Pentax.

02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

I took the laughter to be a little bit more benign than you did. Like, I knew you were going to ask me that. The question was even asked in a way that would make him laugh: "You know there's this elephant in the room I'm going to ask you about, right?" "Yeah, yeah I know."
It seemed that way to me as well. The laughter was 'yes, we're aware of your interest!'.
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
So, what did the dude actually SAY? Lots of nice chatter with rather little content. Two concrete points which I noted were that DSLRs will still be made - as many have taken as a given - and that no FF mirrorless is in the pipeline. Anything else really?
I will tell you all about it in Prague.
02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #64
Veteran Member

At least they could have shot the interview with a Canon camera. The changes in exposure each time someone passed on the backgroud were too distracting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I will tell you all about it in Prague.
What's up with Prague?

Last edited by elho_cid; 02-20-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Prague
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Well done and thanks Adam!
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
The laughter was the most telling part of this interview. Well, that and the announcement of the new AF system in the 560.
I must have missed something in the interview and I fail to "see" what was said about the 560mm "new AF system".
Care to oblige with more details than I can find?

Cheers.

JP
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
So can we now safely assume the new DA* 16-something lens will be an f/2.8?

The interview hinted strongly at it being a replacement for the 16-50mm. An f/4 can hardly be considered a replacement for an f/2.8 lens.

The performance, price and SDM issues of the 16-50mm scared me off. However I badly wanted a WR, high quality, fast lens in that range. I'm really looking forward to this!

Oh and great job on the interview!
The shorter focal length than the 16-50 could mean something special. Either a f2-2.5 shorter focal length lens. A compact da* standard zoom. Or a very high performance optic. Or it could be a more affordable optic
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

And I am not bitter about it. I am only sorry to see so many Pentaxians stand in line for a D800. Not sorry for them, but for Pentax.
+1.

Also, the used D700's hitting the marketplace will be an enticing draw..... (hint, hint )

02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photokina it will be... And I'm happy about that because I still need to save more pennies
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
+1.

Also, the used D700's hitting the marketplace will be an enticing draw..... (hint, hint )
Lol, falling pray to the siren update song are we jshermann? Hope you enjoy, looks like a great camera
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Was there any mention of higher end glass? I know the DA* 16-50 is on the road map, but is there any talk about fast primes between the 77mm and the 200mm range? 90mm F/1.4 or 135mm F/1.8? Any mention of an improved version of SDM?

Is improving AF technology high on the list?

I don't have time to watch the video right now, but were any of these mentioned?
02-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am only sorry to see so many Pentaxians stand in line for a D800. Not sorry for them, but for Pentax.
On that we can agree.

QuoteQuote:
At least they could have shot the interview with a Canon camera. The changes in exposure each time someone passed on the backgroud were too distracting.
Who needs a Canon? Just hit AE lock

QuoteQuote:
The shorter focal length than the 16-50 could mean something special. Either a f2-2.5 shorter focal length lens. A compact da* standard zoom. Or a very high performance optic. Or it could be a more affordable optic.
A high quality 16-35 f/2.8 is what I would like to see. It'd hit that 20-30 mm range where Pentax isn't as strong. I know on the lens roadmap it looks more like its a 20-40 mm, but we'll have to see what happens.
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Was there any mention of higher end glass? I know the DA* 16-50 is on the road map, but is there any talk about fast primes between the 77mm and the 200mm range? 90mm F/1.4 or 135mm F/1.8? Any mention of an improved version of SDM?

Is improving AF technology high on the list?

I don't have time to watch the video right now, but were any of these mentioned?
Nope. They weren't really asked about, either, though.
02-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Lol, falling pray to the siren update song are we jshermann? Hope you enjoy, looks like a great camera
The fact that I literally can't find any fault with the D700 is keeping me from hitting preorder. Want vs. Need has never been in such stark relief with me.

I think I have a hard time upgrading in general, though. My K20D refuses to let me down as well, as much as I would like to swap it for a K-5.
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #75
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of practical advantages the K-5 has over the K20D Jay, but I take your point. Anyway, there is much to look forward to with Pentax. A little patience might find the K-mount going places again.