Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

A great interview but nothing for the FF hopefuls. A tad disappointing really.

02-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Now it's clear to me - no chance for FF in near future.
I wait for Mark III to compare with Nikon D800 - time to change system

It's great Pentax wants to be unique, different to others. But somtimes I need tools to work or even chance for it
02-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I just don't understand the point of FF hoping forum members.
It is several years already that Pentax tell you no, there will be no FF DSLR. "We'd lose money on that" they say and I agree. What is it you don't understand about it?

It's like dating a girl that won't sleep with you and tells you that she is not interested in sex for five years, in some faint hope that she will change her mind. And yet you keep seeing her. You have 2 options - either leave her or date some other girl simultaneously, one that is more open to your propositions. Having more systems is not a sin.

A 5D with K-to-EOS adaptor is not that expensive.
02-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Good interview even if nothing really new and exciting was mentioned.

02-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I just don't understand the point of FF hoping forum members.
Well, if Pentax released such a camera, they'd have something to new to complain about.
02-20-2012, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I thought it interesting he said that the K-01 was not really a mainstream product. He emphasized the designer angle, its K-mount heritage and its video abilities but something told me his heart wasn't really in it. If mirrorless continues to grow and starts to take over the whole house, Pentax must be wondering how long they can wait before moving on from K mount and developing a new lens system with a far smaller registration distance. That's the real challenged they face, I'd guess, and if they place the wrong bets they really will be putting themselves out on a limb. FF is neither here nor there by comparison. Otherwise he gave nothing away but I guess we'd expect that. He did, however, sound far keener on continuing with OVF that I expected and his emphasis on how a camera feels and handles was good to hear.
02-20-2012, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Pentax must be wondering how long they can wait before moving on from K mount and developing a new lens system with a far smaller registration distance.
I'm wondering why everyone seems to forget the Q as that is exactly what Pentax did. Come on guys, the Q deserves more praise!

One positive thing about the interview: more 2nd hand precious FF glass will be available in the coming weeks

(I will stay with Pentax no matter what).

02-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pich Quote
Now it's clear to me - no chance for FF in near future.
The most ardent FF hopefuls are the easiest to get disillusioned...
But the Pentax president didn't deny the possibility of a future FF camera. He said Pentax continually considers it! And he went on along the lines of "if a FF is going to be developed, it will have to...," which is very much compatible with the possibility of it's being developed now. There's no clear indicator for or against the development of a Pentax FF in this interview--and yet nobody could have extracted more info from a Japanese guy. The Japanese are known to be very evasive if pushed to reveal info.

I think a Pentax FF will show up at some point, but for me a FF isn't essential. I'd like to have one, though. On the other hand, a VF is essential, so I'm glad he believes DSLR's will still dominate the market (for a while), I'm not very happy concerning their decision not to come up with an EVF for the K-0x series. They apparently take the K-01 to be a complement to the Pentax dslr line rather than an independent project: "since the K-01 uses K mount lenses, a VF would be meaningless." Meaningless, because we already have cameras with optical VF, and the K-01 is something different.

Last edited by causey; 02-20-2012 at 07:03 AM.
02-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Meaningless, because it would only work for the 31mm Limited Otherwise, I can only agree.
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Time for the FF K1000 retro alike! Its the most well known Pentax and would blow the OMD out of the water! That or the FF mounter for the GXR as unique as it gets.
Actually I'm gonna start a totally new thread for this.
02-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm wondering why everyone seems to forget the Q as that is exactly what Pentax did. Come on guys, the Q deserves more praise!.
Lol. Where I live, a Q kit costs more than several Panasonic or Olympus m4/3 kits. Much as I like the Q's build quality and design, I'm afraid sanity has to prevail when it comes to reaching for the plastic. Actually, it's a pity the interviewer didn't ask some questions about the Q and its future in the ecosystem because it has attracted a lot of interest and mostly favourable coverage (apart from the price), more so than the K-01 may in fact.
02-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #42

He said there are some lens that aren't on the roadmap.... Why?

The answer is... all those lens are designed for FF!!!!
02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually I liked his answer on full frame. Basically it was "We're not going to do it just to do it, we're going to do it when we can make it successful in our own way." I think that's as best we can hope for as Pentax fans. From what he said, I personally think we can expect a full frame camera some time down the line.

But if you want a full frame camera this year or maybe even next year, YES, definitely look at companies who already sell full frame. Especially if you want a huge beast for professionals that has 36 MP because I can't imagine Pentax creating anything like that.
Don't delay, do it! Otherwise it will just turn into resentment toward Pentax that they don't deserve.

Personally my current plans include picking up a used Canon 5D to have fun with full frame and to continue on with my Pentax stuff so I can take advantage of the exciting new products that will be coming down the pike from Pentax/Ricoh. I am particularly interested in this new limited zoom, which, besides the super telephoto and possibly the XS lens line, seems like the most ambitious and promising item on the lens roadmap.
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian

+1 on the new zoom limited!
02-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Actually I liked his answer on full frame. Basically it was "We're not going to do it just to do it, we're going to do it when we can make it successful in our own way." I think that's as best we can hope for as Pentax fans. From what he said, I personally think we can expect a full frame camera some time down the line.

But if you want a full frame camera this year or maybe even next year, YES, definitely look at companies who already sell full frame. Especially if you want a huge beast for professionals that has 36 MP because I can't imagine Pentax creating anything like that.
Don't delay, do it! Otherwise it will just turn into resentment toward Pentax that they don't deserve.

Personally my current plans include picking up a used Canon 5D to have fun with full frame and to continue on with my Pentax stuff so I can take advantage of the exciting new products that will be coming down the pike from Pentax/Ricoh. I am particularly interested in this new limited zoom, which, besides the super telephoto and possibly the XS lens line, seems like the most ambitious and promising item on the lens roadmap.
Well said, there will be a few 'cheap' Nikon D700s hitting the 2nd hand market soon with the D800 release. Thats what I would do if I needed that FF body NOW.