Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

On the one hand, I applaud the initiative for the interview and am grateful to those involved.

On the other hand, did we really need another interview like this?

Burning topics like
  • K-5 successor
  • SDM reliability
  • tethering software (more than just shutter release and image transfer, models other than the 645D)
  • full frame
were not discussed.

I realise that there was a question about full frame, but it was not followed up with more questions about what niche Pentax is thinking about to fill and how long they think that niche will be available to them.

The window for addressing the niche for a small, affordable, weather-sealed full frame camera is rapidly closing. It would have been great if the interviewer would have confronted Mr. Kawauchi with some pressing issues regarding full frame and the dangers of losing more and more Pentaxians to Canikon (see also Jay's post about "fighting the fluff").

Maybe the interviewer didn't understand the answers in real time and could not react to answers, maybe some of the issues are too sore a point for Pentax, maybe there is a need for secrecy, whatever the reason, I don't think we needed another interview like that.

Last edited by Class A; 02-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are a number of practical advantages the K-5 has over the K20D Jay, but I take your point. Anyway, there is much to look forward to with Pentax. A little patience might find the K-mount going places again.
A really good offering in aps-c combined with a few more lenses popping up on the roadmap would be very welcome, and would show that Ricoh really is willing to support and develop K-mount. A FF offering would prove that in spades

Re K-5 vs K20D - honestly, if I thought Pentax was for sure coming out with a FF body sometime in the next two years, I would be much more apt to upgrade to a K-5 right now. As it stands, I feel a little jittery putting money into a Pentax K-mount body....
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If it were a free talk interview with a western speaker, I would agree. But his answers were prepared. And I guess, his laughter was too. But that's not my point, only a reinforcement. May point is that the dogmatic non-committment wrt FF did not change with the change to Ricoh, despite the obvious acknowledgement that it is the single most issued request by Pentaxians.

And I am not bitter about it. I am only sorry to see so many Pentaxians stand in line for a D800. Not sorry for them, but for Pentax.
You are seeing way to much over a simple laugh.
Please, remember how committal Nikon was, until just before launching their first FF. Pentax won't be any different.

Winder, with what's on the roadmap, the prototype shown and those top-secret FF zooms they can't tell us about - plus the 645D lenses, I believe they have their hands full for now.
02-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pleased to say that he didn't say no regarding full frame except that if they do release a full frame then they want something that is not just the same old thing, but again to be something 'different'. Makes me think that they are probably working on some different concepts. Hopefully something will come together over the next year or so and we will see something completely different.

02-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Please, remember how committal Nikon was, until just before launching their first FF. Pentax won't be any different.

Winder, with what's on the roadmap, the prototype shown and those top-secret FF zooms they can't tell us about - plus the 645D lenses, I believe they have their hands full for now.
The road map is not very encouraging IMHO. I like the one DA* Ltd zoom, scheduled for 2013 (or later), and I see the importance of the 560mm even though I would have no need for it. The gap between 77mm and 200mm is the biggest problem I see. I just bought the Sigma 85mm and Sigma is rumored to be working on a 135mm F/2 so I guess I wont need to give Pentax any of my money anyway. Might buy the DA* 200mm this year.

I would like to see Pentax consolidate the existing lens line up. They have 2 40mm lenses and a 43mm. They have 2 35mm and a 31mm. They have 70mm & a 77mm. The will have 2 50mm and a 55mm. No company saturates the middle like Pentax.
02-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

I agree. Pentax basically had their K5 upstaged by Nikon's D7000 -- not sure who knocked off who there, but if they are considering a full frame camera, they are going to want make a splash with it. Saying they are working on full frame lenses or, giving clues about what they are thinking of putting into such a camera would tend to weaken the effect of such a release.

Company line will be "APS-C is good enough" until there is a Pentax full frame camera in stores.
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Yes, I can't imagine someone in that position leaking the companies plans without losing his job. Maybe we should start a thread with posts that imagine what this unique FF could look like or at least what it could be made up of.

Here are some suggestions:
1: EVF with focus peaking and heads up displays
2: Square sensor with framing/crops accessed via a mode switch or button to rotate through presets
3: no grip because the sensor does away with 'portrait mode' shooting
4: built-in GPS with online storage access via wi-fi
5: tethered shooting
6: Focus bracketing with the possibility of exposure bracketing combined.
7: molded camera base or the possibility of attached bases to match the hand contours.
8: Touch sensitive rear LCD when operating in certain modes
9: remote VF access
10: slightly larger than K-5 due to no need for extra grip.
11: Mirror-less of course

I imagine they have a design already in mockup form but need certain technologies to 'catch up' before they are useful.

Last edited by bossa; 02-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I wonder if Ricoh will release a FF sensor module with K Mount adapter for the GXR.

A GXRK-24FF might be interesting

Last edited by bossa; 02-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The road map is not very encouraging IMHO. I like the one DA* Ltd zoom, scheduled for 2013 (or later), and I see the importance of the 560mm even though I would have no need for it. The gap between 77mm and 200mm is the biggest problem I see. I just bought the Sigma 85mm and Sigma is rumored to be working on a 135mm F/2 so I guess I wont need to give Pentax any of my money anyway. Might buy the DA* 200mm this year.

I would like to see Pentax consolidate the existing lens line up. They have 2 40mm lenses and a 43mm. They have 2 35mm and a 31mm. They have 70mm & a 77mm. The will have 2 50mm and a 55mm. No company saturates the middle like Pentax.
On the contrary, I believe it's quite encouraging. Keep in mind, things won't stop there and that you already find things you like on it.
Of course, I can't help but see there are no primes for 2013. But all lenses seems to make sense (well, not sure about the high magnification zoom)
02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #85
Veteran Member

It seems to me that everybodies reaction to the "silence" on the full frame issue may be a bit of an over reaction.
Why do I say this? Because there is an equal amount of silence on the K5 replacement, yet we know that one is coming.

I have had a loud voice on here advocating a full frame from Pentax.

That's until the K5 came out. I don't really know what a full frame (from Pentax or any of the current Canikon models) will give me for landscape photography that the K5 can't already provide.
And the K5 replacement might close that "gap" even more.

Certainly the K5 has appeased my hunger for a full frame but it will be interesting to see what PRI will pull out of the hat.
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Especially if you want a huge beast for professionals that has 36 MP because I can't imagine Pentax creating anything like that.
Don't delay, do it! Otherwise it will just turn into resentment toward Pentax that they don't deserve.
D800 dimensions: 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2 in (without battery grip)
K20-D dimensions: 5.6 x 4.0 x 2.8 in (without battery grip)

Not that different in size and certainly not a beast. The window to make a compact FF is closing.
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
In general, I thought it was cool to see him talk about what Pentax thinks about itself, such as promising to be unique and well made. It's not just an accident that they are weird, in other words, they do it on purpose and take pride in it
Well I know I'm weird so why shouldn't they be?
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
D800 dimensions: 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2 in (without battery grip)
K20-D dimensions: 5.6 x 4.0 x 2.8 in (without battery grip)

Not that different in size and certainly not a beast. The window to make a compact FF is closing.
Yeah, I considered editing that after I said it since the actual camera body isn't that huge. I was more referring to how fully loaded with features the thing is, and I meant beast in a complimentary sense. So I hereby officially clarify what I meant.

Now add some of those big Nikon zooms on it and then it becomes a beast in both size and features
02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well I know I'm weird so why shouldn't they be?
Haha, you either love Pentax for being weird or you don't. I personally do, which probably makes me weird, too.
02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #90
Inactive Account

Pentax is buried but not dead. With no funding and no development in the lens division. It is just a dead end. The 560 is a joke period. Great marketing but still a joke. This interview says it all.