Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #136
Inactive Account

But Q and K-01 must still be Hoya times, right?

02-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #137
Veteran Member

36x36 would be quite expensive, I'd expect WAY more than 50% more expensive than surface area would indicate. Perhaps more importantly it would be tough to package everything in the k-mount... the mirror would need to be 50% larger than FF, etc, etc. I'm sticking with my 25.5x34mm format suggestion.
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I quess so. But Pentax has still lead for camera business still, there was some sort a news for that too...and maybe latter (K-01) was made during hoya, but financed during RICOH? How many good projects still at drawing table waiting for €€..?
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #139
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
For the record they didn't see the questions in advance- first our interviewer said each question in English, and then our translator presented it to Kawauchi and we recorded the response. Kawauchi asked for lots of clarification along the way, but we edited all of that out of the video

02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the record they didn't see the questions in advance- first our interviewer said each question in English, and then our translator presented it to Kawauchi and we recorded the response. Kawauchi asked for lots of clarification along the way, but we edited all of that out of the video
Most of his responses seemed to be thoughtful, the response to FF though made me laugh. It was like a bad liar trying to hide something.

When I was in sales i used to close sales to Asian women watching for that exact response. had about a 90% success rate in using that to read them. Hopefully he falls in that 90 %
02-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #141
Pentaxian

FWIW, I gained the impression that Kawauchi was most at ease when he answered questions about "FF" and "secrets". Maybe it is just the knowledge that under the auspices of Ricoh an FF body has become possible again, but there seems to be something.

I don't expect any FF announcements for this year as I have difficulty to imagine how Pentax, in the little time they had since Ricoh took over, would have been able to develop a marketable FF body. If this assumption has merit, then quite clearly we cannot expect any early announcements / encouragements. It wouldn't be in Pentax's interest to endanger some proportion of APS-C sales until they have an FF body ready.

For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Pentax will present a solid successor to the K-5 at Photokina. I'm hoping for a K-5 with improved AF (and improved QC).
02-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been up to this morning very doubtful about the possibility and the opportunity of a full frame camera, but this interview seems to point to something that IS in the work, and that Ricoh is not heading into full frame blindly and doomed like Sony with A 900 and especially A850. The accent on the "something different" seems to declare that it will be done not for the diehard Pentaxians, but to be able to sell to a bigger market (so that it will be rejected by most of the ones that right now are clamoring for Pentax full frame).

02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I have been up to this morning very doubtful about the possibility and the opportunity of a full frame camera, but this interview seems to point to something that IS in the work, and that Ricoh is not heading into full frame blindly and doomed like Sony with A 900 and especially A850. The accent on the "something different" seems to declare that it will be done not for the diehard Pentaxians, but to be able to sell to a bigger market (so that it will be rejected by most of the ones that right now are clamoring for Pentax full frame).
As was the K-01.
02-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The rumor is Nikon expects to produce 30,000 D800s per month.
Interesting number. That's 10% of their total SLR production.
And I hear that supply will remain short for the entire year. I heard a Nikon manager say that producing the D800 in a second factory would imply too many problems -- thinking about another production line...

Now, with 3000$, it will be actually more like 30% the turnover (calculating with a $1000 average body price). And it triggers a lot of lens sales, about half the sum from Nikonians and the same sum from people coming new to the brand.

All in all, it would mean that the D800 alone will create more than half of Nikon's profit in its first year alone. If the rumored number is correct.

In the head of Nikon beancounters, APSC must be a niche already
02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #145

Adam, Thanks for the interview. It was more informative than expected. As long as they produce unque products for photographers, than I'll be happy with Pentax. If I really need FF, then I'll buy a 2nd brand. Hopefully they do something with the 645D to compete with the D800E. That looks like an amazing camera! I wonder which one produces more useable detail for landscape photography?
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the interview Adam and all involved. Quite interesting.
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And I hear that supply will remain short for the entire year. I heard a Nikon manager say that producing the D800 in a second factory would imply too many problems -- thinking about another production line...

Now, with 3000$, it will be actually more like 30% the turnover (calculating with a $1000 average body price). And it triggers a lot of lens sales, about half the sum from Nikonians and the same sum from people coming new to the brand.

All in all, it would mean that the D800 alone will create more than half of Nikon's profit in its first year alone. If the rumored number is correct.

The number comes from a Sony rumor dealing with the number of 36MP sensors Sony has contracted to supply Nikon. Sony contract is for 30,000 sensors per month through 2012. With the APS-C crop mode the D800 is going to appeal to a large number of move-up buyers as well as existing D700 users. It is like have 2 cameras in one body. Move up buyers can use DX glass in APS-C mode until they can afford FX glass. After having only 12MP (other than the D3x) Nikon users seem to be really excited about a high MP camera.
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #148
Oog
Forum Member

Interesting to note at nikonrumors.com, the post that reveals the dealer costs for a D800 ($2699.96 vs MSRP $2995.95) and D800E ($2969.96 vs MSRP $3299.95). Nikon pockets $2700/$2970 minus production costs per D800/E. A camera store pockets a mere $300/$330 per sale....

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

02-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oog Quote
Interesting to note at nikonrumors.com, the post that reveals the dealer costs for a D800 ($2699.96 vs MSRP $2995.95) and D800E ($2969.96 vs MSRP $3299.95). Nikon pockets $2700/$2970 minus production costs per D800/E. A camera store pockets a mere $300/$330 per sale....
10% for a dealer selling a camera which sells by itself is still a good deal. It reinforces Nikon's conviction to now have a camera everybody always wanted.

12 x 2700$ * 30,000 is 1 billion $$.

Who was it who claimed FF is a niche not worth to invest into?

Just to remember, Ricoh purchased Pentax for a tiny fraction of this ...
02-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Nobody know if that 30,000 per month is a valid #