Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Are we getting all excited over nothing?
I don't get the sense of such revolutionary camera from comments by those under NDA like Richard or Lance B.

01-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I don't get the sense of such revolutionary camera from comments by those under NDA like Richard or Lance B.
I don't think it is excitement over nothing, it sounds like the researches already have cameras with the ability, probably just prototype, but I agree with earlier comments that it isn't something that will likely come out soon. There's always hoping though.
01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #18

Original Poster
Perhaps this technology will not be in a camera in 2008. Maybe, maybe not. After all, this was just a prediction from Adorama. And a prediction that it would come from Pentax.

But still, this technology is available to look into and this does seem like a Pentax-like innovation. They want to be innovative. It kinda fits in with the Pentax ad about Pentax being the little geek that always wins the technology fair.
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is the future — "computational photography". In the medium/far future, lenses as we know them will be gone and the sensor itself will contain nano-scale microlenses. You won't just focus after the fact but also select "aperture" and any other aspects of the lens you want to simulate, including things that are impossible with real lenses.

After all, a lens is a sort of analog computer, and anything that can be done with an analog computer can be approximated digitally.

01-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #20

Similar?

PopSci's How It Works - 100 Megapixel Camera
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If i get it right, with this "microlenses array" instead of a single lens in front of the sensor, there will be no more aperture to select, it will always have maximum light transmission. The Refocus website also says that you can select DOF after the shot.

Finally we'll be able to produce P&S images on a DSLR!
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattp9 Quote
I think that's a completely different approach. That reduces the resolution enormously. The Refocus technology records a single image, but with added information about the angle of incident light.

01-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Didn't someone say Nikon and Canon will both sh*t in their pants when the new Pentax cameras will come out. If this refocus technology is it, I'll make a lot of recent K10d and actually dslr buyers regret buying before the news in dubai or the other convention.
01-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to a 2005 article on dpreview regarding this technology. Note that despite use of a 16 Megapixel detector, the actual resolution is only 0.6 Megapixel.

Focusing after the shot, the plenoptic camera: Digital Photography Review
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mwah, ha ha....

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Come on, where are the nda peoples' comments so we can start inferring things?
brilliant freaking post, mate!

Cheers,
Cameron
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #26
Mef
Inactive Account

There was a video somewhere of a technology demonstration by Adobe on this thing ( maybe the video was not widespread because it was a french demonstration, thus in french language ). Adobe were presenting an hypothetic new function of a future photoshop ( it basically did the slide through different DOF, mix between "photos" to increase/decrease DOF - I add that it was also able to lighlty change the very composition of the scene (like a little 3D move on a side or the other)).

They had a prototype lens and DSLR ( no indication about the maker of the prototypes ). The lens was very, very, far from a normal lens.

If this is the future of photography, I'm really doubtfull that we'll see that kind of technology until a few years. And it is hard to believe it would be compatible with actual lenses ( at least, like it was said before, at a full MP resolution ).

(sorry for the bad english)
01-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Come on, where are the nda peoples' comments so we can start inferring things?
Okay,

If you search this forum within the last seven months or so, before NDA's were in effect, you will see that this phenomenon was already accidently... alluded to.

This is not new news really. It is simply that many a truth is said in jest and angst and that one must read more closely of the many attributes obliquely attributed to this camera in the past. The only thing is that they did not mention is the correct source of the sensor nor the size. But this technique was clearly stated... to me anyway

EDIT: This line saying "clearly stated... to me anyway" simply infers my understanding of the comments discussed in the thread and the comments of particular participants. It is not to be interpreted that anyone told me anything specific about any camera... at least on this forum.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 01-05-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: clarification of statement
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that despite use of a 16 Megapixel detector, the actual resolution is only 0.6 Megapixel.
So this is the major obstacle about this technology. I also wondered how much info they can record with a 14MP sensor - we are talking about 3 dimensional data here, and it would be exponentially larger than 2D data. As a niche product, possible; but the technology is not quite there yet for consumer acceptable resolution.
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #29

sensor

So this is the major obstacle about this technology. I also wondered how much info they can record with a 14MP sensor - we are talking about 3 dimensional data here, and it would be exponentially larger than 2D data. As a niche product, possible; but the technology is not quite there yet for consumer acceptable resolution.
I don't think we will be talking about a 14MP sensor using this technology, rather it will be a 31 MP sensor on the 645D. Besides I have to imagine they have updated the technology since 2 years ago

Pentax busts out Hasselbladian 31.6 megapixel 645 Digital - Engadget

Last edited by jscoby05; 01-04-2008 at 06:12 PM.
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I sent these links to the President of Pentax France and Europe...Thanks!

Ben