Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I sent these links to the President of Pentax France and Europe...Thanks!

Ben
Why?

Pentax has patent designs for this already...

01-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Why?

Pentax has patent designs for this already...
Well oooooooppppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssssssss then...I'll look like an idiot!

What else is new.
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Didn't someone say Nikon and Canon will both sh*t in their pants when the new Pentax cameras will come out. If this refocus technology is it, I'll make a lot of recent K10d and actually dslr buyers regret buying before the news in dubai or the other convention.
Nah -- it'll just reinforce that we made the right decision in going with Pentax.
01-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #34

Large memory cards?

This looks neat, but it seems to me that it would imply a need for much larger memory cards. Assuming that the ccd/cmos had say 10Mp, then capturing enough information to allow every possible focus point would seem to add a LOT of data that has to be saved somewhere. I get about 122 PEFs on a 2Gb card. What would I need with this feature? I also wonder what it might do to high speed capture.

01-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #35

You realise that if the new KxD doesn't have this feature, we'll all be really really disappointed no matter how good it otherwise is? (that, and racing stripes. If it doesn't have racing stripes then I, for one, will be disappointed)
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #36
Veteran Member

holy poop so cool just soooooo cool i would give up my apt and live in my car for that
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
This looks neat, but it seems to me that it would imply a need for much larger memory cards. Assuming that the ccd/cmos had say 10Mp, then capturing enough information to allow every possible focus point would seem to add a LOT of data that has to be saved somewhere. I get about 122 PEFs on a 2Gb card. What would I need with this feature? I also wonder what it might do to high speed capture.
Not necessarily a whole lot more data, but you'll need a whole lot of CPU to do the processing. In the far future, the sensor will be the front element, and you'll record the wavelength and angle of as many of the photons striking the sensor as possible, and then work back from there. Probably recording all in real-time, so you'll have a time dimension as well. Hitting the "shutter" will insert a tag into the stream indicating which will serve as a "bookmark" later -- if you find you missed the shot by a few milliseconds (or seconds, or minutes), no problem.

Will this be decried as the End of Photography? Probably, but hey, we're already a few feet down that road....

01-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
brilliant freaking post, mate!

Cheers,
Cameron
All I can do is smile! The NDA folks are conspicuously absent/quiet so far...
01-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Four words:

What's the bokeh like?
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Four words:

What's the bokeh like?
Whatever you want it to be like.

That's an aspect I hadn't consider. Man, that's gonna annoy people.
01-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #41
Veteran Member

A couple of observations, if I may:

1. On the off chance that this does come to pass and it is compatible with existing lenses....If you think in body SR drove the price of used Pentax glass up, just imagine what this will do.

2. As if we manual focus diehards didn't already feel like dinosaurs, now we're not only going to have the autofocus crowd, we're going to have the Alfred E. Neuman-ish "What? Me focus?" gang as well.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-05-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: dropped a word
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Wow...

This seems crazy. I'm sure it's something that goes on/off just like shake reduction and even more like RAW.

I, for one, might use it occasionally if it does become available, but it'd really have to prove itself to me for me to use it much.
01-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
A couple of observations, if I may:

1. On the off chance that this does to pass and it is compatible with existing lenses....If you think in body SR drove the price of used Pentax glass up, just imagine what this will do.

2. As if we manual focus diehards didn't already feel like dinosaurs, now we're not only going to have the autofocus crowd, we're going to have the Alfred E. Neuman-ish "What? Me focus?" gang as well.
Again, if this is real. Can you imagine using a 50 f1.4 at f1.4 in low light of a stage performance and being able to isolate focus on different aspects of the scene.
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The single image HDR would be revolutionized, that's for sure.
01-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Again, if this is real. Can you imagine using a 50 f1.4 at f1.4 in low light of a stage performance and being able to isolate focus on different aspects of the scene.
If things get too damned easy who or what are we going to have left to blame when we take crappy photos?

It's like I've always said about why I prefer fishing over hunting:

If you go hunting and don't get anything....you're just a crappy hunter. If you go fishing and don't catch anything....you just say "they weren't biting today" and, like the fish, you too are off the hook.

It's interesting to me how each generation keeps raising the bar on what is taken for granted. I'm not that old, but I remember when autofocus wasn't around yet. Today there are consumers who absolutely can not wrap their minds around the fact that there ever was a time when cameras had to be manually focused. Autofocus, liveview, 100% auto-exposure, video recording, and zoom lenses are something that a good-sized chunk of the population just naturally assumes every camera has.

I handed my K100D to a coworker one day and he held it at arm's length. He was wondering why he couldn't see anything in the LCD and I was wondering what the hell he was doing. Show people the camera with a manual focus prime lens attached and smoke comes out of their ears. Most of them think the focus ring is a zoom ring. Tell them that your camera doesn't record video and they give you a look that tells you what a chump they think you are for buying such a piece of junk.

I'm so tickled even by long-obsolete stuff partly because when I was a kid as far as I knew film all came in rectangular plastic cartridges and "camera" meant "Kodak Instamatic". That was the extent of the world of photography around me. I'm going back and playing with all the gee-whiz kewlness I missed out on the first time around.