Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kinda mutes the point of having an AF lens altogether unless the technology works like MTF does with certain lenses. Wow can you imagine the implications for sports shooters? Especially if Pentax give the new cam 5fps. If its true Canon really would be sh!tting themselves. I wonder though, how much of a price tag Hoya are willing to put on this?

01-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

It's interesting to me how each generation keeps raising the bar on what is taken for granted. I'm not that old, but I remember when autofocus wasn't around yet. Today there are consumers who absolutely can not wrap their minds around the fact that there ever was a time when cameras had to be manually focused. Autofocus, liveview, 100% auto-exposure, video recording, and zoom lenses are something that a good-sized chunk of the population just naturally assumes every camera has.
A lot of truth there Mike...remembering my enjoyment of composition with a Brownie box camera from waist level...
01-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #48
JMS

After reading the whitepaper, I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't want this technology. It's permanent, and reduces resolution to about 296x296- and that's on a 16MP medium format digital back! Sure, it can give you some cool tricks- like in camera T/S effects, and focus altering- but that's too much of a tradeoff for me.
01-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
After reading the whitepaper, I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't want this technology. It's permanent, and reduces resolution to about 296x296- and that's on a 16MP medium format digital back! Sure, it can give you some cool tricks- like in camera T/S effects, and focus altering- but that's too much of a tradeoff for me.
That's a specific implementation. I'd be really impressed if they can do amazing tricks with a normal 14mpix sensor without the corresponding massive resolution loss, but maybe this is something really special. Or, maybe it can't make such enormous corrections -- you may have to be sorta close to start.

01-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #50
Veteran Member

This has great potential for portraiture. If you could adjust the focus point by even 1 foot or 30cm would be highly advantageous.

The greatest hurdle will be the software implementation. Hope they have software for the Mac.
01-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #51
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
If this is for real, it could explain why someone claimed to witness a wedding shooter shooting with the supposed new pentax camera and never taking their eye off the camera. I mean, if you can always correct this much stuff after the fact, why stop shooting to chimp or correct on the fly. Just shoot away and adjust in software if anything isn't correct.

Sounds very interesting.
I don't buy that. Unless the Software job is done inside the camera itself. A very customizable firmware would do the trick. Otherwise I can't see the wedding guests wait for the photographer to tune each of a thousand photos to be delivered. And that photo journalist how can he rush the last minute photos to the news agency?

Last edited by Busiko; 01-06-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: changed last minute for last hour
01-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Actually you could have computer software re-focusing the shots by itself using contrast detection or any other technology, after you download the pics. Just run all your shots through it, in a few minutes it's ready. Then you make extra adjustments as necessary.