Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

CES in Vegas

http://ces081.expoexchange.com/ShowCES081/Default.aspx

Anyone can pay $200 & sign up as a person in the eletronics business and go to the Vegas CES 2008 show this coming week and check out what Pentax as going on .
I bet the new cameras will be there .

I went through the registration to the end , was easy , but , I don't mind waiting for the 24th .
I am hoping some one here will go , maybe some one here lives in the area of Vegas .
It's only $200 to see the show

01-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

A person could do that or....

A person could do that or....Go to PMA at the end of the month as I am planning on doing and have a much better chance of seeing the new camera line up. I can't imagine that Pentax would go through all the trouble of having a news conference in Dubai if they were going to spill the beans 3 days before. I would not be surprised though if they do have some of the new lenses on display including the DA* 200, DA* 300, and DA* 60-250. Those would be nice to see.
01-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jscoby05 Quote
A person could do that or....Go to PMA at the end of the month as I am planning on doing and have a much better chance of seeing the new camera line up. I can't imagine that Pentax would go through all the trouble of having a news conference in Dubai if they were going to spill the beans 3 days before. I would not be surprised though if they do have some of the new lenses on display including the DA* 200, DA* 300, and DA* 60-250. Those would be nice to see.
They could announce the lenses at CES and bodies at Dubai + roadmap or something like that...
01-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #4

do they have live coverage or will i be able to find videos of the events? maybe?

01-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will be there from Tuesday to Friday. I highly doubt Pentax will bring anything new there, maybe a lens but not the new camera body. I've been to CES for the past 4 years (except last year) and hardly any camera manufacture take that show seriously. Canon is the only camera manufacture that has a big display of there show room floor. Nikon does an okae job at it, but it is still small compared to Canon. The reason why Canon is big because they have there video camcorders to show off. Sony and Panasonic also have a really big show room floor but they dedicate only a small part of their for camera gear. Both of them will be concentrating on promoting there Blu-Ray product. Also most of the camera that they show off is their Point and Shoot camera.

I hope things will be a little different this year because the digital camera market has grown a lot in the past 4 years. Even last year was a big jump.
But I will report back on what I see at the show.

Also you don't have to pay $200 if you sign up in advance, it is free. But the hotels and air fair are really expensive though if you don't get the promo rate.

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 01-06-2008 at 09:23 AM.
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I will be there from Tuesday to Friday. I highly doubt Pentax will bring anything new there, maybe a lens but not the new camera body. .
You could be right, however Samsung did something interesting.

Samsung NV24HD

Samsung NV24HD : Samsung begins the CES 2008 event, held in Las Vegas en attended by LetsGoDigital’s Mark and Ilse, by introducing a range of new digital compact cameras. Samsung Cameras, leaders in innovation and digital imaging, is breaking new ground with the launch of its first HD digital camera. The Samsung NV24HD enjoys all the style and smart functionality of the rest of the NV range but boasts impressive high definition technology. The 10 Megapixel Samsung NV24 HD enables users to record high definition videos for super sharp movie quality recordings. The Samsung NV24HD High Definition Multimedia Interface and Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI) delivers crystal-clear images and movies via a single cable.
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jscoby05 Quote
At least they can put those lenses under glass. -- they must have the mockups that they have been hauling around for a year or two :-(((((
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax will be in South Hall 3

According to CES they will be showing ...

PENTAX K Series digital SLRs; PENTAX Optio compact digital cameras; PENTAX PocketJet, PENTAX RuggedJet, and PENTAX DSmobile printers and scanners.

Product Offerings

# Computer Hardware and Software - Scanners
# Computer Hardware and Software - Scanners - USB-based Scanners
# Digital Imaging and Video Editing
# Digital Imaging and Video Editing - Digital Imaging and Video Editing Peripherals
# Digital Imaging and Video Editing - Digital Imaging and Video Editing Peripherals - Scanners
# Digital Imaging and Video Editing - Digital Video Capture Devices
# Digital Imaging and Video Editing - Digital Video Capture Devices - Digital Still Cameras
# Mobile Office
# Mobile Office - Bluetooth Hardware
# Mobile Office - Bluetooth Hardware - Other Bluetooth Hardware
# Mobile Office - Portable Printers
# Mobile Office - Other Mobile Office Equipment
# Mobile and Vehicle Electronics
# Mobile and Vehicle Electronics - Other Mobile and Vehicle Electronics Products
# Photographic Equipment
# Photographic Equipment - Digital Camera Accessories
# Photographic Equipment - Digital Cameras
# Photographic Equipment - Other Photographic Equipment

01-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One of K200D's competitor - A200 announced

One of Sony's CES launch - the Sony's A200 details is now known.
Interestingly, it takes the exact same approach as Pentax.

Basically, A200 is A100 put under a new skin and a few modification + battery grip. And it is very similar to K200D in terms of specs and features. We'll see how close their pricing would be.
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I will be there from Tuesday to Friday. I highly doubt Pentax will bring anything new there, maybe a lens but not the new camera body. I've been to CES for the past 4 years (except last year) and hardly any camera manufacture take that show seriously. Canon is the only camera manufacture that has a big display of there show room floor. Nikon does an okae job at it, but it is still small compared to Canon. The reason why Canon is big because they have there video camcorders to show off. Sony and Panasonic also have a really big show room floor but they dedicate only a small part of their for camera gear. Both of them will be concentrating on promoting there Blu-Ray product. Also most of the camera that they show off is their Point and Shoot camera.

I hope things will be a little different this year because the digital camera market has grown a lot in the past 4 years. Even last year was a big jump.
But I will report back on what I see at the show.

Also you don't have to pay $200 if you sign up in advance, it is free. But the hotels and air fair are really expensive though if you don't get the promo rate.
Agreed. The CES is usually angled more for videographers than photographers. At least DSLRs don't get introduced there.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
At least they can put those lenses under glass. -- they must have the mockups that they have been hauling around for a year or two :-(((((
Sorry, that hauling around for a year or two cracked me up.

It would be nice if they had the new lenses fully functional and available to be tested, but maybe it's better if they saved that for PMA.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
One of Sony's CES launch - the Sony's A200 details is now known.
Interestingly, it takes the exact same approach as Pentax.

Basically, A200 is A100 put under a new skin and a few modification + battery grip. And it is very similar to K200D in terms of specs and features. We'll see how close their pricing would be.
If the K200D comes out with weather sealing, then we have a winner.

I still can't believe they put that curving 10.2 megapixels label. If I had an A200, I'd probably take some time to either scrape that off, put electrical tape on it, or rub it out with a Sharpie.
01-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I still can't believe they put that curving 10.2 megapixels label. If I had an A200, I'd probably take some time to either scrape that off, put electrical tape on it, or rub it out with a Sharpie.
I can't believe it either
That's why when the photos were first leaked, everyone was crying "FAKE"! And it turned out to be genuine afterall!
01-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of going I'll just be checking here every day...
CES 2008 - infoSync World

01-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's why when the photos were first leaked, everyone was crying "FAKE"! And it turned out to be genuine afterall!
Hey, it's a Sony ...
01-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hey, it's a Sony ...
Well, the specs are out. Nothing much to write home about. Pentax can beat Sony in this segment if they can get the K10D functionality in the K200D (including the seals) plus a bit more tweaking in limiting noise from the famed Sony 10.2 MP sensor.

Of course, that's assuming the K200D will be priced $700 MSRP also.

Good times for all photographers and those who wanna do photography or move up from film/digicams. That $700 MSRP can very well become $600 or so when it goes down to street prices. Pentax, Nikon, and Canon will also have their own ~$600 street offerings. Olympus already have theirs.
01-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Since there hasn't seemed to be any news yet about the new cameras is it safe to assume Pentax isn't showing them off at CES? I would have guessed there would be some news by now if they were.