Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
Actually this upgrade is fixing issues with SDXC cards, not SDHC. This is a welcome fix for me because I used to get image corruptions after deleting RAW images in camera using a 64GB card.

Probably only impacted a few of us but very welcome none the less.
SDXC and SDHC is all the same

03-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Yep it's true.

PK_Tether 0.6.4 (latest) doesn't work with the K-X anymore after the 1.03 firmware upgrade. Going back to firmware 1.02 doesn't remedy the problem. However, using an older version of PK_Tether (0.4.5) still works with the K-X after the upgrade.

A benefit of using the latest PK_Tether (0.6.4) is to have access to the DEBUG mode, but unfortunately that's been disabled, in fact, the launching PK_Tether causes an error.

Had a bunch of AF lens that were helped from some FF/BF fine tuning and now that's not possible.

(Really angry gal)
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I updated my K-5 to 1.13, and PK_Tether 0.6 still works. Have not downloaded or tried 0.6.4 yet.

Edit: Downloaded 0.6.4 and it's working. Have not tried debug mode though (and not interested).
03-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Hey! Problem solved! I tried upgrading to firmware 1.03 again then did a reset and now the DEBUG mode works again!!

03-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The firmware cannot be saved "as usual"

I've tried dowloading the firmware(s) both from the links provided here and from those at Pentax Canada ... instead of being "saved" (as it usually does) the file wants to install itself, so the computer displays a warning about the file being "uncommonly downloaded" ??? and that "it can harm your computer".

I've tried a few times but I always get the same response from the computer; it just won't save.

Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks,

JP

More Pentax news at: New DSLR Firmware Released (v1.13/12/03) - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This must be a new thing after a Windows update (automatic) because it now asks/warns that a specific software is trying to get dowloaded and, because it is "uncommonly dowloaded" (by other users on the Web), should not be used !!
This is the first time I receive such a warning ever since I've downloaded firmwares from Pentax, circa K10D !

Anyway I have these now on my desktop:

FWDC209B.BIN (and a Readme file) for the K5 - 10,752 KB

and

FWDC204B.BIN (and a Readme file) for the K7 - 10,752 KB

So, I suppose this is all of "it" for both cameras.

JP

Last edited by Bramela; 03-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #37

I have had a K-x for about 18 months now and have always been afraid of updating the firmware incase I 'bricked' it. Tonight I 'bit the bullet' and tackled it. First of all I charged up a set of batteries to ensure the camera would not shut down during the update. When I downloaded the file from Pentax I asked it to open it which produced a response from windows 7 that it could not run the program (after warning me that it could harm my computer). I ditched this file into the recycle bin.

Downloading it again I saved it to my Desktop. Right Clicked the icon and opened the file which produced two files on my desktop.....the Read Me File and the BIN file.

I then formatted an SD card in the CAMERA, removed it and inserted it into the SD card slot on the computer.

The next step was to open the SD drive on the computer whcih showed the DCIM folder on the SD Card. Then drag the BIN file from the Desktop into this folder to copy it to the SD drive (NOT into the DCIM folder). The end result is an SD Drive folder with two icons on it....the DCIM folder and the BIN File.

Remove the SD Card from the computer and with the camera switched off insert the card into the camera. Switch on the camera whilst holding the MENU button and follow the instructions on the LCD screen of the camera as per Read ME Instructions. Much easier than I thought it would be.

I cant comment as to what it has done to the functions of the camera, but it appears to be ok.

I know many of you are very knowledgeable on this forum, but I thought I'd impart my experience as a completely inexperienced and wary amateur to updating the firmware for the first time

03-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Someone asked this earlier in the thread but I didn't see anyone answer.

Does anyone know if you have to do each firmware upgrade, or is the latest all inclusive?
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #39
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The latest should be all inclusive.
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This must be a new thing after a Windows update (automatic) because it now asks/warns that a specific software is trying to get dowloaded and, because it is "uncommonly dowloaded" (by other users on the Web), should not be used !!
This is the first time I receive such a warning ever since I've downloaded firmwares from Pentax, circa K10D !

Anyway I have these now on my desktop:

FWDC209B.BIN (and a Readme file) for the K5 - 10,752 KB

and

FWDC204B.BIN (and a Readme file) for the K7 - 10,752 KB

So, I suppose this is all of "it" for both cameras.

JP
Did you download the Windows option the EXE file?

Next time just download the Mac version, it's a zip file and much easier to handle and it should not give you a warning.

Another good thing is that if you unpack the zip it gives you an warning when it's missing something so that means you didn't download it all.
If it doesn't give you a warning then it's all fine.
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k2112S Quote
Someone asked this earlier in the thread but I didn't see anyone answer.

Does anyone know if you have to do each firmware upgrade, or is the latest all inclusive?
Firmware isn't really an upgrade but more a replacement.
So instead of adding the new parts you actually replace everything that means you just need to download the llatest version.
03-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Is that the DCIM folder? Please excuse my ignorance I have upgraded the firmware on many devices over the years but have not come across these terms before.
No, the DCIM folder is itself in the root directory, but if you put the upgrade file in that folder, the upgrade file will not be in the root directory.
03-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Having a lens attached to the body when doing firmware upgrade does not mess up the firmware upgrade. No issues with lens on body.
No issues with upgrading the camera without a lens attached either.
03-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

Yes, it came with some recent Win 7 update. It's the newest in dysfunctional Windows security software, it's really a PITA (It's hit a program I make too, so Microsoft has already stolen a few hours of my life that I had to spend on telephone support).
03-02-2012, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes, it came with some recent Win 7 update. It's the newest in dysfunctional Windows security software, it's really a PITA (It's hit a program I make too, so Microsoft has already stolen a few hours of my life that I had to spend on telephone support).
I have learned from this many years ago.

Now I have automatic updates turned off and when I am ready to do an update I always, always make a spare Clone of the prime HDD first. This way I can swap the cloned HDD back into the machine if anything has gone "KAPUTT". I use removable HDD trays for this to make it easy.

Greetings