Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New firmware: v1.13 for K-5/645D, v.1.12 for K-7/K-r, v1.03 for K-x

Pentax has just posted new firmware versions for their 5 most recent DSLRs (i.e. all those that support SDXC card) in order to fix some stability issues when using those cards.

Download links and installation instructions found on our homepage:
New DSLR Firmware Released - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Would love to update my K-5 but don't understand the root file or weather I should format a sd card with my Mac or in the camera and after I unzip the file the bin file appears to be zipped yet I cannot unzip it. Please Help!!
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Would love to update my K-5 but don't understand the root file or weather I should format a sd card with my Mac or in the camera and after I unzip the file the bin file appears to be zipped yet I cannot unzip it. Please Help!!
Just place the unzipped bin file in the root of the SD card and boot your camera whilst holding the menu button. The rest is following onscreen instructions.

Please use a fully charged battery.

I would have thought the sdhc compatiblity was already fixed firware version ago. Hard to not think of hidden fixes.
03-01-2012, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Actually, it's nice to see Pentax continue to fine tune the existing firmware's, no matter what reason they give

03-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Just place the unzipped bin file in the root of the SD card and boot your camera whilst holding the menu button. The rest is following onscreen instructions.

Please use a fully charged battery.

I would have thought the sdhc compatiblity was already fixed firware version ago. Hard to not think of hidden fixes.
Thanks but not sure what the root of the SD card is.
My camera has version 1.01 firmware.
03-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The root of a drive is the first place you arrive when you click and open the drive. For example C:\ is the root of my C-drive.
03-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The root of your sd card is the first place you can put files and not inside a folder.

For example.. if your on the computer and insert your card it showed as an F drive your root would the first place you seen when youyou open the drive. (F

03-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Given that I don't think I've ever seen a thread about firmware updates without some version of this question being asked, it would probably be a good idea to include a good answer to it in any announcements.
03-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Actually this upgrade is fixing issues with SDXC cards, not SDHC. This is a welcome fix for me because I used to get image corruptions after deleting RAW images in camera using a 64GB card.

Probably only impacted a few of us but very welcome none the less.
03-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
The root of your sd card is the first place you can put files and not inside a folder.

For example.. if your on the computer and insert your card it showed as an F drive your root would the first place you seen when youyou open the drive. (F
Is that the DCIM folder? Please excuse my ignorance I have upgraded the firmware on many devices over the years but have not come across these terms before.
03-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Banned

Great, working on it as we speak.
03-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #12

Can be anything else for K-x in this update other than SDXC? Anybody did the update and can say if there's something else to it other than SDXC? I don't use this type of card, so i don't want to update unless there are some cookies
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Is that the DCIM folder? Please excuse my ignorance I have upgraded the firmware on many devices over the years but have not come across these terms before.
If you're in the DCIM folder, then go one folder up. That's the root of your SD card.

Don't worry though. If you still place the file in the wrong folder, it just won't give you the option to upgrade the firmware. In other words, you can't mess the firmware upgrade up by placing the file in the wrong folder.

Using a half empty battery can mess things up though. And keeping a lens attached might too. But I have never seen that confirmed though. Best to not take any changes.
03-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
Forum Member

Thanks all update done!
03-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Can be anything else for K-x in this update other than SDXC? Anybody did the update and can say if there's something else to it other than SDXC? I don't use this type of card, so i don't want to update unless there are some cookies
I always update, who knows, perhaps my K-x will change into a K-5 overnight