Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,275
New firmware: v1.13 for K-5/645D, v.1.12 for K-7/K-r, v1.03 for K-x

Pentax has just posted new firmware versions for their 5 most recent DSLRs (i.e. all those that support SDXC card) in order to fix some stability issues when using those cards.

Download links and installation instructions found on our homepage:
New DSLR Firmware Released - PentaxForums.com


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
Would love to update my K-5 but don't understand the root file or weather I should format a sd card with my Mac or in the camera and after I unzip the file the bin file appears to be zipped yet I cannot unzip it. Please Help!!
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Would love to update my K-5 but don't understand the root file or weather I should format a sd card with my Mac or in the camera and after I unzip the file the bin file appears to be zipped yet I cannot unzip it. Please Help!!
Just place the unzipped bin file in the root of the SD card and boot your camera whilst holding the menu button. The rest is following onscreen instructions.

Please use a fully charged battery.

I would have thought the sdhc compatiblity was already fixed firware version ago. Hard to not think of hidden fixes.
03-01-2012, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Actually, it's nice to see Pentax continue to fine tune the existing firmware's, no matter what reason they give

03-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Just place the unzipped bin file in the root of the SD card and boot your camera whilst holding the menu button. The rest is following onscreen instructions.

Please use a fully charged battery.

I would have thought the sdhc compatiblity was already fixed firware version ago. Hard to not think of hidden fixes.
Thanks but not sure what the root of the SD card is.
My camera has version 1.01 firmware.
03-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Thanks but not sure what the root of the SD card is.
My camera has version 1.01 firmware.
The root of a drive is the first place you arrive when you click and open the drive. For example C:\ is the root of my C-drive.
03-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Thanks but not sure what the root of the SD card is.
My camera has version 1.01 firmware.
The root of your sd card is the first place you can put files and not inside a folder.

For example.. if your on the computer and insert your card it showed as an F drive your root would the first place you seen when youyou open the drive. (F
03-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
Given that I don't think I've ever seen a thread about firmware updates without some version of this question being asked, it would probably be a good idea to include a good answer to it in any announcements.

03-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
Kennod's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 126
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I would have thought the sdhc compatiblity was already fixed firware version ago. Hard to not think of hidden fixes.
Actually this upgrade is fixing issues with SDXC cards, not SDHC. This is a welcome fix for me because I used to get image corruptions after deleting RAW images in camera using a 64GB card.

Probably only impacted a few of us but very welcome none the less.
03-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
QuoteOriginally posted by Usuqa Quote
The root of your sd card is the first place you can put files and not inside a folder.

For example.. if your on the computer and insert your card it showed as an F drive your root would the first place you seen when youyou open the drive. (F
Is that the DCIM folder? Please excuse my ignorance I have upgraded the firmware on many devices over the years but have not come across these terms before.
03-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Great, working on it as we speak.
03-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Botosani
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 271
Can be anything else for K-x in this update other than SDXC? Anybody did the update and can say if there's something else to it other than SDXC? I don't use this type of card, so i don't want to update unless there are some cookies
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Is that the DCIM folder? Please excuse my ignorance I have upgraded the firmware on many devices over the years but have not come across these terms before.
If you're in the DCIM folder, then go one folder up. That's the root of your SD card.

Don't worry though. If you still place the file in the wrong folder, it just won't give you the option to upgrade the firmware. In other words, you can't mess the firmware upgrade up by placing the file in the wrong folder.

Using a half empty battery can mess things up though. And keeping a lens attached might too. But I have never seen that confirmed though. Best to not take any changes.
03-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Outer East
Photos: Albums
Posts: 94
Thanks all update done!
03-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Can be anything else for K-x in this update other than SDXC? Anybody did the update and can say if there's something else to it other than SDXC? I don't use this type of card, so i don't want to update unless there are some cookies
I always update, who knows, perhaps my K-x will change into a K-5 overnight
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
firmware, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In case you did not know, 645D Firmware 1.11 is available Yamanobori Pentax Medium Format 0 09-07-2011 07:31 PM
645D firmware 1.11 released Yamanobori Pentax Medium Format 0 07-13-2011 08:30 PM
645D pixel mapping, pre & post V1.02 firmware update observation mikeyscope Pentax Medium Format 2 05-25-2011 01:39 AM
New 645D firmware Shuttershane Pentax Medium Format 11 01-17-2011 02:42 PM
New Firmware Officially Posted (1.02 K-5, 1.01 K-r and 645D) nixcamic Pentax News and Rumors 9 01-05-2011 08:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top