Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They'll net $1,000,000 on 1500 units. That's 1% of what Ricoh paid for Pentax in dollars.
So next month we might see the Gold version for $2,500 and then a month after that the Platinum edition for $3,500. And further down the track the diamond coated version @ $25,000. Sounds like a plan I suppose.

03-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
But I'm underwhelmed and if they don't make some announcement re' a FF within a few months I will look elsewhere. And please spare me the "don't let the door hit you on your way out" type comments.
Well that FA 31mm Ltd that you have, wich colour is it?

But seriously, yes it is one way to attracked attention with K-5 for the third time without spending to much on either R&D nor advertisement.
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #63
Pentaxian

The FA31 LTD I have is black.. I did have a silver one but it had excessive lens wobble and they swapped it for the black. I was hell bent on a silver one but this was the last one in stock in Australia at the time. So what's your point Ron?
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #64
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An easy6 $1,000,000

So next month we might see the Gold version for $2,500 and then a month after that the Platinum edition for $3,500. And further down the track the diamond coated version @ $25,000. Sounds like a plan I suppose.
Well how many Limited Edition LX'es were there?
  • LX Gold
  • LX Titan
  • LX 2000
Pentax has released limited runs of bodies and lenses since at least the Spotmatic days. The Silver ones have gone on since at least the MZ-s, if not earlier. Easy $1,000,000 bucks.

I agree its a pretty fine line between Special Edition (although there have been several SE releases) and Limited Edition. I believe the rpevious silver K-5 was an SE. This one is an LE.

03-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Yeah, I realize that and that. But maybe they should have been more concerned with innovation and market share instead of window dressing.
03-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FA31 LTD I have is black.. I did have a silver one but it had excessive lens wobble and they swapped it for the black. I was hell bent on a silver one but this was the last one in stock in Australia at the time. So what's your point Ron?
O that is a shame. My point was that when you leave our building, just send me that Silver 31mm lens

Just kidding. I would want something new too. But honestly with the takeover I realize that it takes time. I rather have a good next camera, then one that is fast out of R&D. A few new things added, next to shiny blingbling would be nice (AF, faster processing, APS-H, metering and AWB, double cardslot and still small).
03-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Revolving Doors can be fun but can whack you in the ass!

I didn't say I was leaving the building.. I only said I would look for an alternative FF. The door I mentioned might only have been to another room or the same one!
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #68
Lens Buying Addict

Yeah, I realize that and that. But maybe they should have been more concerned with innovation and market share instead of window dressing.
No argument from me, but a million bucks is a million bucks is 1% of what Ricoh paid just 5 months ago. There must be 1500 collectors in Japan alone who will buy this even if they have the other two K-5's. Maybe the million bucks will hire 5 engineers for a year or two.

03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #69
Veteran Member

No argument from me, but a million bucks is a million bucks is 1% of what Ricoh paid just 5 months ago. There must be 1500 collectors in Japan alone who will buy this even if they have the other two K-5's. Maybe the million bucks will hire 5 engineers for a year or two.
I agree. As Pentaxians, we should celebrate these special or limited editions. It's Pentax tradition.

Ricoh is showing it's money over the last month or two and I'm pretty excited for the future, FF or not.
03-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #70
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
I agree. As Pentaxians, we should celebrate these special or limited editions. It's Pentax tradition.

Ricoh is showing it's money over the last month or two and I'm pretty excited for the future, FF or not.
Read my sig!
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Read my sig!
I used to think that 1953-2013 was your lifespan but I gather you aren't intending to die next year so that has to be Pentax instead. Well, their anniversary at least.. not the year they actually close shop.
03-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Read my sig!
Ha! I didn't notice that. I was posting from tapatalk on my phone, where I can't see sigs!
03-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It means new DSLR will come soon...
Heard end of march, but for what cam, I have no idea.
03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Nice, someone should document this so in the future people know there are 3 versions of K5 (black, limited silver w/ special grip, and limited silver w/normal grip + silver DX 40mm).

Love the color, but as someone said before, modern camera really doesn't have the value as those old film cameras. Electronics don't last long. =(
I would like Pentax to have both black and silver version at launch of the product - I bet they will sell more than label it as limited and sell it half year after the black version released.
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #75
Lens Buying Addict

I used to think that 1953-2013 was your lifespan but I gather you aren't intending to die next year so that has to be Pentax instead. Well, their anniversary at least.. not the year they actually close shop.
The Asahiflex, the first SLR, was introduced May, 1952. May 1953 will be the 60th ANNIVERSARY of its introduction (yes, it will be 61 years in existence, but 60th "Birthday"). LX = 60 in Roman Numerals, as we know from the analog version, denoting the 60th Anniversary of Asahi Optical Co.

Ergo my sig predicts an LX-D will be released during the first half of 2013. My prediction, based on nothing more than a feeling and a broad reading of many subjects, is that new body will be a unique body with a sensor larger than APSc. The idea is part of my general belief that Ricoh has a long term plan to build the Pentax brand; they will start implementing their plan around Photokina late this summer. Sometimes I refer to the Plan as Shock and Awe.

Member Asahiflex has come to the same conclusion at around the same time. He suggests the "unique" feature will be interchangeable viewfinders.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-06-2012 at 06:12 PM.