Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
as nice as this seems, they have just diminished the value of the "Limited" edition by releasing it twice!!!

They sold 1500 Silver units last year, at a premium price because there were only going to be 1500.
+1

QuoteQuote:
The new Limited K-5 Silver looks like the standard K-5 (black) grip... The chunkier grip on last years K-5 Limited is better
I agree. The grip, however, can easily be exchanged (price: about 60 €). The SR logo also could be different. But these differences are too small to the original K-5 Silver body. Thus, they broke their promise to limit the number of silver K-5 bodies to 1500 units.

03-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I suppose this K5 will have Ricoh branding on the bottom.
It should be the name of the manufacturer, i.e. Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company. Ltd - instead of Hoya Corporation.
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arrrrrgggghhh. There's always somebody who will complain about everything.
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Once upon a time, somebody saw a silver sports car. Although the black version was much cheaper, he was interested. The manufacturer promised that only 100 units would be sold of this special version, which also included silver wipers. So, somebody happily agreed to the more pricey offer and even ordered two cars.

However, one year later, another 100 units of the silver sports car were sold. The car now only had black wipers but additionally featured a silver steering wheel. Everything else was the same.

Somebody feeled deceived. Arrrrrgggghhh, didn't they promise to sell only 100 silver units? Somebody thought he should at least get two silver steering wheels for free. He did never believe in promises from this car manufacturer anymore.

03-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #50

This is my opportunity to get a Silver K-5. Could somebody loan me $1600?
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Once upon a time, somebody saw a silver sports car. Although the black version was much cheaper, he was interested. The manufacturer promised that only 100 units would be sold of this special version, which also included silver wipers. So, somebody happily agreed to the more pricey offer and even ordered two cars.

However, one year later, another 100 units of the silver sports car were sold. The car now only had black wipers but additionally featured a silver steering wheel. Everything else was the same.

Somebody feeled deceived. Arrrrrgggghhh, didn't they promise to sell only 100 silver units? Somebody thought he should at least get two silver steering wheels for free. He did never believe in promises from this car manufacturer anymore.

I suppose a promise is a promise, and I guess it does devalue the resale of the silvers for those who sell in the short term. Long term I don't see any modern camera ending up as a collector's item.
03-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Well this one is a Special Edition not a Limited Edition. Does not have the better grip of the Limited, likely does not have the improved glass for back/top LCD as the Limited, Silver SR logo, etc

This new one is a Silver K-5 that is likely same as the black except silver and with a matching lens, whereas the Limited Silver had a few extra external features

No need for ppl to get their panties in a bunch

03-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Arrrrrgggghhh. There's always somebody who will complain about everything.
I heard a rumor that Pentax was going to release a FF Silver Edition with 3 Limited lenses for $7 including shipping but that too many people complained so they scrapped the idea.
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The focusing screen is different on the Silver K-7? How much better is it?
It's just the grid that is different....but I really like it.
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever.
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would prefer a DA40 bigger enough to include a depth of field scale. Remember those?
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I would prefer a DA40 bigger enough to include a depth of field scale. Remember those?
That old big lens?

I personally use my K-5 Silver as often as my other K-5 (regular). Camera's should be for using I think. And I love the looks of my Silver baby, but don't jump on this ship. I'll wait for K-3 Silver Limited.
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I wonder what the extra tooling for this involves. Is it just a different finish? Pentax seem to enjoy playing around like this more than most camera manufacturers. Perhaps they have a few exec's with too much time on their hands. But at least these types of runs keep people noticing them, albeit perhaps not for the right reasons.

But I'm underwhelmed and if they don't make some announcement re' a FF within a few months I will look elsewhere. And please spare me the "don't let the door hit you on your way out" type comments.
03-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
a promise is a promise
...is a promise. Unfortunately, this seems not to be the case. I do not want to sell my K-5 Silver "Limiteds". Neither do I keep them as collector's items. Nevertheless, I paid definitely more for them then for normal black versions. I justified this, because they were limited in available numbers, which is no longer true.
QuoteQuote:
I heard a rumor that Pentax was going to release a FF Silver Edition with 3 Limited lenses for $7 including shipping
No need for lenses, just reserve several FF bodies for me!
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I wonder what the extra tooling for this involves. Is it just a different finish? Pentax seem to enjoy playing around like this more than most camera manufacturers. Perhaps they have a few exec's with too much time on their hands. But at least these types of runs keep people noticing them, albeit perhaps not for the right reasons.

But I'm underwhelmed and if they don't make some announcement re' a FF within a few months I will look elsewhere. And please spare me the "don't let the door hit you on your way out" type comments.
They'll net $1,000,000 on 1500 units. That's 1% of what Ricoh paid for all of Pentax.