Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H typically is one of the more higher priced stores to buy from! There are far cheaper, and far more reputable stores out there to deal with.

B&H likes to raise prices high when they know there will be a rush on things! They did it with Pentax accessories and then when the rush on lenses started they raised all of their Pentax lens prices (3rd party makers included and even the used stuff as well). A bit greedy, IMHO.

01-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Quote
shouldn't the K10D even go lower now that everyone knows that new dslr is about to be release and everyone is holding out for it?
Its not a direct competitor. For most who bought the K10D, it was a stretch for them at $800-$900 for the body (even less now). The new camera, they believe, deserves to be priced at closer to $1400. Aimed at different, more "financially unbothered" people.

Last edited by mutley; 01-06-2008 at 11:57 PM.
01-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The price adjustment could also be due to the weakening US$.
Well, we have another year of this idiot Bush, so as intended, higher prices won't affect wealthy lifestyles, and it will continue to weaken.
01-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regken, it is my job to order Pentax where I work. Never received the last batch of K100D supers. Ordered around end of Nov. They won't even take any dslr orders now. Unfortunately the new cameras may not be available until mar.
thanks
barondla

01-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldevo Quote
B&H typically is one of the more higher priced stores to buy from! There are far cheaper, and far more reputable stores out there to deal with.
Looking back over my 33 years + experience with B&H I would have to say there many stores that will quote a cheaper price but none that are more reputable.
01-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
Pentaxian

K10D Production

If the K10D and the K100D Super are truly out of production, it can only mean that the K20D and K200D are already being built.

This is a good thing and probably means that we WON'T have to wait months and months after the announcement before we see them in the stores. I find it very hard to believe that Pentax, especially with the new financial backing of Hoya, would allow the pipeline to run completely dry.

With the critical and sales success of the K10D, I'm sure that they want to capitalize on that and use it to make the K10D and K200D even more successful. They can't accomplish that by allowing a prolonged period in which no Pentax cameras are available for purchase.

As I said, if the K10D and K100D-S are really no longer being produced, I am optimistic that it means that the new cameras will be available almost immediately after the announcement.

Paul Noble
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You need to think of things in terms of 'individual cameras' and not what's new.. Folks really like the K10D and even though a new model may come out, that doesn't mean the K10D is any less of a camera, and to many, it's the camera they'll use for a VERY long time to come. Reminds me of the *istD - Try buying one of those things today - even used they cost a small fortune and look how old they are.. It's because people like THAT camera.
01-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is pathetic

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Regken, it is my job to order Pentax where I work. Never received the last batch of K100D supers. Ordered around end of Nov. They won't even take any dslr orders now. Unfortunately the new cameras may not be available until mar.
thanks
barondla
That is truly pathetic management. I hope somebody with a little authority at Pentax reads this thread. Heads should roll over treating a distributor like that. I know it's not your job to contact a manufacturer and tell them what poor service you are getting but if you are a Pentax user you may want to consider going that extra mile and contact Ned directly and tell him about the terrible communication you get from them.

As a 35 year veteran in the distribution business I know I'd appreciate a call from someone that has been treated as shabbily as you have.

Regards,

Ken

01-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Reading these posts brings to mind the fable of the Blind Men Describing an Elephant ...

John Godfrey Saxe's ( 1816-1887) version of the famous Indian legend,

It was six men of Indostan,
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approach'd the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, -"Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear,
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approach'd the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," -quoth he- "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee:
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," -quoth he,-
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said- "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Then, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," -quoth he,- "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL,

So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean;
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I just looked at B&H and they also had a new *ist DL body only for $439.00?
01-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
That is truly pathetic management. I hope somebody with a little authority at Pentax reads this thread. Heads should roll over treating a distributor like that. I know it's not your job to contact a manufacturer and tell them what poor service you are getting but if you are a Pentax user you may want to consider going that extra mile and contact Ned directly and tell him about the terrible communication you get from them.

As a 35 year veteran in the distribution business I know I'd appreciate a call from someone that has been treated as shabbily as you have.

Regards,

Ken
Well I'm going talk about this post and the one that led to it.

First, the knowledge of the K10D's and K100D supers being sold out was supposed to be kept on the down low and I hope that no more leaks of this get out. Barondla's sales rep was supposed to have told him not to tell anyone as this could lead to an even higher than expected sales rush seeing as this will be the last chance to get a K10D or K100D super.

Second, Pentax USA will take DSLR orders if you ask your sales rep properly. He can easily readjust stock from other stores and have them sent to your store. Pentax cannot take any new orders of either camera because there are none to be had so they have all the right not to accept an order through the standard channels.

Lastly, the reason the cameras have sold out was because Pentax estimated the holiday sales at about a 200% increase and got a few huge orders that took the entire US stock. Ritz being one, and a few smaller stores did mass ordering right before the holiday season that sent Pentax USA in a rush to get more bodies. Stores like the one I work at got every piece ordered throughout the holiday season and our sales rep gave us a body for body count of how many we could order and checked with our stock constantly. I just believe the sales rep he has is poor in his job compared to the one we have.

The big Pentax stores that received all the bodies before this whole mess happened was Creve Creuer in St louis, Mikes in Boulder, Daves in Seattle, and our store (Camera Craft) not too mention Ritz ordering a few thousand here and there. Pentax honestly did the right thing and again they unfortunately didn't know the demand for their own product was so great.

Pentax has been manufacturing the new bodies for some time now, but they will not hit the sales market until March at the earliest. They are doing extensive testing and revamping their manufacturing end to meet demand this time. They are so small that it's not easy to transition and it'll take them a few tries to get it right. The good news though is the new bodies do rock and we will soon see the official specs and enjoy the wait for the pre-summer release.
01-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I actually get good communication from Pentax. They are the ones who told me not to order anymore K10D/K100D supers. There aren't any in their warehouse. They will actually facilitate stock shipment from one dealer to another (if another dealer has too many bodies). They seriously underestimated the demand for the cameras. Ritz scooped up a bunch too. Factories are being/have already been switched over for new cameras. Not sure they can move that up much sooner. Got a fair supply from other dist.
Rep said K10D grip probably won't fit new camera. Wrong contours on body. I have no beef with Pentax. They treat me well.
thanks
barondla
01-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #28

I guess this means getting a K200D or equvilant of is out of the question for next month?
01-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I actually get good communication from Pentax. They are the ones who told me not to order anymore K10D/K100D supers. There aren't any in their warehouse. They will actually facilitate stock shipment from one dealer to another (if another dealer has too many bodies). They seriously underestimated the demand for the cameras. Ritz scooped up a bunch too. Factories are being/have already been switched over for new cameras. Not sure they can move that up much sooner. Got a fair supply from other dist.
Rep said K10D grip probably won't fit new camera. Wrong contours on body. I have no beef with Pentax. They treat me well.
thanks
barondla
Oh it's more than that I'm happy to say.
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
And it's not a little price increase either, $100. B & H was the first online seller that stopped selling the K100D when the super became available. This big a price jump could mean two different things.
I really don`t know the reason for the increase but that`s strange, here in Vancouver, BC, I can get it for as little as $617, body only.