Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Pentax honestly did the right thing and again they unfortunately didn't know the demand for their own product was so great.

Pentax has been manufacturing the new bodies for some time now, but they will not hit the sales market until March at the earliest.
Chris, sorry about only picking these two things out of your post as you did a great job with your entire post.

First, Pentax always uses the same excuse they did not know the demand for their product was so great. It is a statement from Pentax which has been used too often. Everyone has seen the excitement over the K10D and the awards have to have helped their sales. I wonder if anyone at Pentax ever reads the acclaims and recommendations that this model has received. They were on a roll and now without bodies, they are going to lose sales for the "Instant Gratification" crowd that wants a camera now. These lost sales would have been good for Pentax Q1(Not sure of their quarter satement period).

Second, it is understandable that it takes time for product to reach market so the March timeframe seems reasonable. My only question is does Pentax have enough Sudoku books to keep everyone busy in the sales/marketing department?

01-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Chris, sorry about only picking these two things out of your post as you did a great job with your entire post.

First, Pentax always uses the same excuse they did not know the demand for their product was so great. It is a statement from Pentax which has been used too often. Everyone has seen the excitement over the K10D and the awards have to have helped their sales. I wonder if anyone at Pentax ever reads the acclaims and recommendations that this model has received. They were on a roll and now without bodies, they are going to lose sales for the "Instant Gratification" crowd that wants a camera now. These lost sales would have been good for Pentax Q1(Not sure of their quarter satement period).

Second, it is understandable that it takes time for product to reach market so the March timeframe seems reasonable. My only question is does Pentax have enough Sudoku books to keep everyone busy in the sales/marketing department?
Thank you.

First there are bodies out there to purchase, enough to last till March hopefully, just retailers can not get anymore.

The excuse may be an excuse, but it's true. When your total body count sales increase to these numbers I don't see how they could fathom a proper guestimate. Imagine selling 100000 of something a year, then you have a hit like the K10D and the sales are at 500000 bodies in the year. I don't think anyone with a decent degree could figure out the exact number to have on the side especially when a company like Ritz who hated Pentax forever finally decides to purchase the US supply of cameras.

Retailers have enough for demand so its not worry and I should have enough here to get us through till the new bodies arrive on the shelves. Heck we will even have Pentax here at the store when the bodies arrive and will be having Pentax week, an event showcasing the cameras and also to give classes and talk camera. We have our date and we like it
01-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
???

"The good news though is the new bodies do rock and we will soon see the official specs and enjoy the wait for the pre-summer release".

and then, in the next breath:

"First there are bodies out there to purchase, enough to last till March"

Uh, that could cover a span as much as 17 or 18 weeks (first of March until June 20th or so)...

First of March, I can wait.

If it's mid-June, I'll own another brand by then.
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
Forum Member

Yeah..I just recently decided to get a camera, and to my surprise new models are all coming soon. Soon enough? Not sure...I really want one. So its a good thing and a bad thing. Don't know whether to wait all the way for a new Pentax, get a K10D, or go for another brands new product if it comes sooner =\

01-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Oceanic Quote
Yeah..I just recently decided to get a camera, and to my surprise new models are all coming soon. Soon enough? Not sure...I really want one. So its a good thing and a bad thing. Don't know whether to wait all the way for a new Pentax, get a K10D, or go for another brands new product if it comes sooner =\
I am going to wait as I was thinking of another brand to go with my current Pentax. Then reality hit when I priced out "the other brand" lenses I wanted to start with.
01-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #36
Forum Member

RE:

QuoteQuote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondla View Post
I actually get good communication from Pentax. They are the ones who told me not to order anymore K10D/K100D supers. There aren't any in their warehouse. They will actually facilitate stock shipment from one dealer to another (if another dealer has too many bodies). They seriously underestimated the demand for the cameras. Ritz scooped up a bunch too. Factories are being/have already been switched over for new cameras. Not sure they can move that up much sooner. Got a fair supply from other dist.
Rep said K10D grip probably won't fit new camera. Wrong contours on body. I have no beef with Pentax. They treat me well.
thanks
barondla
Oh it's more than that I'm happy to say.
Its surprising how much information one can glean from a simple answer/response. I am predicting the new K20D will have an integrated vertical grip built into the body. No wonder the K200D now comes with a battery grip! They moved this feature to the lower body since theyre upscale body doesnt need it anymore!

Last edited by jeff1101; 01-08-2008 at 12:36 AM.
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I hope not. K10D is big camera for a Pentax. Many people, including me, like to take the grip off when hiking etc. Unless it is smaller than K10D/grip.
thanks
barondla
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I hope not. K10D is big camera for a Pentax. Many people, including me, like to take the grip off when hiking etc. Unless it is smaller than K10D/grip.
thanks
barondla
It's not attached, just thinking too much into what I said. It will have something else other than a body change to make the grip the different.

01-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
It's not attached, just thinking too much into what I said. It will have something else other than a body change to make the grip the different.
'cos it uses another battery, I say
I'm not that convinced but it is the most possible reason I see.

Ok, now that we know why, we should guess battery model. Hope it is an existing one, it would be cool... cheap batteries like np400 instead of DLI-50
01-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bigger buffer

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

Ok, now that we know why, we should guess battery model. Hope it is an existing one, it would be cool... cheap batteries like np400 instead of DLI-50
Faster fps with the grip. If you want a machine gun pay for the extra clip. How about that for a wild guess?
01-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

Aarrrgh... not another battery type please

If I keep my Ds and K10, that would mean 3 types of charger/batteries to carry... yuk!
01-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Faster fps with the grip. If you want a machine gun pay for the extra clip. How about that for a wild guess?
A better reason but I did not want to generate too much awaiting for something like that.
That would be VERY nice
01-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Aarrrgh... not another battery type please

If I keep my Ds and K10, that would mean 3 types of charger/batteries to carry... yuk!
hehehe I said the same thing about my memory cards.

I have:

Smartmedia for 1 camera.

XD for 1 Camera

CF for 1 camera

SD for 2 cameras......

And if I upgrade my phone, what is that xd but small version called...I would need that too...ahhh the world is a challenging place to photograph.
01-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #44
Pentaxian

[QUOTE=equinox;148435
I have:

Smartmedia for 1 camera.
XD for 1 Camera
[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #45

If it does include another battery type, I sure hope they implemented a charger with the prongs built into the battery cradle, like canon uses. Cuts out the cord, and saves space and some weight in the camera bag. Much easier to pack though.