Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Dude, nice try. This is a very friendly forum.

You insult Canon users(me) in your reply and expect sympathy? I am on your side that your opinion is valid, but really; I am a characteristic of a typical Canon user???????

I think I may have been insulted.

But please do stay as you seem to know what you want and this forum is friendly.
I'll happily insult you if you use a Rebel/xx0D or x0D Canon! They're terrible

01-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #47

A Sony user would be interested in a Pentax body for manual (m42) focusing because with the Sony body the adapter is always adding at least a slight amount to the distance from sensor to lens, there is no focal length adjustment for shake reduction, and there is no focus confirmation (some adapters do offer this, but more expensive and not always working well with various lenses).

If the k100d body is used the only drawback is the viewfinder is not as good as with the k10d, a real plus for manual focusing. You won't find a k10d for $250 but with prices falling recently it still might be considering for a little more money. The k100d is definitely useable though, you can add the magnifier and that helps, or maybe a different screen.

Warning! if you are a lensaholic and pick up a Pentax body you will soon be checking out the Limited lenses... and I do speak from experience.
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
If you want a cheap Pentax you might want to look into a second hand *istDS - for manual focus it has a Pentaprism which I believe is a little brighter than the Penta mirror used in the K100D.
Still in love with my DS.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking into the DS and older cameras now. The biggest thing against it is the lack of shake reduction. I have really grown used to it on the minolta/sony now.

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
How easy is it to focus manually with your Sony? Never tried one so I have no clue. And are there no older KM lenses to try on your current camera that would be suitable for manual photography? Might save you some bucks...
MF with the A700 is a little easier than with the A100 and KM 5D (due to the brighter viewfinder etc), but still nothing compares to a real manual focus screen. I plan on replacing the screen on this cheap camera I am after (a little to scared to do that on my A700). I currently use the Takumar Super 50/1.4 on the A700, and getting the focus right can be a little tricky wide open. Maybe with a little more practice...

The problem with old minolta manual focus lenses is that they use a different mount from the AF cameras, and cant be used without an adapter (that has an optical element). Several people have been successful in modifying these old lenses so that they work with the AF mounts. I am currently working on doing that to a Rokkor 58/1.2 lens so I can use it with the Sony AF cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Warning! if you are a lensaholic and pick up a Pentax body you will soon be checking out the Limited lenses... and I do speak from experience.
LOL. I know what you mean. The limited/pancake lenses is another reason why I am so intrigued by pentax. I might allow myself to get one to start with
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
wow..getting edgy...

on another note...the grips on those sony's look really really awful...
Give the grips a try. They put your hand in the same position relative to the lens in both orientations. Works really well. Much better than most grips (I like Pentax's low-profile grips too, but the Canon monster grips suck).

01-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
I'll happily insult you if you use a Rebel/xx0D or x0D Canon! They're terrible
hehehe I have been insulted for worse things than this. When I went Digital DSLR I didn't mind the Drebel. But when the beautiful new Pentax *istDs came into my favorite store, they opened the box, let me try it with the kit lens and I REFUSED to give it back.

They were willing to tke my credit card to make me pay for it of course and the thought of a cheap Drebel just didn't happen.

To each their own, as there are some very good photographers with the BiG Canon lenses that shoot birds. And the pictures are incredible.
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can create some amazing photographs with a Holga MF camera, too, but I don't think anyone would argue they are a quality system.
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
A Sony user would be interested in a Pentax body for manual (m42) focusing because with the Sony body the adapter is always adding at least a slight amount to the distance from sensor to lens,
This doesn't negatively impact using M42 lenses on Minolta cameras. Unlike the Pentax K mount (which is identical in distance to M42 lenses) the Minolta A mount sits 1.5mm shorter, so the 1.5mm thickness of the adapter is exactly what is needed to maintain the distance scale and infinity focus on those cameras.

(Some cheap off-brand Pentax adapters sit 1.5mm further out too, but this makes the M42 lens too far away on a Pentax. That's where the confusion lies.)

01-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
MF with the A700 is a little easier than with the A100 and KM 5D (due to the brighter viewfinder etc), but still nothing compares to a real manual focus screen.
You may want to see if they make a dedicated manual focus screen for it. They did make one of those for the Minolta 7D, although you had to send it in for their technicians to replace the screen.

The focus screens on the Pentax cameras are pretty good. I have the LL-60 screens on all of mine, and I find these screens (rather than the newer LL-80) to be better for manual focus.