Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Is it? I don't know how well the A100 is selling, but the A200 is far too similar to its predecessor to attract that much attention. And no matter how much $$$ Sony pours into marketing the product, if it's crap, it doesn't sell. (someone could mention the 350/400D here, but those sell on legacy alone)
This is not too dissimilar to our own belowed brand. Just think of *ist DL, DS, DL2, DS2 and K110/110Ds were not too disimilar either...

They were all just evolution of the same thing, very same way as Cannon's EOS 300/350/400D...

Sony just need to put something "new" on the market so people won't loose interrest in the brand.

01-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
The big giveaway on the processing is the ISO3200 option and the presence of the Bionz engine in the specs (same as the A700, but not the A100). The A100 was really nothing more than a slightly restyled KM 5D with a 10MP sensor and a larger buffer and this showed in the fact that a processing pipeline designed for the Sony 6MP sensor simply couldn't handle the noise of the 10MP sensor.
Actually, the ∂100 used the Bionz. Stupid name though, IMO- both the camera and the processor.
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #33

It is very interesting to read all these comments here.

I am very impressed by the A200. Sony took a great camera (the Minolta 5D/Sony A100), and updated fixed most of its flaws. They resisted the temptation of upping the sensor resolution. They didnt put in a lame implementation of live view. The A200 is a no gimmick, high quality entry level camera, very unlike Sony in my opinion.

Also, many people here are forgetting the venue of this announcement. We still have to see what Sony has in store for PMA later this month. Rumors indicate one (or two) models between the A200 and A700, complete with live-view, flip screens etc. That is where the real innovation is going to come. The A200, and even the A700 are just solid, reliable cameras with excellent ergonomics, and no gimmicks, that show Sony's commitment and seriousness.

Update: Check out this thread (second page) on dyxum for pics of rumored A200's elder brother.

- A happy Sony A700 user who is considering a cheap Pentax K100D for a second manual-focus body.

Last edited by ankit; 01-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #34

[QUOTE=ankit;148526]

Update: Check out this thread (second page) on dyxum for pics of rumored A200's elder brother.
[QUOTE]

My Olympus 8080 flips out like this and is extremely usefull.

Last edited by equinox; 01-08-2008 at 04:25 PM.
01-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
Rumors indicate one (or two) models between the A200 and A700, complete with live-view, flip screens etc. That is where the real innovation is going to come.
But why would they put in LiveView in A300 or A500 but not A700? Sony was just saying that the "technology is not there yet" two months ago when A700 was launched. A700 is supposed to be the showcase flagship for Sony APS-C cameras. So I very much doubt that we would see A300/A500 before PMA especially with those rumored features. I believe they reserve the pre-PMA announcement for A900.

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to pick up a cheap clearance A100 body as a backup rather than something from a totally different system?
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to pick up a cheap clearance A100 body as a backup rather than something from a totally different system?
Hmm. interesting why a "happy Sony A700 user" would consider an entry level K100D for manual focus. Doesn't Sony offer the option for manual focus? Why not choose the A200 that he lauds about?

Perhaps the real reason is why the A100 is out of the running because the K100D trumps the A100 in picture quality, build quality and price. I'm also wondering why a happy Sony DSLR user is lurking on a Pentax forum. After all if he is willing to fork out good money for a Sony, why waste time with a Pentax?
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But why would they put in LiveView in A300 or A500 but not A700? Sony was just saying that the "technology is not there yet" two months ago when A700 was launched. A700 is supposed to be the showcase flagship for Sony APS-C cameras. So I very much doubt that we would see A300/A500 before PMA especially with those rumored features. I believe they reserve the pre-PMA announcement for A900.

It's nothing new for lower-level models to get features that the higher models don't. I believe Canon first put their dust buster on the 400D before introducing it to their other higher models. It's a curious strategy, though.

01-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Hmm. interesting why a "happy Sony A700 user" would consider an entry level K100D for manual focus. Doesn't Sony offer the option for manual focus? Why not choose the A200 that he lauds about?

Perhaps the real reason is why the A100 is out of the running because the K100D trumps the A100 in picture quality, build quality and price. I'm also wondering why a happy Sony DSLR user is lurking on a Pentax forum. After all if he is willing to fork out good money for a Sony, why waste time with a Pentax?
Dude, no need to get all nasty. I was tempted by the K100D because it is so cheap. I've always wanted a pentax, and if I can get a K100D for about $200, it would be a great second camera. I would probably use it with M42 lenses only, so it really doesnt matter whether I get a sony, a pentax, or a canon. All I want is something that doesnt cost too much money. The pentax has an added benefit of allowing user-entered focal length for better image stabilization (unfortunately sony does not have this yet).

Also, the A200 certainly is making me reconsider what camera to get. I doubt I'll get the A200 though (I want somthing that costs <$250). So it is going to be a used pentax K100D (once the K200D is released), or a used Minolta 5D or even a Sony A100. Quite honestly, I cannot tell the difference in image quality between these cameras and I am not getting this for pixel-peeping anyways.

I never implied Pentax is inferior to Sony. It is just another option that I am open to consider. In fact, I've always wanted a Pentax, and this might be one of the reasons why I started looking at the K100D in the first place.

Back to the topic of the thread (the new Sony DSLRs), if the rumors are to be believed, two (yes, two) more Sony cameras are to be announced before PMA. One is this A200+LV thing, and another camera that would be under the A700. The A900 will probably be released sometime in summer/fall.

Again, if I am not welcome here, I'll go away. There are a lot of non-sony/minolta users at dyxum, and I assumed you guys would have a similar nice and friendly atmosphere here. But your post sounds characteristic of a typical canon user.
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to own two camera systems. That's still another Pentax user and more coin for Pentax's R&D plus marketing. Besides, the A200 are still specs at this point. The image quality and performance is still a question mark, so why not see what the competition has to offer (in the form of the K200D)? I'm thinking he's just doing due diligence, like most of us have before settling in with Pentax.

And yes, the A100 had flaws, especially with the noise. Like Pentax before with the camera succession using Sony 6 MP sensor, Sony updated the A100.
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Dude, no need to get all nasty. I was tempted by the K100D because it is so cheap. I've always wanted a pentax, and if I can get a K100D for about $200, it would be a great second camera. I would probably use it with M42 lenses only, so it really doesnt matter whether I get a sony, a pentax, or a canon. All I want is something that doesnt cost too much money. The pentax has an added benefit of allowing user-entered focal length for better image stabilization (unfortunately sony does not have this yet).

Also, the A200 certainly is making me reconsider what camera to get. I doubt I'll get the A200 though (I want somthing that costs <$250). So it is going to be a used pentax K100D (once the K200D is released), or a used Minolta 5D or even a Sony A100. Quite honestly, I cannot tell the difference in image quality between these cameras and I am not getting this for pixel-peeping anyways.

I never implied Pentax is inferior to Sony. It is just another option that I am open to consider. In fact, I've always wanted a Pentax, and this might be one of the reasons why I started looking at the K100D in the first place.

Back to the topic of the thread (the new Sony DSLRs), if the rumors are to be believed, two (yes, two) more Sony cameras are to be announced before PMA. One is this A200+LV thing, and another camera that would be under the A700. The A900 will probably be released sometime in summer/fall.

Again, if I am not welcome here, I'll go away. There are a lot of non-sony/minolta users at dyxum, and I assumed you guys would have a similar nice and friendly atmosphere here. But your post sounds characteristic of a typical canon user.
No, nothing in your last post was offensive, in the least. Please do stay and consider Pentax. I'm in the very least approving of Sony's intent to stay in the market, as well as their determination.

I don't think Sony would do a total product saturation, though. Maybe one product between the A200 and the A700, and that's that. Too many cameras might eventually undercut one of the models eventually. Then again, Sony has the resources, so there.

Wait for what Pentax has to offer, though. If the people under NDA's enthusiasm is to be considered, they're looking to be serious competitors.
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #41

Dude, no need to get all nasty.

Dude, nice try. This is a very friendly forum.

You insult Canon users(me) in your reply and expect sympathy? I am on your side that your opinion is valid, but really; I am a characteristic of a typical Canon user???????

I think I may have been insulted.

But please do stay as you seem to know what you want and this forum is friendly.
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

wow..getting edgy...

on another note...the grips on those sony's look really really awful...
01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
Dude, nice try. This is a very friendly forum.

You insult Canon users(me) in your reply and expect sympathy? I am on your side that your opinion is valid, but really; I am a characteristic of a typical Canon user???????

I think I may have been insulted.

But please do stay as you seem to know what you want and this forum is friendly.
Sorry. didnt mean to offend anyone. It was a joke.

For what its worth, I use a digital rebel at work myself, although most of the time i am tinkering with its innards rather than taking pictures with it.
01-09-2008, 02:55 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A sony and a canon user

It just gets worse and worse.

Only joking of course, welcome and when you get your Pentax post photos, even those shots from your Sony (I think they allow that here).

Why do you need a manual focus though? That intrigues me.

If you want a cheap Pentax you might want to look into a second hand *istDS - for manual focus it has a Pentaprism which I believe is a little brighter than the Penta mirror used in the K100D.

Still in love with my DS.
01-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #45

Sorry. didnt mean to offend anyone. It was a joke.

For what its worth, I use a digital rebel at work myself, although most of the time i am tinkering with its innards rather than taking pictures with it.
I was only kidding around too...

I own OLD Pentax/Canon/Olympus so I don't care what other people use. As long as you are satisfied with your pictures than that is all that matters. And from what I have seen it is the photographer not the camera that takes good pictures.

I can tell you manual focus with my istDs is quite nice as the viewfinder allows you to actually see what you are focussing on. I find with my big Sigma, I enjoy the creative control of focussing manually on birds. So I can see your point trying to build a cheap manual focus setup.

How easy is it to focus manually with your Sony? Never tried one so I have no clue. And are there no older KM lenses to try on your current camera that would be suitable for manual photography? Might save you some bucks...