Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
And what if the full 6 x 4.5 frame could be done with multi sensors, coupled together by electronics (Sort of a panoramic picture) and internal software to merge all the sensor captures into one photo?

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
I don't think so, there will always be space between sensors so IMO it wouldn't be possible.

01-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Mike (MikePerham)

IMHO yours are the wisest, most pertinent and erudite words to be found in this entire post:

To the best of my knowledge, neither Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya (nor any other competing companies for that matter) have yet seen fit to produce a GENUINE fully-functioning commercially viable 6 x 4.5mm digital sensor. Even if they did, the world-wide demand for such a device would be 'relatively' tiny by comparison to DSLR or compact digital markets, due to the limited requirement and sky-high retail cost. The principle is called 'supply and demand' and I sometimes begin to wonder whether many photographers have the faintest idea about the technical complexities involved in fabricating a flawless CCD/CMOS sensor and just how difficult the process is ? The 'rejection ratio' of faulty sensors might shock many of you !
Therefore could someone with a modicum of common sense KINDLY EXPLAIN to me how a corporation with Pentax's relatively meagre R&D budget (courtesy of Hoya's recent financial injection) could all of a sudden magically generate the astonishing ability to outsmart the rest of the photographic world in one fell swoop and leave them trailing in their wake by producing a
true 6 x 4.5mm medium-format DSLR ? Sorry folks, but I fear some of you are entering into the realms of fantasy YET AGAIN !! Wasn't it Shakespeare who penned the immortal phrase "Perchance to dream" etc.......

Best regards
Richard
As far as I understand the situation: they would source the sensor from Kodak anyway (well that's what the original plan, at least). As for designing smaller sensor, Pentax did it so itis possible. Manufacturing is also possible since they have a deal with Samsung (yes they can do that easily) and since Samsung will use that sensor too they both benefit so Samsung will not milk Pentax for that.
01-09-2008, 02:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everything could be, but I don't understand why they would present a redesigned 55mm wide to accompany the new camera, unless it is the standard lens to accompany the camera.

A wideangle would make sense if it would be a very wide angle to compensate for the reduced sensor... like a 28mm...

I strongly believe that we are are going to see a "more-than-full-format" camera, with a sensor just a little larger than 24x36 (like 30x40), a format similar to Canon or Nikon pro bodies and the 645 bayonet. All that for the cost of a Nikon D3 and around 28-30 megapixel.

Ater all, why should they cram 14Mp in an APS-C format sensor if not to test the resolution for the "FF-plus" marvel?
01-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Everything could be, but I don't understand why they would present a redesigned 55mm wide to accompany the new camera, unless it is the standard lens to accompany the camera.

A wideangle would make sense if it would be a very wide angle to compensate for the reduced sensor... like a 28mm...

I strongly believe that we are are going to see a "more-than-full-format" camera, with a sensor just a little larger than 24x36 (like 30x40), a format similar to Canon or Nikon pro bodies and the 645 bayonet. All that for the cost of a Nikon D3 and around 28-30 megapixel.

Ater all, why should they cram 14Mp in an APS-C format sensor if not to test the resolution for the "FF-plus" marvel?
With what system? 35mm lenses will not cover it (and they do not sell any or almost, anymore) and using 645 lenses just for being a tad litlle bit bigger than 35mm is no way a good idea.
You would end with the problem of the 645 platform (slow and bulky) and no 645 advantage compared to competition. I do not beleive in that any minute.

01-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, they could have as of now a lot of zoom and tele lens in production, plus a larger bayonet that could allow the design of telecentric lenses much easily than the K bayonet.

Also, those lenses are right now in the hand of pros (people who use Canon and Nikon, but have Pentax for the medium format), and pros are the market for such a camera. How many pros have K-bayonet Pentax lenses?
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #36

10th and 24th what's the diff?

I'm a bit fuzzy about these two conferences. What is the differance between the Dubai date and the end of January date? I want to be sure I am not waiting for the wrong date, as I am anticipating the Dubai info to guide me in my camera replacement. My K10D was deemed unrepairable by Pentax and my insurance may cover the "latest" camera.
Thanks, phil
01-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #37
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
I'm a bit fuzzy about these two conferences. What is the differance between the Dubai date and the end of January date? I want to be sure I am not waiting for the wrong date, as I am anticipating the Dubai info to guide me in my camera replacement. My K10D was deemed unrepairable by Pentax and my insurance may cover the "latest" camera.
Thanks, phil
My wild guess is that the 10th conference will give some time to the specialized press to write a preview of the cameras so they are not old news by the moment they make it completely public (january 24th)

01-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
And what if the full 6 x 4.5 frame could be done with multi sensors, coupled together by electronics (Sort of a panoramic picture) and internal software to merge all the sensor captures into one photo?

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
Chips are made from large pieces of material called "wafers": more chips you can fit on a single wafer the better is...that's why smaller chips costs less. So, why cut chips for reputting them together?
01-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Maybe the big news will be that upon the announcement, Pentax is prepared to ship.....the pre-press conference would indeed provide time for the reviewers 'extraordinaire' to do their review so that upon conference, the cams can be shipped...this would indeed be exciting.
01-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
My wild guess is that the 10th conference will give some time to the specialized press to write a preview of the cameras so they are not old news by the moment they make it completely public (january 24th)
Agreed, I remember reading on one forum (was it from Benjikan?) that the announcement on the 24th would be published with a preview on DPR....
01-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Let me get this straight.
Pentax are having a press conference in Dubai, flying in execs from France (that we know of) and probably other Pentax people from around the world, possibly paying to fly photography journalists to the press conference as well (I assume Journos get a free ticket).

All to announce two cameras that are the Pentax answers to canikon xti/D40x & 40D/300D and to give the poor journos a whole 2 weeks to have their stories all written up ready to be published for an announcement on the 24th Jan -

the very same day canon (the biggest most popular and most newsworthy photo brand; oh and they just happen to spend a squillion $$ on advertising in photo mags) make their rumoured announcement of a new FF 5DII. Did I mention canon spend a squillion $$ on ads too.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Why would you take the risk of a whole heap of articles coming out on the day of your big announcement that may or may not show your product in a flattering light.

Seriously the Headlines will be canon realease new FF camera oh and yeah Pentx have two new models as well (that pays for the free booze) now back to a FF canon....
01-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Seriously the Headlines will be canon realease new FF camera oh and yeah Pentx have two new models as well (that pays for the free booze) now back to a FF canon....
Even journos will get fed up with the umpteenth Canon dSLR, just like car journos will get fed up with the umpteenth Ford they have to review. You may or may not know it, but Pentax still has a lot of goodwill in the press. If they deliver, then it is possible that the market will change. It has happened before and it will happen again. No-one says that Canon and Nikon are bound to stay on positions #1 and #2.
01-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, any leaks from Dubai? Maybe some journalists might have left their blogs or whatnot unguarded?
01-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Chips are made from large pieces of material called "wafers": more chips you can fit on a single wafer the better is...that's why smaller chips costs less. So, why cut chips for reputting them together?
Because they obviously cannot make one chip the size of a medium format in one piece that the camera can use, otherwise they would have done it. I'm not a computer scientist, but tell me why there aren't a one chip the size of a medium format camera lens circle?
Thank you for your kindness!
01-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Considering this is one of the most popular English-speaking forums (sorry Pentax User UK) maybe Pentax should make their first announcement here.

BTW, Is Adam still in Az or is he gone to Dubai....hmmmmmmmmmm