Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that having the product ready the day of the announcement would be huge news, and a great market move. Nikon and Pentax have both been guilty of not making their projected deadline for new cameras. Wouldn't it be nice to have the camera ready for purchase the day of the official announcement? Put it in the consumers hands the day you blow them away with the tech specs.

01-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, any leaks from Dubai? Maybe some journalists might have left their blogs or whatnot unguarded?
Well, there was this guy at dpreview and he claimed that he has a 18 page documents on K20D. But he got challenged and ridiculed before he could say anything useful.

Anyways, he seemed to "imply" that the ISO would go up to 6400, and that the AF "probably" has no big change. He did not seem to know Pentax very well, so take everything with a grain of salt. Given his non-Pentax background, he certainly did not seem overly excited about K20D. Now does he really have K20D info, or are we all in a bit of a disappointment given all the hypes and excitement over the K20D? I wonder....

Last edited by nosnoop; 01-10-2008 at 10:28 AM.
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Well, there was this guy at dpreview and he claimed that he has a 18 page documents on K20D. But he got challenged and ridiculed before he could say anything useful.

Anyways, he seemed to "imply" that the ISO would go up to 6400, and that the AF "probably" has no big change. He did not seem to know Pentax very well, so take everything with a grain of salt. Given his non-Pentax background, he certainly did not seem overly excited about K20D. Now does he really have K20D info, or are we all in a bit of a disappointment given all the hypes and excitement over the K20D? I wonder....
It will all make for good entertainment though...the only thing that will trump the gloating trolls will be Phil Askey giving the new cameras that four letter word that set so many a Pentaxians keyboard on fire That is unless all our speculations missed the mark and Pentax do rock the dslr world...one can only hope.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-10-2008 at 11:14 AM.
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Because they obviously cannot make one chip the size of a medium format in one piece that the camera can use, otherwise they would have done it. I'm not a computer scientist, but tell me why there aren't a one chip the size of a medium format camera lens circle?
Thank you for your kindness!
Actually it has more to do with the cost, waste and economics of the process. Can they do it? I'm sure they can. Is it economically feasible? Probably not. The silicon wafers are cut from long, grown crystals called boules. These are then sliced, masked, and the devices are printed onto them (this is waay simplified). If a 6-inch diameter wafer yields, say, 160 15x24mm devices (actually less), and if we assume a defect/rejection rate of 20 percent, we have a yield per wafer of approx. 128.

Now, let's make 48x36mm devices on that same 6-in. wafer. Now we can only fit 32 devices (actually less) on it. Minus that same 20 perfect rejection, and we have yield of around 25. You throw away a lot more money with each reject, now. It costs roughly the same to have created each wafer, so the larger devices will have to sell for at least five times what the APS-C size devices sells for. Couple with with the fact that you are essentially making the smaller devices at a five-times faster rate, and there is very likely not a large enough market at this time, at that price, for devices that large.

It's all a trade-off. If the outcome was guaranteed, everyone would be doing it.

01-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Link available to dpreview?

Whether true or not, is there a functioning link to this guys post with the "18 page document?" What is this posters name btw?

thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

01-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You Mean......???????????

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
It will all make for good entertainment though...the only thing that will trump the gloating trolls will be Phil Askey giving the new cameras that four letter word that set so many a Pentaxians keyboard on fire That is unless all our speculations missed the mark and Pentax do rock the dslr world...one can only hope.
You Mean the..............................................

"JUST" word?
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I said...It is now 10:38 PM in Dubai and no leaks.....

01-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Whether true or not, is there a functioning link to this guys post with the "18 page document?" What is this posters name btw?

thanks
I think he was legit (gut feeling) but quickly got hushed away before the thread went full.

Re: APS-C it is -> CORRECT: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Enjoy
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Off cource there is no leaks. The camera is weather proof.

Tim
01-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #55

It was rumored one guy was about to released some information counter to his NDA, but then Ben found out and took him out back and shot him... naked. I don't think we'll be hearing from him again any time soon. It was 14MP of ugggh
01-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCur Quote
and shot him...
did he shot him w/ a 14MP caliber PEF ? that was a good death then...
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
did he shot him w/ a 14MP caliber PEF ? that was a good death then...
...it was a good day to die...
01-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Off cource there is no leaks. The camera is weather proof.
It never rains in Dubai. Heck, there's even no water in the Dubai deserts
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCur Quote
It was rumored one guy was about to released some information counter to his NDA, but then Ben found out and took him out back and shot him... naked. I don't think we'll be hearing from him again any time soon. It was 14MP of ugggh

No it was arrrrggggggghhhhhhh.....ayyyyyyyyyyyyy......NO Not with the Canon 1Ds Mklll....oooooooooooooooooooo....nnnnooooooooooooo.....pfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;.............................................
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #60
Veteran Member

(Banging fists on the keyboard...) WE WANT LEAKS, WE WANT LEAKS!!!